Shopping Discussion

Costco Instore Shopping vs SuperStore PC Insiders Pickup, Which Is Better?

  • Last Updated:
  • Jul 25th, 2019 5:18 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2015
2423 posts
1872 upvotes
Cochrane, AB

Costco Instore Shopping vs SuperStore PC Insiders Pickup, Which Is Better?

So I have both a Costco membership and SuperStore PC Insiders subscription just now with the 50% deal and want to compare the two and whether I should cancel Costco.

With Costco, I've always hated going to their stores to shop because Costco is a royal pain to shop in with everything scattered, big long lines, crowded parking, and enormous lines just to fill up gas there, not to mention the enormous return lines. I've also always hated how Costco member's littered their shopping cart all over the parking lots. It's not hard to be courteous, people!

I also have no ability to search what is in store at Costco like I can now do at every SuperStore, Loblaws, No Frills etc. This makes shopping enormously painful at Costco from wasting time.

With the SuperStore PC Insiders membership, I now have free unlimited pickup orders where SuperStore employees shop for the items I can search for on their app and take my time comparing to see if prices and point offers are good. I don't have to waste enormous amounts of time going on the store, I just drive to the parking stop at my chosen time slot and they bring it out. Whereas Costco would take an hour at least, I would only be at Superstore a few minutes.

Costco isn't even the lowest prices on a lot of products if you buy on sale and especially if you have PC Points offers. So is there really any point to keeping a Costco membership other than big ticket items like a TV? But even then, I could just buy Costco TVs using their website without paying for a membership. It just seems pointless to be a Costco member when SuperStore has greatly improved what it is like to shop for groceries.
23 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
9701 posts
6980 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Costco isn't even the lowest prices on a lot of products if you buy on sale and especially if you have PC Points offers. So is there really any point to keeping a Costco membership other than big ticket items like a TV? But even then, I could just buy Costco TVs using their website without paying for a membership. It just seems pointless to be a Costco member when SuperStore has greatly improved what it is like to shop for groceries.
True enough.

Costco is not for everyone.
Nor can it be all things to all people

For years we didn’t even have a Costco Membership, because there were no stores close of us to visit on a regular basis. At that time, we did shop from the Costco website occasionally.

Now we have a Costco membership, and try to get into the closest store once every 4 to 6 weeks to do a stock up ... our main buys at Costco are bulk packaged meats, some dry groceries, and cleaning supplies. Some of these items are considerably cheaper, while others are about the same price, but just way more convenient vs going to a regular grocery store (meats).

We also try to get in on that 4 to 6 week timeframe, cause one of the greatest things about Costco is not the Groceries IMO, or even the electronics... it’s their other goods... like Printer Ink, Batteries, Discounted Gift Cards, etc.

And Seasonal items. That stuff turns around about once a month as the year rolls along. I would say that it is on these items, where we get the greatest bang for our buck... be it gardening supplies in the Spring, or home maintenance items in the Fall, or Christmas stuff, or Clothing year round. Those goods are often what attract us the most because it’s often stuff you don’t see at other stores (HUGE factor) or just extremely well priced.

Then there are the other Costco Depts... Costco Travel, Costco Optical, Costco Tires, Costco Gas, Costco Propane etc

It’s in these categories where we feel we make the best use of our Annual Membership ... Making back the $ 60 value often in just one trip, or even on one item.

We belong to a lot of Loyalty Programs... and PCO is great. But PC Insiders is not going to be able to compete necessarily in as wide a grouping of items as you can get at Costco.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2015
2423 posts
1872 upvotes
Cochrane, AB
PointsHubby wrote:
Jan 26th, 2019 5:09 pm
...cause one of the greatest things about Costco is not the Groceries IMO, or even the electronics... it’s their other goods... like Printer Ink, Batteries, Discounted Gift Cards, etc.

And Seasonal items. That stuff turns around about once a month as the year rolls along. I would say that it is on these items, where we get the greatest bang for our buck... be it gardening supplies in the Spring, or home maintenance items in the Fall, or Christmas stuff, or Clothing year round. Those goods are often what attract us the most because it’s often stuff you don’t see at other stores (HUGE factor) or just extremely well priced.

Then there are the other Costco Depts... Costco Travel, Costco Optical, Costco Tires, Costco Gas, Costco Propane etc
I don't agree with you for a lot of that stuff. Costco is so over priced for them.

