None
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2008
1606 posts
279 upvotes
Aurora
fudge_u wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2012 4:25 am
That peaksaver thermostat looks kinda like the Honeywell, minus the buttons.

WG
It is a debranded Honeywell.
fudge_u wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2012 4:25 am
Just an FYI for those looking at wireless thermostats. All of them require a 'C' wire to charge the wireless module, with the exception of the Nest.
WG
Peaksaver guy will install a module at your furnace giving you the C wire to the thermostat.
Jerico wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2012 6:06 am
My fathers peak saver is a Honeywell debranded. It's a touch screen like mine, but only a 5+2. I prefer full 7 day programmable.
This past summer the tech was at my house and said they are coming out with a firmware update giving it a full 7 days. He said it would be available in September and just call in. I did that and asked for it but at first was told they don't have such a thing, but then they said they will only do it if the existing one is "malfunctioning". Basically they don't want to send a tech just to reflash (has to be on-site).
spensar wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2012 7:01 am
One thing with the Peaksaver is you don't have physical control over it. A relative in HVAC can't touch the Peaksaver units when doing service on a house, can't disconnect them without getting Hydro involved. At least with the Honeywell you own it and control it.
Why even touch it when you have lifetime warranty for parts and labour? Call them and if it's not working they'll be there immediately. Guy showed up in 1.5 hrs after my call.
If you really like connecting and disconnecting stuff just call Peaksaver to cancel the service - then you own the devices to do whatever you want with. Most likely will lose the wireless features (since it goes through their website).
But, they have no way of knowing if it's disconnected without actually entering your home. So no harm in temporary work around the house - your HVAC relative is a wuss, hahaha. ;)
EugW wrote:
Dec 4th, 2012 6:51 pm
Peaksaver sets up your house so that when you need AC the most, you don't get AC. My neighbours had it installed. On the hottest days of the year, their AC would be shut off for brief periods. Nice. :facepalm:
It seems all the negative comments come from relatives of friends of neighbors of people who don't even own one.
joshmxpx wrote:
Dec 4th, 2012 8:28 pm
i've had peaksaver for 3+ years and have never not been in control of my thermostat. and even if they did, they don't shut off ac, just raise the temp by one or two degrees... saves me paying $200 for some flashy thermostat, and i even got a discount on my utilities for a month from an incentive for signing up
Agree, yet even 1 or 2 degrees is excessive - more than likely it won't even be noticeable. Especially if you work during the day.

Oh yeah, and if the Peaksaver program is not enough right now (in Ontario at least) you sign up for Peaksaver plus and get a free energy monitor valued at about $80 I think. Plus some times even give a cash incentive.

Free programmable WIFI thermostat, energy monitor, cash back (maybe), installation, lifetime warranty. That's the RFD way.
Oct 26, 2009
730 posts
119 upvotes
Asdf
Since Honeywell has removed all their competition through litigation I refuse to buy any of their products anymore. Once you start looking around you realize it's god damn hard to buy a reasonable thermostat that isn't Honeywell because of this. I did find a decent 7-day programmable thermostat from Lowes that wasn't Honeywell that I've been fairly happy with. It was $50. The only other non-Honeywell option seems to be dumping an asinine $250 on a nest.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2008
1606 posts
279 upvotes
Aurora
flaming homer wrote:
Dec 4th, 2012 8:43 pm
Mind you this is PeakSaver Plus http://www.torontohydro.com/sites/elect ... rFAQs.aspx

So yeah, they SHUT OFF your AC
Last time I checked my AC would automatically cycle itself anyway. So what's your point?

If you're paranoid of it getting warm then:
A) Lower the t-stat temp a degree on the super hot days (they cycled it ONCE all last year. ONE single day. I found out a week later when I logged into my account)
B) Call in to opt out of that particular day
C) Go to work during the day

Seriously, unless you're a heat-stroke prone senior citizen who stays home all day making ice sculptures you won't notice a difference.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2012
1119 posts
423 upvotes
Gweedz wrote:
Dec 4th, 2012 9:13 pm
Last time I checked my AC would automatically cycle itself anyway. So what's your point?

