• Last Updated:
  • Apr 5th, 2018 12:57 pm
Aug 5, 2015
851 posts
338 upvotes
Montreal, QC
drtmrcht wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 11:27 am
The only reason why Blendtec doesn't have a tamper is because Vitamix has a patent, and they sued Blendtec years ago and won. The tamper is the shizz-nit.. This is coming from a guy who owns multiple blentecs / Vitamix's. Wont' lie i bought another one, hard to pass up the $300 Costco deal.
Haha what's the usefulness of having multiple blenders? We're on RFD so I respect your devotion to the product, we also don't need good reasons to buy, but I'm just very curious :-)

Patents sometimes are silly. A patent on a stick that goes down the container? Come on!
Happy Koodo customer :-)
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2007
3933 posts
816 upvotes
Surprised this hasn't sold out, yet.

As for the tamper debate, I actually never use mine with my Vitamix as the machine tends to create enough of a vortex to pull everything down with relative ease. Mind you, I'm mostly making smoothies and tossing in whole ingredients like carrots, beets, and apples, but maybe it's more useful if you're blending something that turns much thicker like a peanut butter or a sorbet sort of deal? In terms of cleaning, I can see how the wider bottom of the Blendtec would be easier to clean than the more often narrow body Vitamix jars, but once again it's probably more useful for thicker concoctions where you actually need to get your hand or spatula down there. For most of what I blend, I can just rinse with water though.

For the most part, I don't think you can really go wrong with either brand.
:arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd:
Apr 2, 2006
587 posts
43 upvotes
We have a Vitamix from Costco. I don't really like it because things always get stuck when making smoothies and have to use the tamper to stir ingredients in the jar. My wife has broken 2 tampers already because she used it not through the lid.

Reading through the thread it sounds like getting the Blendec doesn't mean making smoothies without the use of a tamper?
Aug 5, 2015
851 posts
338 upvotes
Montreal, QC
crustydragon wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 12:24 pm
We have a Vitamix from Costco. I don't really like it because things always get stuck when making smoothies and have to use the tamper to stir ingredients in the jar. My wife has broken 2 tampers already because she used it not through the lid.

Reading through the thread it sounds like getting the Blendec doesn't mean making smoothies without the use of a tamper?
I'd say buy one and try it. As for using tampers without the lid, well, it's a bit like using a car without the breaks. I guess it's your choice, but don't be surprised at the result.
Dec 19, 2006
252 posts
31 upvotes
crustydragon wrote:
My wife has broken 2 tampers already because she used it not through the lid.
Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2005
3936 posts
224 upvotes
crustydragon wrote:

I make smoothies very frequently with my Blendtec and have never had a need for a tamper.

The only real way I think you could need one when making smoothies is if you really jammed in the ingredients so that they're stuck and could not fall into the blade. I did that once when overloading it. It was able to eventually fall into the blade on its own over time but I had to run the smoothie cycle twice since it only fell down towards the end of the cycle.

Both brands are good generally speaking and have their advantages/disadvantages. For $300 for a new one with the twister jar, it's unbeatable value.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2004
7866 posts
1195 upvotes
Montreal, QC
A good blender shouldn't need a temper, if I paid so much for a Vitamix, I expect it to blend the shit out of whatever you put in there, not having the need to mess with it.

Also, I do not understand who would make soup in a blender, it's so godd*** loud I wouldn't want to run it any longer than necessery.
Not going to wear ear muffs while waiting for a soup to heats up due to friction lol, I want to keep my hearing thank you.
Aug 5, 2015
851 posts
338 upvotes
Montreal, QC
RastaManMax wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 12:50 pm
I make smoothies very frequently with my Blendtec and have never had a need for a tamper.
Do you make smoothies with frozen fruits like whole strawberries?
Apr 2, 2006
587 posts
43 upvotes
Thanks for the feedback!

Yeah, I appreciate my wife making smoothies for us. Why she would use the tamper without the lid, I am not sure. Not even going to ask :)

Will probably try the Blentec OP posted. Worst case scenario it gets returned.
Aug 5, 2015
851 posts
338 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Daijoubu wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 12:53 pm
A good blender shouldn't need a temper, if I paid so much for a Vitamix, I expect it to blend the shit out of whatever you put in there, not having the need to mess with it.
It's not about the blender's efficiency, it's about air pockets with dense ingredients.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2008
1417 posts
1122 upvotes
Langley, BC
AlexanderDKB wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 12:58 pm
Do I need to be a member?
No, the rest of us pay for membership for absolutely no reason.

Yes... you need a membership.
Oct 31, 2010
77 posts
25 upvotes
anyone know what the twister jar does or can share some experiences with it?
Aug 27, 2017
86 posts
132 upvotes
steven80 wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 1:10 pm
No, the rest of us pay for membership for absolutely no reason.

Yes... you need a membership.
No, you don't need a membership.

"The rest of us" pay for membership to shop in store. The online store is for everyone.
Aug 5, 2015
851 posts
338 upvotes
Montreal, QC
cheapmtl wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 1:25 pm
No, you don't need a membership.

"The rest of us" pay for membership to shop in store. The online store is for everyone.
Well, certainly not for everything. You can't for example get an extended warranty (even online) without a membership.