• Last Updated:
  • Apr 5th, 2018 12:57 pm
Aug 27, 2017
86 posts
132 upvotes
zdpz wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 10:28 pm
Someone help weigh in

Buy this Costco Blendtec or the Vitamix Refurb deal going on?

Ignore the fact one is a refurb and the other is new, pretending they are both new, what are the pros and cons of either?
adamtheman wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 10:47 pm
There's literally thousands of pages online arguing about which is better, and thousands of youtube videos too. Both are good blenders. No one could tell you which one to buy. It would be like asking what should I buy, a Ferrari or a Lamborghini. These are the two best blenders in the world.

That being said, I would consider a few things:

1) The vitamix is higher priced
2) The vitamix doesn't come with a smaller "twister" jar
3) The vitamix only comes with a 5 year warranty
4) The blendtec has the Costco advantage... e.g... no issues ever returning it for a full refund.

All that being said, Vitamix has a bigger brand name than Blendtec. If you want to impress your friends, telling them you have a "Vitamix" will probably do it more so than a "Blendtec".
paul29m wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 11:31 pm
Damn. I just bought a vita mix from costco for 629. Not yet delivered. Does this compare?
For 300$ there's no doubt you should go for the blendtec. Return your vitamix when you get it, or refuse the delivery.

If you went for the Vitamix because it's more powerful, just know that I have a blendtec 625 and I find it powerful enough even at half of the full speed. I never go past half.. this thing is a beast.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2004
4766 posts
2796 upvotes
Vancouver
dookiepants wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 11:46 pm
Another reason why i pulled the plug on this!

Those blendtec youtube videos are probably one of the best marketing ideas ever. Whoever thought of that marketing campaign is genius.
Jul 20, 2005
156 posts
24 upvotes
Burnaby
def47 wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 12:45 pm
I would say that's some pretty good costumer service right there!
If that's what you got out of my post, enjoy your $300 blender!
Jul 20, 2005
156 posts
24 upvotes
Burnaby
SizzleChest wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 7:29 pm
Google "Vitamix black specks" and see a similar known issue complaint. Apparently though, it too has been solved.
That's good to know! Just watched the video, not nearly as dramatic as my experience (which was super similar to
but waaaaaay worse). However, the Vitamix one is probably terrible for you over time since you probably wouldn't notice the small pieces of plastic you're ingesting. Really makes me rethink this whole health food angle of these blenders.
Jul 4, 2005
165 posts
15 upvotes
Blendtec has awesome warranty service. Reported problem with my jars they shipped replacement for free within 2 days.
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2008
1834 posts
963 upvotes
Milton
I'm sold on blendtec customer service and warranty being better than Vitamix which is also good.

But what is still hard to discern is which one will make a better juice? Which one is easier to clean? Which one has the better overall user experience?

I'm being told the Tamper is an amazing god send for blenders and yet the Blendtec video is saying for the Wildjar you don't even need a tamper. But Blendtec posters on this thread have said they wish they had the tamper.

How to decide, gahhhh!?
-ZdpZ... ;)
Aug 5, 2015
955 posts
449 upvotes
Montreal, QC
zdpz wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 9:25 am
I'm being told the Tamper is an amazing god send for blenders and yet the Blendtec video is saying for the Wildjar you don't even need a tamper. But Blendtec posters on this thread have said they wish they had the tamper.
Well, you could get lucky and never need one because what you make with your blender doesn't require one. In my case, since all I do are smoothies with frozen fruits, I definitely need a tamper whatever blender I use. The tamper with the Vitamix is made to be of the exact size you need without touching the blades, and it comes with the blender (as in, you don't need to buy something extra from a third party). So depending on your use, you might get away with never needing a tamper, but in my case it's a requirement and after comparing both, the Vitamix was the only way to go for me.
Happy Koodo customer :-)
Dec 19, 2006
254 posts
34 upvotes
zdpz wrote:
I'm sold on blendtec customer service and warranty being better than Vitamix which is also good.

But what is still hard to discern is which one will make a better juice? Which one is easier to clean? Which one has the better overall user experience?

How to decide, gahhhh!?
Family has blendtec and they wish it had the tamper. If you go with this I'd just buy the extra lid with tamper that someone linked earlier.
Jun 3, 2013
53 posts
23 upvotes
Toronto
Thank you so much for sharing this deal. Just ordered 1. Total $338.

I did not see anything mentioned about 8 year warranty though.
Mar 20, 2013
468 posts
330 upvotes
Winnipeg
zdpz wrote:

How to decide, gahhhh!?
I'm still waffling because I've never spent more than $60 on a blender, and you could go through a lot of $60 blenders for $300. (well, five of them anyway)

But, going through these posts and Googling around a bit, I believe that the Blendtec beats the Vitamix for how easy it is to clean and for the warranty.

It also seems like the Blendtec heats up faster and hotter. (it also spins faster, has more horse power and runs on more watts and draws more amps)

As for the tamper, Blendtec doesn't sell one, so they are going to say that they aren't needed. But lots of people say that they are, and you can buy third party ones.

IF you are in the market for a high end blender, then this seems like a no brainer. Anything comparable looks like they start at $550 and up (with a smaller canister).
Feb 26, 2011
386 posts
330 upvotes
Calgary
Vasilyke wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 7:51 pm
I got a message Im receiving the package tomorrow.
+1
Ordered late Monday. Out for delivery this morning by UPS
Jul 24, 2011
9 posts
2 upvotes
WINNIPEG
dookiepants wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 11:32 pm
was waiting for the Vitamix roadshow at Costco. this will do for now... buy now thing later!!! Anyone know which model this is or is it Costco exclusive?
I was debating about a reconditioned unit or waiting for the roadshow at Costco. I emailed Vitamix to see which model they would have at the roadshow and they said: We have heard back from our show team and in March we will be offering the Venturist 1200 in Black, Red, or Slate at the demonstrations. Although it is not listed on the Vitamix.ca site yet, you can find out more about this unit through the US site here: https://www.vitamix.com/us/en_us/shop/v ... st&sc=site

I ended up buying reconditioned.

This blendtec deals looks great. I don't think anyone can go wrong with either this deal or the reconditioned vitamix. Consumer Reports gives them both great ratings.
Mar 31, 2008
440 posts
183 upvotes
Airdrie
I bought the Blendtec Classic 575 for $360 a couple years ago. I am at 800 cycles now and still going strong.

My first blender jar had some very minor leaking in the blade seal plastic around 700 cycles. Blendtec was really easy to deal with and sent me a new and improved jar at no cost.

I still have the Wildside jar I haven't even used yet.
Dec 25, 2013
136 posts
14 upvotes
Calgary
I don't understand how the blendtec is easier to clean? Put soapy water in the both and blend?
Jul 19, 2010
335 posts
63 upvotes
Calgary
The only reason why Blendtec doesn't have a tamper is because Vitamix has a patent, and they sued Blendtec years ago and won. The tamper is the shizz-nit.. This is coming from a guy who owns multiple blentecs / Vitamix's. Wont' lie i bought another one, hard to pass up the $300 Costco deal.