[Costco] HOT: Sony OLED XBR65A8F $3300 everywhere

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 20th, 2019 8:22 pm
[OP]
Jun 2, 2005
86 posts
30 upvotes

[Costco] HOT: Sony OLED XBR65A8F $3300 everywhere

Amazing product, excelent price for an 65" OLED (most retailers). Sony does the best upscaling.
Some may find Android TV 7 slow but upgrade to 8 is coming soon. I love the flexibility of Android OS.

You can install Rogers, Bell, etc. app and you no longer need to rent 5 boxes for each room.
56 replies
Aug 24, 2018
211 posts
184 upvotes
Langley BC
How would this TV compare to the LG oled sold at costco? Thanks.
Koodo $35 5 Gig deal (x2)
Nov 29, 2011
601 posts
614 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL
source on upscaling fact?

i recently tested a 1080p bluray on a friends' 46" Sony 4k TV and it was surprisingly noisy af.
Mar 2, 2006
268 posts
23 upvotes
LG is the only manufacturer for OLED. So they do supply Sony the same panel.

The difference between Sony and LG is the software and processing.

It’s really subjective as to which one should choose. Sony software tends to release firmware updates pretty slow in general though.
Oct 16, 2011
188 posts
86 upvotes
Can confirm that Sony's X1 Extreme and X1 Ultimate are the best upscalers in the business.

But their Android platform leaves a lot to be desired. If/when they get the upgrade to 8, it will likely be better, but as of right now LG's webOS is the gold standard.

Sony and LG are pretty much neck in neck when it comes to OLED, most of Sony's panels are made by LG.
Mar 17, 2018
481 posts
626 upvotes
weceu, can I borrow your credit card? I'll let you keep the air miles.?. Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Yes, I'd like to price match RedFlagDeals please - Ken Adams
Deal Expert
Oct 19, 2003
19001 posts
5899 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …
Difference isn't worth 2X a high quality local dimming LCD in my opinion. After a while you don't even notice even when watching a low end TV except for response time if it's awful and used for gaming.

It's like watching Black and White, you stop even noticing the lack of colour all together after a while. To each their own of course.
Nov 20, 2012
112 posts
24 upvotes
CALGARY
SillyRabbit wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 2:42 pm
Can confirm that Sony's X1 Extreme and X1 Ultimate are the best upscalers in the business.

But their Android platform leaves a lot to be desired. If/when they get the upgrade to 8, it will likely be better, but as of right now LG's webOS is the gold standard.

Sony and LG are pretty much neck in neck when it comes to OLED, most of Sony's panels are made by LG.
I prefer the Sony Android take on things. The web os when I had the c8 seemed cluttered and was not as seamless. That's just my opinion though. Plus I can easily install what I want in the Sony since it's Android and not the LG variant with web os
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
3805 posts
1865 upvotes
Westmount (Montreal)
SillyRabbit wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 2:42 pm

I was going to tell you you were wrong, but remembered the Sony reference monitors are made by Sony.
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2008
1740 posts
510 upvotes
KenAdams wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 2:54 pm
weceu, can I borrow your credit card? I'll let you keep the air miles.?. Smiling Face With Open Mouth
You can borrow mine if you like.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
3152 posts
1863 upvotes
Vancouver
Beside salesman sales tactic, i really havent seen any proof to back the claim that sony actually has better upscale than others. Not that its a lie that its best in the business but misleading if they are tied for best with virtually everyone else.
Nov 10, 2003
727 posts
118 upvotes
Concord
Sony processing chips are definitely top notch.. in particular is motion rendering.

BUT, for most people and 99.99% of the scene.. it will be indifferent.
Jul 19, 2015
507 posts
443 upvotes
London, ON
gotglint wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 1:16 pm
source on upscaling fact?

i recently tested a 1080p bluray on a friends' 46" Sony 4k TV and it was surprisingly noisy af.
Just like most other brands it really depends on the model, not all sony tv's are equal
[OP]
Jun 2, 2005
86 posts
30 upvotes
- weceu, can I borrow your credit card? I'll let you keep the air miles.?.

- You can borrow mine if you like.

I'll give him mine. The only option he has is to pay it off.