For printer ink, Costco is tremendously over priced. Online sites like 123Ink sell for so much cheaper.

For batteries, Costco only has over priced batteries and dumb chargers. Amazon has way better prices on akalines, NiMH, and Lithium. And the chargers sold on Amazon are leaps and bounds better than what Costco sells. Just compare what you get from Amazon vs Costco. Costco is no where competitive and only uneducated shoppers buy the akaleaks from Costco.

I've never bought a gift card at Costco because they don't carry anything I would use. And other places also have discounts on gift cards.

For seasonal items, every store does the same thing like Home Depot after Christmas and you can actually search for items on clearance unlike wasting your time at Costco.

Costco Optical is also tremoundously over priced for prescription eyeglasses if you have ever shopped online like at EyeBuyDirect. It's a fraction of the cost that Costco charges.

For Costco Tires, they didn't even carry winter tires for the size of wheel on my SUV and I checked their website multiple times.

For Costco Gas, that is just a compete waste of time in line. It is a joke for a few cents at best.

One of the few department that Costco is useful for would be their pharmacy since their prices are usually the lowest and it is extremely difficult to search for medicine prices online anywhere.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
9701 posts
6980 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
JoeStale wrote:
Jan 26th, 2019 5:23 pm
I don't agree with you for a lot of that stuff. Costco is so over priced for them.

For printer ink, Costco is tremendously over priced. Online sites like 123Ink sell for so much cheaper.

For batteries, Costco only has over priced batteries and dumb chargers. Amazon has way better prices on akalines, NiMH, and Lithium. And the chargers sold on Amazon are leaps and bounds better than what Costco sells. Just compare what you get from Amazon vs Costco. Costco is no where competitive and only uneducated shoppers buy the akaleaks from Costco.

I've never bought a gift card at Costco because they don't carry anything I would use. And other places also have discounts on gift cards.

For seasonal items, every store does the same thing like Home Depot after Christmas and you can actually search for items on clearance unlike wasting your time at Costco.

Costco Optical is also tremoundously over priced for prescription eyeglasses if you have ever shopped online like at EyeBuyDirect. It's a fraction of the cost that Costco charges.

For Costco Tires, they didn't even carry winter tires for the size of wheel on my SUV and I checked their website multiple times.

For Costco Gas, that is just a compete waste of time in line. It is a joke for a few cents at best.

One of the few department that Costco is useful for would be their pharmacy since their prices are usually the lowest and it is extremely difficult to search for medicine prices online anywhere.
Look, I just gave you my POV...

Sounds like your mind is already made up.
So why even post ?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2015
2423 posts
1872 upvotes
Cochrane, AB
PointsHubby wrote:
Jan 26th, 2019 5:37 pm
Look, I just gave you my POV...

Sounds like your mind is already made up.
So why even post ?
Because I want to know if people just shop at Costco and pay for a membership out of habit and don't know any better about lower prices and faster shopping elsewhere or if I'm missing something that actually makes it worthwhile to pay $100+ for Costco every year. Is it just the herd following the herd?
Sr. Member
Mar 24, 2016
552 posts
486 upvotes
scarborough
My pov on Costco is to make sure you know your price and the store policies of other retailer. For $120 per a year i get the luxury of the best warranty and return policy in the industry. No questioned asked. If i dont get around returned it within 30 days there is no rush. Try that with Canadian tire, leons, etc.

When it comes to tires other retailers don't come close to their pricing. I have bout in the previous years 3 compete sets from them. You order them on line and get it sent to the store and the will call for an appointment. this also includes free tire rotation as long as those tires are on your vehicle. How much do car shops charge for a tire rotation probably $40 to 50 dollars.

They have very good prices on a lot of items such cleaning supplies, groceries (yogurt, cheese, milk, eggs,almonds ) electronics, underwear, socks, shaving cream, vitamins, diapers, drug store items (ASA, pain relievers, deodorant, feminine products,) protein powders,the list goes on and on.

gift cards. i buy them to give to friends or family.

Optical haven tried them yet but will look to it within the next couple of months. However my daughter and wife got a really good deal on RayBan and Serengeti sunglasses. I would say half the price of what sunglass hut or other glasses store sells.

As for ink. I have 2 brother laser printers which i buy toner for and again Costco is cheaper than best buy, staples, Walmart , 123 ink.

