Hot Deals

[Costco] HP laser Printer M15W $39.96 (YMMV)

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 15th, 2019 3:51 pm
Mar 1, 2011
224 posts
415 upvotes
Calgary
Calgary - Lots left at the Deerfoot Meadows Costco.

Tempting but I'll pass as I have a reliable HP AOI and do limited printing nowadays.

IMG_20191010_114209.jpg
Feb 4, 2011
162 posts
28 upvotes
JackWhyte wrote:
Oct 9th, 2019 4:33 pm
Gee, I wonder. :facepalm:

Maybe if you read what I wrote or clicked on any of the helpful links I posted, you'd know that it's a STEALTH UPDATE that takes place behind the scenes and without your permission or intervention - if you have the wireless on, it auto-updates and locks you out and you can't revert back either. Seriously, think about it - if it was that easy just to disable updates or cancel them, no one would have a problem.
Well, one of your links states that auto updates can be disabled in settings. And I connect my printer to the PC via USB so my Use case is different.
Sep 19, 2009
220 posts
91 upvotes
dealz4all wrote:
Oct 10th, 2019 5:09 pm
Well, one of your links states that auto updates can be disabled in settings. And I connect my printer to the PC via USB so my Use case is different.
For the technically inclined, it's also possible to block the printer from accessing the internet while still residing on your LAN network, especially with DD-WRT or other router CFWs.
Dec 2, 2004
519 posts
304 upvotes
Arkv wrote:
Oct 10th, 2019 10:01 pm
For the technically inclined, it's also possible to block the printer from accessing the internet while still residing on your LAN network, especially with DD-WRT or other router CFWs.
Your logic is like banging a hot chick with AIDS/STI, while using a condom for protection...

Not worth the hassle, easier to just avoid and buy BROTHER LASER ... what if there is an open WIFI nearby, possibly introduced by a neighbor? Alot of things can go wrong ...
Sep 19, 2009
220 posts
91 upvotes
frugal69 wrote:
Oct 11th, 2019 12:17 am
Your logic is like banging a hot chick with AIDS/STI, while using a condom for protection...

Not worth the hassle, easier to just avoid and buy BROTHER LASER ... what if there is an open WIFI nearby, possibly introduced by a neighbor? Alot of things can go wrong ...
I mean I wouldn't call HP hot, serviceable maybe ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
May 10, 2008
227 posts
163 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
frugal69 wrote:
Oct 11th, 2019 12:17 am

I think a huge determining factor is still how much one paid for the hot chick, which brings me to this question:

Is it still worth it at this price for just the toner that comes with the machine?

I'm still using the original toner of a Samsung laser printer that London Drugs cleared out many years ago at $39.99. I only use it to print stuff like twice a month. I bought it with the intention of chucking it after the toner runs out. I will eventually need a replacement printer for the occasional print jobs.
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
14019 posts
4188 upvotes
Montreal
jackrabbit000 wrote:
Oct 10th, 2019 9:15 am
Canon is no better. I have one and you cannot use a 3rd party ink cartridge in it no matter what you do or try.
Well that sucks, as the Canons we have (color lasers) take 3rd-party ink... at least for now.

The US courts made it illegal to pull this kind of scam, but I guess the printer companies have figured out they make more money compared to the fines and court penalties.
Official Response from Dollarama Management:

Dollarama has a no exchange/no refund policy, and as a result, all sales are final. This information can be found on the screen of each check-out/point-of-sale in our stores as well as on each receipt.
May 2, 2008
320 posts
459 upvotes
Toronto, Canada
yesstyle wrote:
Oct 9th, 2019 5:56 pm
mind telling us the model # of ur Brother printer?
+1 for Brother MFCs
I am using a MFC-7860DW that I picked up for free during an e-recycling event in my office building. It does everything I need, print (duplex), scan, copy, fax. Been using cheap cartridges from https://www.123ink.ca (Promecables's sister website) and they work very well.
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
3880 posts
3061 upvotes
Toronto
JackWhyte wrote:
Oct 9th, 2019 2:16 pm
I physically smashed all our HP laser printers...
Oct 11, 2015
226 posts
63 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
No luck finding this in Winnipeg went to all 3 stores
Aug 25, 2018
45 posts
16 upvotes
Recently Brother also updated the firmware and since then i can't use generic. The best way to avoid any stealth update is not to install any software from the manufacturer and use generic drivers