Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Costco

Hot? Sharp 4k 75 LC75N8000U $1999.97

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 13th, 2017 10:18 pm
Tags:
Deal Expert
Mar 14, 2009
16764 posts
8093 upvotes
konsensei wrote: Yes, because that much more expensive LG TV isn't True HDR either
It has a 300nits at peak brightness, which is even lower than this.
http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/uh8500?uxtv=a5bc
You are finagling over specs when this is the second cheapest 75" 4k television sold in Canada. Ever. The only TV cheaper is the 75" Haier at Costco and it costs $1800 with absolutely *no* HDR support whatsoever. The LG set your are referring to was recently cleared out at Walmart for $3500.

Would you care to point us toward something you think is better? You're not going to find anything without spending over $4000CAD.
Deal Expert
Mar 14, 2009
16764 posts
8093 upvotes
konsensei wrote: With the latest firmwares whatsoever, sure software-wise it can DECODE full HDR, super HDR, super duper HDR or whatever you want to call it. But its panel is not capable of display the full HDR experience
According to this:
http://www.pcmag.com/review/349134/sharp-lc-75n8000u

For 368 nits? NO it is not "True HDR". TV needs 1000nit at peak brightness to be certified as HDR by UHD Alliance

If you look at Samsung KS8000 series and above, they are true, certified HDR, with peak brightness of 1000 nits.
Those Samsung TVs also have some really brutal backlight uniformity issues that would drive me absolutely nuts while watching hockey. They also cost $2000 for a 65" model. This TV is 10" bigger for the same price. Brightness isn't everything. It is only one part of the HDR spec.
Deal Expert
Mar 14, 2009
16764 posts
8093 upvotes
LIKEWTF wrote: Is this deal still on at any GTA costcos?
This TV is long gone at Costco and I would be shocked to see Visions with any left. One guy was saying he was able to PM at the Brick. That may be your only hope. But I don't think they will do it; Visions has now raised the price. I would venture to say that this deal is effectively dead, unfortunately.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
6913 posts
5816 upvotes
Burlington
SickBeast wrote: You are finagling over specs when this is the second cheapest 75" 4k television sold in Canada. Ever. The only TV cheaper is the 75" Haier at Costco and it costs $1800 with absolutely *no* HDR support whatsoever. The LG set your are referring to was recently cleared out at Walmart for $3500.

Would you care to point us toward something you think is better? You're not going to find anything without spending over $4000CAD.
Would you care to point me toward where I said this wasn't a good deal?
I simply put in an explanation of what "true HDR" is to another person.
Deal Expert
Mar 14, 2009
16764 posts
8093 upvotes
konsensei wrote: Would you care to point me toward where I said this wasn't a good deal?
I simply put in an explanation of what "true HDR" is to another person.
Fair enough. It's just that you started off by implying that this TV does not support HDR, which it does. Like I said, peak brightness is only one part of the spec.

Also according to this review, the Sharp actually hits 500 nits.

http://gearopen.com/audio-video/sharp-a ... iew-47147/
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
6913 posts
5816 upvotes
Burlington
SickBeast wrote: Fair enough. It's just that you started off by implying that this TV does not support HDR, which it does. Like I said, peak brightness is only one part of the spec.

Also according to this review, the Sharp actually hits 500 nits.

http://gearopen.com/audio-video/sharp-a ... iew-47147/
Most TVs will "support HDR" in the form of DECODING HDR signals.
Will the TVs DISPLAY HDR signals to its fullest potential? This TV doesn't
Deal Expert
Mar 14, 2009
16764 posts
8093 upvotes
konsensei wrote: Most TVs will "support HDR" in the form of DECODING HDR signals.
Perhaps not to its fullest potential, but it is most of the way there.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2010
2293 posts
1413 upvotes
Kamloops, BC
konsensei wrote: Most TVs will "support HDR" in the form of DECODING HDR signals.
Fullest potential would be 4000 nits(10k in future) according to Dolby Vision specs.