Costco is the cheapest for propane that i found. Usually $12 for 20 pound tank and $18 for 40 pounds
I agree the line up for gas is sometimes too long. But if you go early in the morning there is a short line up. I dont bother with Costco gas in the GTA. i use my pc master-card for that. However in Peterborough Costco i do fill up there when i go to the cottage.

Costco trave is just a joke with their pricing, Always more expensive

When i purchased my Ford vehicle that was a $1000 savings, I believe now their hooked up with GM

As for superstore i think most items are overpriced. How do you price match on line

At the end of the year I get a nice rebate check which i use to renew my membership. So it really doesn't cost me anything to be a member plus i saved through the year for being a Costco member.

Does your Pc membership give you back a rebate or is it just convenient just to sit in your car while people pick your food for you
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
23395 posts
9027 upvotes
JoeStale wrote:
Jan 26th, 2019 3:53 pm
With Costco, I've always hated going to their stores to shop because Costco is a royal pain to shop in with everything scattered,
Speaking specifically about in store, but how is Superstore not scattered?
Yes, there's the grocery picking service, but that's not available for anything but groceries.
crowded parking
At least you can open your door unlike every other parking lot ever. I can't imagine the amount of doors I've dinged or the number of times my door has been dinged because they decided to squeeze in 50 more spaces instead of giving us "comfort parking".
enormous lines just to fill up gas

No one is forcing you to use their gas.
Superstore is comparable in price, within about a cent or two assuming you count points as cash.

Although anecdotally I get less gas mileage when I fill at Superstore. I'm always hitting over 450 and sometimes upwards of 500km per tank at Costco. Superstore barely hits 430km.
Yes, different driving patterns, etc hence why I said anecdotally.
The fact is that fuel is comparable at both places with a cent or two.
not to mention the enormous return lines
How much are you realistically returning that this is an issue?
Out of the thousands of dollars I've spent there (and frankly anywhere) I've made maybe a half dozen returns total at every merchant.
If you're a serial renter, I can see this being an issue.
But for a normal person?
I've also always hated how Costco member's littered their shopping cart all over the parking lots. It's not hard to be courteous, people!

This isn't the fault of the store. Any place with free carts has this issue.
I also have no ability to search what is in store at Costco like I can now do at every SuperStore, Loblaws, No Frills etc. This makes shopping enormously painful at Costco from wasting time.
Unless it's not groceries.
Not to mention that their search just sucks. Superstore's entire website just sucks.
Wholesale club too.
I want to punch their developers.
With the SuperStore PC Insiders membership, I now have free unlimited pickup orders where SuperStore employees shop for the items I can search for on their app and take my time comparing to see if prices and point offers are good. I don't have to waste enormous amounts of time going on the store, I just drive to the parking stop at my chosen time slot and they bring it out. Whereas Costco would take an hour at least, I would only be at Superstore a few minutes.
Superstore had a promo in December? where you spent like $300 and got 30k points or something.
I spent 4 hours looking for stuff that I could actually fill my order with and failed.
Between stuff not actually being in stock, or the items that I wanted being far more expensive, I ended up with a bunch of stuff I didn't need or had no immediate use for.
Their website (and definitely their app) doesn't actually save any time because it's painful to use.
Shopping in store is also painful (both Superstore and Costco and any brick and mortar really).
Costco isn't even the lowest prices on a lot of products if you buy on sale and especially if you have PC Points offers.

It's not always about the lowest price. It's also about quality.
In some places, pricing is laughably low. In other places it's also laughably high, but it comes with quality.
So is there really any point to keeping a Costco membership other than big ticket items like a TV? But even then, I could just buy Costco TVs using their website without paying for a membership. It just seems pointless to be a Costco member when SuperStore has greatly improved what it is like to shop for groceries.
TVs aren't generally that much cheaper. I've seen better deals elsewhere. Superstore is one of them. But good luck getting said deal unless you're there at opening because they have one of them.
Costco online doesn't really count because there's a markup compared to in store to account for shipping. Plus things don't generally get clearanced the way they do in store.
JoeStale wrote:
Jan 26th, 2019 5:23 pm
For printer ink, Costco is tremendously over priced. Online sites like 123Ink sell for so much cheaper.
I picked a random printer off 123inks and found this cartridge:
HP 902XL
123inks wants $25.
Costco wants $20.
Granted... it's a refill so you'll need a cartridge to fill, but they're usually good for a few fills before needing to be tossed.
Refill at Costco 5 times and use the savings to buy a free refurb from 123 and do it again.
For batteries, Costco only has over priced batteries and dumb chargers. Amazon has way better prices on akalines, NiMH, and Lithium.

