• Apr 5th, 2018 12:57 pm
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2004
4810 posts
2888 upvotes
Vancouver
deal_king wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 5:38 pm
There seem to be 6 different posters in that thread that mentioned an issue, not 2. That's a good portion of all the posters in the thread. Go and read it yourself. The model number seems to be exactly the same. The issue is not danger- the issue is that it jumps/moves around, which is irritating to a user who is expecting a Mercedes level blender. If you can tolerate the risk in return for paying $200 less than a different Blendtec model without this problem, then this blender is for you. There is also the possibility that they fixed the issue in later manufacturing runs.

And by the way, Costco doesn't own these units, Blendtec does. Costco.ca orders are usually dropshipped from the distributor/manufacturer and the cost of returns is always bourne by the manufacturer, not Costco. Costco.ca makes money regardless of whether the product is good or not. (But I get what you're saying- Costco members usually expect a higher quality of product/service)
If it "jumps/moves around" then that is a danger issue. Because if a blender can MOVE on a counter, it could technically move to the edge of the counter, fall off, and kill a child. I have never seen a single incident where a blendtec blender jumps or moves around. Can you find a video online showing this?

The reason I say this is because everyone has a different level of "comfortable" when it comes to blenders. Yes, blenders do shake/make loud noise/vibrate, and that may lead some people to become confused, but the blender should not actually be moving on the counter.

Besides, I highly double adding 2lbs extra to a blender does anything. Imagine applying 2lbs pressure with your pinky finger to the top of the lid. And who wants that heavy of a blender anyways? Would rather have a lighter blender.

Are
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2009
14008 posts
5538 upvotes
So there are several RFD'ers like myself who were wondering how the Blendtec in this deal compares to the Oster Versa blenders. I have the 1100w Versa blender. I will say that this Blendtec absolutely blows the Versa out of the water. I'm shocked at the difference actually, I thought it was going to be minimal. To test this thing out, I made a smoothie. I put about 50% more ice than I usually would, and half as much water. Then I put whole flax seeds instead of the pre-ground ones that I used to use with the Versa. The Blendtec was half as loud as the Versa and it made the smoothie in about half the time. Plus, the smoothie came out significantly smoother with absolutely no residue from the whole flax seeds. I'm seriously impressed! For those of you on the fence who own the Versa blender already, do not hesitate on this deal! It's a huge upgrade! Thanks OP and thanks others for your insight into this deal.

Just by the way, the Versa blender would have failed this test. I always needed at least two cups of water in the blender and less ice otherwise it would be unable to do it.

I will say, however that my Blendtec did vibrate quite a bit during that test and the lid started coming off. I had to hold it down. I'm sure once I get more used to this thing I will figure out how to mitigate that.
Last edited by SickBeast on Feb 14th, 2018 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am a Public Mobile customer.
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2005
1768 posts
782 upvotes
Montreal
adamtheman wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 5:45 pm
If it "jumps/moves around" then that is a danger issue. Because if a blender can MOVE on a counter, it could technically move to the edge of the counter, fall off, and kill a child. I have never seen a single incident where a blendtec blender jumps or moves around. Can you find a video online showing this?

The reason I say this is because everyone has a different level of "comfortable" when it comes to blenders. Yes, blenders do shake/make loud noise/vibrate, and that may lead some people to become confused, but the blender should not actually be moving on the counter.

Besides, I highly double adding 2lbs extra to a blender does anything. Imagine applying 2lbs pressure with your pinky finger to the top of the lid. And who wants that heavy of a blender anyways? Would rather have a lighter blender.
I'm just relaying what I read in the other RFD thread on all 3 pages. Some of the comments are disturbing: costco-399-blendtec-designer-series-wil ... ar-1854807

I'm not a physicist- but my guess is that vibrating/jumping is resolved by a combination of extra weight and shock absorption? The other posters said that the heavier models don't move around.