A) Lower the t-stat temp a degree on the super hot days (they cycled it ONCE all last year. ONE single day. I found out a week later when I logged into my account)
Seriously, unless you're a heat-stroke prone senior citizen who stays home all day making ice sculptures you won't notice a difference.
+1; a Peaksaver event day (when they cycle down your A/C) only happens during peak hours. Peak hours are during the hottest periods of the summer and when the industrial load is high. So basically Monday to Friday between the hours of 11am and 3pm.... So if you work M-F 9-5 you wont even notice that an event day has occured!!!
Nov 30, 2005
231 posts
30 upvotes
flaming homer wrote:
Dec 4th, 2012 4:16 pm
Anyone seen this at GTA Costco yet ? Checked Scarborough store yesterday no luck
Was in the Markham store (7 and Woodbine) and they didn't have any but looked them up. Elgin Mills and 404 store had 54... well 53 now as I bought one for the $119.99. They didn't say but it appears this is the only store that had stock or enough to make it worthwhile to drive to. It was only a short drive from where i was already so I went.

Costco stock number is 613427
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2009
12503 posts
1754 upvotes
Toronto
flaming homer wrote:
Dec 4th, 2012 8:43 pm
Mind you this is PeakSaver Plus http://www.torontohydro.com/sites/elect ... rFAQs.aspx

So yeah, they SHUT OFF your AC
According to some people in this thread, Toronto Hydro must either by lying or at best mistaken.

Gweedz wrote:
Dec 4th, 2012 8:57 pm
It seems all the negative comments come from relatives of friends of neighbors of people who don't even own one.
Uh yeah. My neighbours told me of their experience, a good reason not to get it. Their AC was SHUT OFF several times at the hottest times of the day for 15-20 mins each time.

Gweedz wrote:
Dec 4th, 2012 8:57 pm
Agree, yet even 1 or 2 degrees is excessive - more than likely it won't even be noticeable. Especially if you work during the day.
If you're keeping your AC on during the day while you're at work, you're doin' it wrong.

Otherwise, 2 degrees C is easily noticeable, esp. if it's humid. 25C with moderately high humidity in the house sucks. 23C with lower humidity is much, much more comfortable.
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2004
1655 posts
206 upvotes
Nepean
EugW wrote:
Dec 4th, 2012 6:51 pm
Peaksaver sets up your house so that when you need AC the most, you don't get AC. My neighbours had it installed. On the hottest days of the year, their AC would be shut off for brief periods. Nice. :facepalm:

They say it was better last year because the utility company readjusted their thresholds for activating the peaksaver functionality, but personally, I'd much rather spend $50 on a programmable thermostat and keep control of my own house myself.
So why the :facepalm: . It was doing exactly what the peaksaver program was designed to do. When demand outstrips supply, it shuts down or cycles a high power consuption non essential device. Or is this a facepalm for your neighbors who agreed to and signed up for a service that they didn't understand.
Wrocky
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2002
2371 posts
276 upvotes
GTA
wildzero wrote:
Dec 4th, 2012 9:26 pm
+1; a Peaksaver event day (when they cycle down your A/C) only happens during peak hours. Peak hours are during the hottest periods of the summer and when the industrial load is high. So basically Monday to Friday between the hours of 11am and 3pm.... So if you work M-F 9-5 you wont even notice that an event day has occured!!!
So what do I do when I have seniors and kids at home during summer weekdays ? Bring them to work with me ?

To the other wanker - "Cycle" means turn off, I'm willing to bet your AC never shuts off for more than 30 minutes when it's 40C outside when you need it
sabrederek wrote:
Dec 4th, 2012 11:55 pm
Was in the Markham store (7 and Woodbine) and they didn't have any but looked them up. Elgin Mills and 404 store had 54... well 53 now as I bought one for the $119.99. They didn't say but it appears this is the only store that had stock or enough to make it worthwhile to drive to. It was only a short drive from where i was already so I went.