Kirkland AAs are cheaper ($13.50 online) than AmazonBasics AAs ($15.00)
I'll give you the chemistries mostly because they don't frequently carry them or don't carry them at all.
I will say that I haven't found a better price on a similar AGM. Everyone else was $10-20 more.
And the chargers sold on Amazon are leaps and bounds better than what Costco sells. Just compare what you get from Amazon vs Costco.
I wasn't aware that Eneloops were terrible. Not to mention that they don't even have them constantly.
But when they do, the charger is essentially free due to the cost of the batteries.
Just buy a better charger if you really want somewhere else.
Costco is no where competitive and only uneducated shoppers buy the akaleaks from Costco.
So you'd rather pay $1.50 more to shop at Amazon? Gotcha.
I'll be uneducated and save $1.50. More when they go on sale.
Oh and be further uneducated by not shoving $20 worth of batteries and tying up $1000 when I could just buy some "akaleaks" and call it a day.
I've never bought a gift card at Costco because they don't carry anything I would use. And other places also have discounts on gift cards.
Ah yes, I had forgotten that gift cards are a required purchase.
Oh and that they're also available via grocery pickup so you don't have to schlep into the store. Oh wait....
For seasonal items, every store does the same thing like Home Depot after Christmas and you can actually search for items on clearance unlike wasting your time at Costco.
Yes, searching would be nice. I can't argue that.
Costco Optical is also tremoundously over priced for prescription eyeglasses if you have ever shopped online like at EyeBuyDirect. It's a fraction of the cost that Costco charges.
Lasik is better than glasses.
For Costco Tires, they didn't even carry winter tires for the size of wheel on my SUV and I checked their website multiple times.
What size?
Not that I can talk, I bought mine at Kal Tire.
But I'd be extremely surprised if they didn't have them at all assuming you have a regular mass market SUV.
For Costco Gas, that is just a compete waste of time in line. It is a joke for a few cents at best.
As mentioned above, fill up elsewhere.
No one is forcing you to use their gas station.
JoeStale wrote:
Jan 26th, 2019 5:58 pm
Because I want to know if people just shop at Costco and pay for a membership out of habit and don't know any better about lower prices and faster shopping elsewhere or if I'm missing something that actually makes it worthwhile to pay $100+ for Costco every year. Is it just the herd following the herd?
My executive membership is easily paid for every single year by one or two products that have laughably low prices.
In essence I have zero membership fees from a single product. 3 years ago was carpet shampoo. 2 years ago it was hair shampoo. Last year it was nitrile gloves. This year just started so we'll see,
That doesn't even count my 2% back (which this year was $135) which also pays for my membership.

Yes the shopping process is horrible. But it's horrible in pretty much every brick and mortar store.

I debated picking up Insiders at 50% off, but I've determined it wasn't worth it.
Travel credit would be nice, but that means I'm forced to travel every year and specifically book via them so that's out. I didn't travel last year so it'd be a waste. I might travel this year though.
I don't buy anything organic unless it's similarly priced to non-organic (ie at Costco). Even then I complain because non-organic would probably be cheaper yet.
I don't have a kid. I don't buy clothing. I don't buy makeup. The ONLY perk that's useful for me is pickups.

It costs $3/pickup. That means I have to use it 17 times a year to make $1.
Last year I used it 4 times. The other times I actually had to go into the store because some items weren't available via grocery pickup.

Those 4 times I did use it were very convenient in the pickup stage. The ordering stage was however painful.
Even yesterday, I spent 15 minutes using the app and immediately uninstalled it after I finalized my order on the website (which in itself took an hour) because the app is a pile of flaming garbage.
So I didn't actually save any time because that hour and 15 could have easily been spent in store picking my own things. But I got $10 worth of points (minus the $5 pickup fee since it's a weekend) so I'm ahead $5.