I ordered one today- I'm hoping it doesn't start doing the cha-cha when I turn it on!
Best Deals: Star Alliance Silver without even flying= FREE
Fido CAN/USA Unlimited, CID/VM/SMS 2gb $33/month
3 Logitech X-230 Speakers (150% PM at Staples) = $13 each (I bought 3!)[/B]
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2004
4810 posts
2888 upvotes
Vancouver
deal_king wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 5:51 pm
I'm just relaying what I read in the other RFD thread on all 3 pages. Some of the comments are disturbing: costco-399-blendtec-designer-series-wil ... ar-1854807

I'm not a physicist- but my guess is that vibrating/jumping is resolved by a combination of extra weight and shock absorption? The other posters said that the heavier models don't move around.

I ordered one today- I'm hoping it doesn't start doing the cha-cha when I turn it on!
I just wanted to make it clear there's a difference between it vibrating and shaking, versus jumping around on the counter like a monkey on crack. I have no doubt that these blenders are seriously hardcore, and if you load them up with ice cubes and stuff, I fully expect the blendtec to be shaking seriously, and I expect even that I should be holding onto it just to be safe. But if it actually lifted up off the counter and moved around then that would be a problem and again I highly doubt blendtec would be selling these if that was the case. I imagine like any company they do significant product testing and they wouldn't sell these for 4+ years if there was a danger issue. That's all I am saying.
Aug 27, 2009
629 posts
348 upvotes
adamtheman wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 6:06 pm
I just wanted to make it clear there's a difference between it vibrating and shaking, versus jumping around on the counter like a monkey on crack. I have no doubt that these blenders are seriously hardcore, and if you load them up with ice cubes and stuff, I fully expect the blendtec to be shaking seriously, and I expect even that I should be holding onto it just to be safe. But if it actually lifted up off the counter and moved around then that would be a problem and again I highly doubt blendtec would be selling these if that was the case. I imagine like any company they do significant product testing and they wouldn't sell these for 4+ years if there was a danger issue. That's all I am saying.
Ditto and I just bought one. For science I will load it up with ice cubes ;)
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2005
1768 posts
782 upvotes
Montreal
adamtheman wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 6:06 pm
I think this is what the other posters were talking about:
Wait until ten seconds in...
Best Deals: Star Alliance Silver without even flying= FREE
Fido CAN/USA Unlimited, CID/VM/SMS 2gb $33/month
3 Logitech X-230 Speakers (150% PM at Staples) = $13 each (I bought 3!)[/B]
May 28, 2017
41 posts
42 upvotes
Vancouver
Just received my blendtec and because i was delayed in opening the door, the UPS guy left the package on my doorstep in full view of others and was walking away.
It was not in a generic box, but retail. See photo. It may be a good idea to be be home on the day of the delivery.
Images
  • IMG_20180214_150343.jpg
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2011
1753 posts
441 upvotes
Hello,

I got the blender, but the lids and spatula came dusty. The box was taped and did not looked like it was tampered with.
Anyone else got dusty lids?
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2009
2273 posts
1146 upvotes
GTA
deal_king wrote: I think this is what the other posters were talking about:
Wait until ten seconds in...
Useless video.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2009
14008 posts
5538 upvotes
Tommy74 wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 6:23 pm
Useless video.
Not really actually. Mine just did the exact same thing.
Deal Addict
Jan 24, 2007
2342 posts
258 upvotes
North York
What are you guys doing about the noise factor? Is it loud or not really? Or do you have to wear noise cancelling ear phones?
Apr 2, 2015
175 posts
129 upvotes
Siberia
Just made a smoothie with a crazy amount of frozen fruit and it shook a little at the start but never actually moved from the position it was placed. Im quite happy with it so far and the missus is too.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2009
14008 posts
5538 upvotes
sheriffabc wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 6:32 pm
What are you guys doing about the noise factor? Is it loud or not really? Or do you have to wear noise cancelling ear phones?
It's not loud at all as far as I'm concerned.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2009
14008 posts
5538 upvotes
Jone19 wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 6:32 pm
Just made a smoothie with a crazy amount of frozen fruit and it shook a little at the start but never actually moved from the position it was placed. Im quite happy with it so far and the missus is too.
Did you add any ice?
Jul 3, 2008
681 posts
111 upvotes
Mine came in a generic box and from costco's wharehouse