• Last Updated:
  • Jan 8th, 2013 4:29 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2006
3041 posts
690 upvotes
Heads up guys. Wifi enabled still means wire is needed to connect this unit to your system I think. I know this because I recently put in a Honeywell RedLink system where the thermostat talks to a control unit beside the furnace with no wires. Also, if you get a RedLink gateway, you can use a phone app to control the HVAC over the Internet. Just a heads up that these wireless units may not be fully wireless. Someone who knows the exact details should jump in. I don't see a mention of RedLink in the description of this unit.

The benefit of RedLink is you can move the thermostat to another room and it will take temp readings there. Plus for those of you who added air con in an older home with only 2 wires (heat + fan) then you will have needed a fast stat to make a 5 or 8 wire system work in a 2 wire system. The RedLink technology allows you to by pass this old clunky, robbery technology.
Aug 27, 2011
474 posts
143 upvotes
BELLEVILLE
bowmah wrote:
Dec 4th, 2012 1:14 am
Heads up guys. Wifi enabled still means wire is needed to connect this unit to your system I think. I know this because I recently put in a Honeywell RedLink system where the thermostat talks to a control unit beside the furnace with no wires. Also, if you get a RedLink gateway, you can use a phone app to control the HVAC over the Internet. Just a heads up that these wireless units may not be fully wireless. Someone who knows the exact details should jump in. I don't see a mention of RedLink in the description of this unit.

The benefit of RedLink is you can move the thermostat to another room and it will take temp readings there. Plus for those of you who added air con in an older home with only 2 wires (heat + fan) then you will have needed a fast stat to make a 5 or 8 wire system work in a 2 wire system. The RedLink technology allows you to by pass this old clunky, robbery technology.

Redlink is a different thing all together then these wifi thermostats. These wifi thermostats use your existing wifi home network. Redlink creates its own network using a different operating frequency. Yes these are hardwired units but they give you access through a smartphone/tablet app or browser based control
Deal Addict
Oct 28, 2006
1189 posts
56 upvotes
Woodbridge
jajola wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2012 10:39 pm
This seems pretty handy. It would be nice not to have to get out of bed to change the temperature if too hot/cold. Anyone have any experience with these?

I have one and it's pretty neat. No issues to report of except the built in weather station doesn't seem to work for Canada yet, that feature shows the temperature or weather forecast within the app/web page, so you can make judgments on how you want to schedule the thermostat. My GF uses it exactly how you mentioned, when in bed, she just grabs her ipod touch and changes the thermostat to the desired temperature. In the summer, I had an irregular schedule and would turn on the AC before I got home. I bought it this back in the end of July when they just hit the Canadian market.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2002
2371 posts
276 upvotes
GTA
Anyone seen this at GTA Costco yet ? Checked Scarborough store yesterday no luck
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2012
1119 posts
423 upvotes
spensar wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2012 2:01 am
One thing with the Peaksaver is you don't have physical control over it. A relative in HVAC can't touch the Peaksaver units when doing service on a house, can't disconnect them without getting Hydro involved. At least with the Honeywell you own it and control it.
This is not true
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2006
3041 posts
690 upvotes
Diesel7926 wrote:
Dec 4th, 2012 7:34 am
Redlink is a different thing all together then these wifi thermostats. These wifi thermostats use your existing wifi home network. Redlink creates its own network using a different operating frequency. Yes these are hardwired units but they give you access through a smartphone/tablet app or browser based control
Yes, that was why I spent the time to draft the note. This is a hard wired unit and yes, you can control the Thermostat with your phone app. For those who need to control the thermostat from another room, ask yourself this. If the thermostat not doing it's job at keeping your home temp in the zone that you want it. Is it because you have a larger home, different floors and you only have 1 thermostat to sense the right temp? Is the thermostat in your kitchen (say on the main floor) and the upstairs gets too cold or hot at night? If so, consider the Redlink system. It requires someone to install the interface to the furnace though. But, teh big advantage of this is that once installed, you can place the wireless thermostat anywhere in the house and it will sense the temp at that location.