But hey... feel free to cancel your Costco membership.
I'd rather less people be in the store because there's too many $expletive people already.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
23395 posts
9027 upvotes
explorer11 wrote:
Jan 26th, 2019 7:02 pm
When it comes to tires other retailers don't come close to their pricing. I have bout in the previous years 3 compete sets from them. You order them on line and get it sent to the store and the will call for an appointment. this also includes free tire rotation as long as those tires are on your vehicle. How much do car shops charge for a tire rotation probably $40 to 50 dollars.
I mean... if you really want to have a tire fight, buy in the US.
Free rotations are nice, but every tire location is so jam packed it's not worth it to go.
I ended up buying at Kal Tire because they also do free rotations. They were a few bucks more, but I figured over the life of the tires I'm going to save more than that in time.
Costco is the cheapest for propane that i found. Usually $12 for 20 pound tank and $18 for 40 pounds
I'm sad that there's no propane in GVRD.
Does your Pc membership give you back a rebate

Their points system is actually pretty decent.
Even though I don't shop there too often, I've managed to rack up $300 worth of points.
It took me like 5 years though.
It does suck that it's variable in terms of how much they're actually worth (ie during a redemption promo) whereas I know for certain that my $135 Executive check is worth exactly $135 today, tomorrow, or next month.
or is it just convenient just to sit in your car while people pick your food for you
To be fair, if Costco offered grocery pickup, I'd be ecstatic.
I hate brick and mortar.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2015
2423 posts
1872 upvotes
Cochrane, AB
death_hawk wrote:
Jan 26th, 2019 7:17 pm
Speaking specifically about in store, but how is Superstore not scattered?
Yes, there's the grocery picking service, but that's not available for anything but groceries.
SuperStore is actually labelled aisle by aisle with things clearly laid out and easy to see. For Costco, you don't know which aisle you need to walk to whereas it is easy to see at SuperStore just by looking up at the aisle labels. And what you say about pickup is only for groceries is absolutely false. You are just making that up. The SuperStore website clearly has their Home & Lifestyle section you can order from that includes their home and beauty sections.

death_hawk wrote:
Jan 26th, 2019 7:17 pm
How much are you realistically returning that this is an issue?
Out of the thousands of dollars I've spent there (and frankly anywhere) I've made maybe a half dozen returns total at every merchant.
If you're a serial renter, I can see this being an issue.
But for a normal person?
I do price protection or returns a few times every year and each time it is a major pain at Costco. It takes at least 20 minutes. It is a MAJOR issue. A complete waste of my time having to wait in such long lines when every other store gets you talking to someone in a few minutes at most. Costco has major issues.

death_hawk wrote:
Jan 26th, 2019 7:17 pm
This isn't the fault of the store. Any place with free carts has this issue.
No, it is the fault of Costco and the entitlement culture it built with it's members that everyone leaves their carts littered over the entire parking lot. Nowhere else is this such as issue. Even Walmart customers rarely do this.

death_hawk wrote:
Jan 26th, 2019 7:17 pm

I picked a random printer off 123inks and found this cartridge:
HP 902XL
123inks wants $25.
Costco wants $20.
Granted... it's a refill so you'll need a cartridge to fill, but they're usually good for a few fills before needing to be tossed.
Refill at Costco 5 times and use the savings to buy a free refurb from 123 and do it again.
Now you are just pulling random things together. You compare Costco puncturing your existing cartridge to refill it that only works a few times to a professionally manufacturered 3rd party cartridge that is brand new and saying Costco is cheaper. No way, amigo. And then you don't even consider that 123ink frequently has sales on their cartridges. Why would I drive all the way to Costco to wait an hour for them to refill a cartridge that may or may not work when I can get a brand new one when it goes on sale that is the same price or cheaper than Costco doing a refill and I don't have to wait in the store for an hour?


death_hawk wrote:
Jan 26th, 2019 7:17 pm
Kirkland AAs are cheaper ($13.50 online) than AmazonBasics AAs ($15.00)
I'll give you the chemistries mostly because they don't frequently carry them or don't carry them at all.
I will say that I haven't found a better price on a similar AGM. Everyone else was $10-20 more.
Now you are just cherry picking what you want to compare Costco to instead of looking at all the AA batteries on Amazon. These ACDelco AA batteries 48 pack on Amazon is regularly priced at $13.49 and $12.82 with 5% subscribe and save or $11.47 with 15% subscribe and save. This is dramatically cheaper than Costco and they are rated at 4.5 stars. Plus I don't have to drive all the way to Costco and waste my time in store.