Costco stock number is 613427
Thanks for the info, Elgin Mills is too far so hopefully it'll go southwards soon
Oct 31, 2005
491 posts
37 upvotes
this thread made me look up the two thermostats i installed few years ago.. and it turns out they were recalled because they can overheat and emit smoke.. :O

the recall was 2 years ago. i wonder if im still eligible for the free upgrade?
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2009
12503 posts
1754 upvotes
Toronto
Wrocky wrote:
Dec 5th, 2012 1:25 am
So why the :facepalm: . It was doing exactly what the peaksaver program was designed to do. When demand outstrips supply, it shuts down or cycles a high power consuption non essential device. Or is this a facepalm for your neighbors who agreed to and signed up for a service that they didn't understand.
The facepalm is directed at those who claimed it doesn't shut off. It DOES shut off, as evidenced by people who have the unit. That's what it's designed to do, and Toronto Hydro says so right on their website.

However, as I've said before, what it is designed to do is exactly the opposite of what I want my AC to be doing on the hottest of days, which is why I think "saving" a few bux on a thermostat this way is a bad idea for me, and a lot of other people. If you want to save money, you can shut it off yourself, or program your thermostat to do the same thing. It's a way better solution than having some random algorithm at a central site make your choices for you.

Now if you're at work and nobody (including pets) is at home, then it's stupid to have the AC running in the first place, so you should not need peaksaver then either. If you do need peaksaver then, then you have not programmed your thermostat properly.
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2008
1215 posts
911 upvotes
Thunder Bay
Just an FYI Union Gas in Ontario offers a $25.00 rebate if you purchase a programmable thermostat.

It is a credit that gets applied towards one of your bills. Must be bought and submitted before December 31, 2012.

Here is the link if anyone is interested. http://www.uniongas.com/residential/ene ... mostat.asp

Here is the link for the coupon: http://www.uniongas.com/residential/ene ... on0108.pdf
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2009
1647 posts
407 upvotes
EugW wrote:
Dec 5th, 2012 3:51 am
The facepalm is directed at those who claimed it doesn't shut off. It DOES shut off, as evidenced by people who have the unit. That's what it's designed to do, and Toronto Hydro says so right on their website.
But most people are talkign about Peaksaver (which increases the thermostat temp by 2deg for up to 2 hours at a time) and you are talking about Peaksaver PLUS (which will cycle AC/poolpumps/etc). I have signed up for Peaksaver, but would think twice before going to PLUS.
Deal Addict
May 8, 2002
3486 posts
105 upvotes
Gweedz wrote:
Dec 4th, 2012 9:13 pm

all good points
wildzero wrote:
Dec 4th, 2012 9:26 pm
EugW wrote:
Dec 5th, 2012 12:10 am
My neighbours told me of their experience, a good reason not to get it. Their AC was SHUT OFF several times at the hottest times of the day for 15-20 mins each time.
OMG!!!! 15 mins without A/C???!!!1! Did they survive?

If you're keeping your AC on during the day while you're at work, you're doin' it wrong.

Otherwise, 2 degrees C is easily noticeable, esp. if it's humid. 25C with moderately high humidity in the house sucks. 23C with lower humidity is much, much more comfortable.
Suck it up; turn on a fan or sit in your basement. i'm pretty sure i had my thermostat set to 24/25 all summer, and i made it through alright
Deal Addict
May 17, 2006
4760 posts
640 upvotes
GTA
turning ac off during the day doesn't really save any $. This ensures that there is not as much energy demand during work days. I tried increasing temp during day then on during offpeak... the difference is usually couple of bucks a month and its not worth it if you have family living in the house during the days.

We Shall Never Forget 7/08 '14
We Shall Never Forget 8/19 '11
× < >