Redlink system is about $200 on Amazon (thermostat + Redlink receiver unit). If you really wanted to control the Thermostat remotely, you can:

1. Buy a Redlink Gateway (about $90) and connect this to your router. Then you can use a phone app to control your HVAC as long as you have Wifi or internet.

2. Buy a remote control (about $100) and tell your system to sense the temp from the remote control instead of the thermostat.

3. Or as I mentioned, get the Redlink system and you can take the thermostat to wherever you want in the house.

Sounds complicated but for about $200, you get a good system that is truly Wireless.
May 27, 2010
176 posts
81 upvotes
Toronto
I'm not an expert on DIY home improvement, but I currently have a fan coil thermostat in my condo that I'd like to replace.

It looks like this:

Would either this Costco one or the NEST be an alternative?
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2012
1119 posts
423 upvotes
Scott Hall wrote:
Dec 4th, 2012 1:16 pm
I'm not an expert on DIY home improvement, but I currently have a fan coil thermostat in my condo that I'd like to replace.

It looks like this:

Would either this Costco one or the NEST be an alternative?
Sign-up with Peaksaver!!!! It's completely free and so is the install....I don't understand why anybody would want to pay for a thermostat and install it themselves when your local hydro utilities is giving top-of-the-line models away for free!!!
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2009
12503 posts
1754 upvotes
Toronto
Peaksaver sets up your house so that when you need AC the most, you don't get AC. My neighbours had it installed. On the hottest days of the year, their AC would be shut off for brief periods. Nice. :facepalm:

They say it was better last year because the utility company readjusted their thresholds for activating the peaksaver functionality, but personally, I'd much rather spend $50 on a programmable thermostat and keep control of my own house myself.
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2006
1289 posts
49 upvotes
Kinda cool, but I am holding out for the apple iThermostat. I hear it will be compatible with ios 10.9 and only cost $499.
May 17, 2006
487 posts
24 upvotes
Toronto
rabblerouser wrote:
Dec 4th, 2012 1:55 pm
Kinda cool, but I am holding out for the apple iThermostat. I hear it will be compatible with ios 10.9 and only cost $499.
Same here... I heard that it will also work in conjunction with the upcoming iPotty.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2005
2802 posts
225 upvotes
Hamilton
I signed up with peaksaver back in the last couple weeks of October. They (Hydro One) have still not set up an appoint to come install the thermostat/monitor. I called after a couple of weeks of waiting and they said they have to wait till a technician is in the area it could take weeks it could take a couple months. So stupid. I think if it goes on sale I will just buy it myself. I have been waiting 1.5 months now.
Deal Addict
May 8, 2002
3486 posts
105 upvotes
EugW wrote:
Dec 4th, 2012 1:51 pm
Peaksaver sets up your house so that when you need AC the most, you don't get AC. My neighbours had it installed. On the hottest days of the year, their AC would be shut off for brief periods. Nice. :facepalm:

They say it was better last year because the utility company readjusted their thresholds for activating the peaksaver functionality, but personally, I'd much rather spend $50 on a programmable thermostat and keep control of my own house myself.
i've had peaksaver for 3+ years and have never not been in control of my thermostat. and even if they did, they don't shut off ac, just raise the temp by one or two degrees... saves me paying $200 for some flashy thermostat, and i even got a discount on my utilities for a month from an incentive for signing up
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2002
2371 posts
276 upvotes
GTA
Mind you this is PeakSaver Plus http://www.torontohydro.com/sites/elect ... rFAQs.aspx
How does peaksaver PLUS work?
During peak electricity demand periods, Toronto Hydro will send a signal to the enrolled appliance (i.e your air conditioner, water heater and/or pool pump) to cycle down the power to the appliance for a short time, weekdays during the summer between 12 noon and 7 p.m., from May 1st to September 30th. Activations never occur on weekends or holidays.
Air conditioners are cycled down for 15 minutes out of every 30 minutes.
Water heaters are turned off a maximum of 4 hours.
Pool pumps are turned off a maximum of 4 hours. During this time, you will not be able to vacuum the pool.
So yeah, they SHUT OFF your AC
× < >