..Just saying.
Feb 7, 2017
37 posts
30 upvotes
I did factory reset and changed zone to USA. Still no firmware update. It shows older version. Any other way to get latest firmware ?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
6913 posts
5816 upvotes
Burlington
SickBeast wrote: Perhaps not to its fullest potential, but it is most of the way there.
Ya. for the most parts! As long as one satisfies your eyes (and pockets), just be happy with it. That's what I'd say to every TV buyer.
ssjlancer wrote: Fullest potential would be 4000 nits(10k in future) according to Dolby Vision specs.

..Just saying.
We haven't really had any TV gone that far (not consumer grade, I don't think). And I don't think there's actually any source (bluray, stream, etc) that sending 4000 nits.
4000 nits is in the future.
Dec 3, 2009
138 posts
145 upvotes
RF2017 wrote: I did factory reset and changed zone to USA. Still no firmware update. It shows older version. Any other way to get latest firmware ?
Same situation here.

Is someone was successful?
Deal Expert
Mar 14, 2009
16764 posts
8093 upvotes
RF2017 wrote: I did factory reset and changed zone to USA. Still no firmware update. It shows older version. Any other way to get latest firmware ?
blade7777 wrote: Same situation here.

I would contact sharp technical support to see if they can help you. Also maybe try to re-run the initial setup wizard. Good luck!
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2003
1016 posts
458 upvotes

Same with me. Have always set mine to US. Can't get the update either.

Couple more questions:

1. Did you guys buy the extended warranty from Costco for $100?
2. When you guys shut off the TV does it make a noise? Like a lamp shutting off. A loud click. I have a 70" Sharp LCD also and it was never that loud.
Dec 27, 2007
22706 posts
15194 upvotes
Kitchener
Then its not HDR, people need to stop giving manufacturers a break when it comes to misadvertising/specing their products, this will only make things harder (and much pricier) for those trying to deliver the real deal and not just print the most colorful stickers.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
6913 posts
5816 upvotes
Burlington
aasoror wrote: Then its not HDR, people need to stop giving manufacturers a break when it comes to misadvertising/specing their products, this will only make things harder (and much pricier) for those trying to deliver the real deal and not just print the most colorful stickers.
That's what I tried to explain. Not the first time to put in an explanation for non-HDR TV advertised with HDR either.

However at the end of the day, if one is satisfied with his/her TV, that's all it matters
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
21223 posts
6990 upvotes
GTA
When I think of HDR, its basically a threshold for the panel quality. Any TV can decode HDR signals via firmware/software update (except Dolby Vision HDR which requires hardware built into the TV), but displaying HDR content is a whole new aspect. Most HDR capable TVs (higher end TVs from LG, Sharp/Hisense, Samsung, Sony, Vizio, etc.) have some capability of displaying HDR content in its full glory (contrast, colour gamut, brightness) in different ways (FALD, OLED, etc.), but no panel is perfect. A KS8000 panel may have up to 80% HDR requirements but suffer from edgelit lighting, a Vizio P-series may have up to 75% requirements but suffer from low brightness.

Whether or not the +/- 20% from the 100% HDR requirements are up to the end users eyes.

Why can't we all be happy, its because of all the loaded abbreviation and half-truths. And then we can start talking about HDR content and thats a whole new wall of text.
Deal Expert
Mar 14, 2009
16764 posts
8093 upvotes
Well the way I looked at it with this Sharp television is that any HDR capabilities it has are just "gravy". It's essentially the same price as the 75" Haier, which is the cheapest 75" TV sold in Canada. I was quite pleasantly surprised by the HDR output on this TV, personally. It looks really good to me. I watched some of the demos out YouTube. The colours really "pop".

It seems as though HDR is still a work in progress. Even the LG OLED TVs only have ~500 nits of peak brightness, which is around the same as this Sharp TV.
Dec 10, 2006
999 posts
492 upvotes
Mississauga

Same here. Factory reset to USA and still no firmware
Deal Expert
Mar 14, 2009
16764 posts
8093 upvotes
|Naruto| wrote: Same here. Factory reset to USA and still no firmware
So why have none of you guys called Sharp?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)