https://www.amazon.ca/ACDelco-Batteries ... B01I31F0PW
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
23395 posts
9027 upvotes
JoeStale wrote:
Jan 26th, 2019 9:31 pm
SuperStore is actually labelled aisle by aisle with things clearly laid out and easy to see. For Costco, you don't know which aisle you need to walk to whereas it is easy to see at SuperStore just by looking up at the aisle labels.
That doesn't mean I can actually find things.
I've wandered up and down 4 different aisles before because X could be under 4 different categories.
And what you say about pickup is only for groceries is absolutely false. You are just making that up. The SuperStore website clearly has their Home & Lifestyle section you can order from that includes their home and beauty sections.
Oh right, I bought shaving cream once.
My point is, their entire store isn't available. If it's not on the list, you're going inside.
I do price protection or returns a few times every year and each time it is a major pain at Costco. It takes at least 20 minutes. It is a MAJOR issue. A complete waste of my time having to wait in such long lines when every other store gets you talking to someone in a few minutes at most. Costco has major issues.
Pick a different day maybe? The few times I do need to do returns it's never been that long.
There's maybe 10-15 people on a busy day, but also 4 people doing returns.
It takes maybe 10 minutes assuming you're not going on a Saturday.
No, it is the fault of Costco and the entitlement culture it built with it's members that everyone leaves their carts littered over the entire parking lot. Nowhere else is this such as issue. Even Walmart customers rarely do this.
Sure it is. Every single retailer I've ever been to that has free carts has this issue.
Walmart is just as bad.
Now you are just pulling random things together. You compare Costco puncturing your existing cartridge to refill it that only works a few times to a professionally manufacturered 3rd party cartridge that is brand new and saying Costco is cheaper.

REmanufactured. Also known as filling.
The fun part is that they may or may not be using 3rd party cartridges which could be worse compared to you filling genuine cartridges.
Not that it matters in the long run. Who uses ink at this point anyway? If you're not using laser, you're wasting money.
Or if you need ink, you're wasting even more money by not using a continuous ink system.

No way, amigo. And then you don't even consider that 123ink frequently has sales on their cartridges.
Sure didn't Mostly because I haven't heard of this company until about 4 hours ago.
Why would I drive all the way to Costco to wait an hour for them to refill a cartridge that may or may not work when I can get a brand new one when it goes on sale that is the same price or cheaper than Costco doing a refill and I don't have to wait in the store for an hour?
123 is selling 3 types of cartridges:
-Genuine
-Compatible
-Remanufactured.

The only place Costco competes is Genuine and Remanufactured.
Now... this isn't really a fair fight since I don't know what 123 sells for when on sale.
But here's the first print cartridge I could find as an example:
Image
https://www.123ink.ca/p-360851-950xl-95 ... ch%23951XL
Unless they literally have a half price sale, It's not even a contest.

EDIT: Searched for 123ink and RFD. Black Friday brought 25% off.
I'll go with Costco. Or rather I'll go with Laser. But you get the idea.

EDIT; Stupid HP... why is the same part number coming up for like 3 different things.
123 has CMYK. Costco is only CMY.
So assuming you're in this for the long haul, you can buy the 950XL separately as a 2 pack for $67.49.
This makes sense anyway since you're probably using black more than anything.
So adjusting for this, a single black cartridge is $33.75. Plus the original color pack for $82.50 brings you to $116.25.
123 lists the CMYK combo for $163. Minus 25% and you're looking at $122.25.

EDIT: I hate you HP... more than I did before.
Anyway..

Same Photo but for the 62XL.
https://www.123ink.ca/p-356340-62xl-oem ... rch%2362xl
Even after 25% off during Black Friday, Costco is $5 cheaper.

Here's another one:
Image

$4-5 cheaper for both even after 25% off.

As for remanufactured, I'd take refilled any day of the week.
You're buying someone else's used cartridge that was filled. You have no idea how many cycles it's been through. Plus it's most likely a "compatible" cartridge and not a genuine one.
That's a different argument altogether, but I'd rather have a real one that I know the cycle count of than a random one.
Now you are just cherry picking what you want to compare Costco to instead of looking at all the AA batteries on Amazon. These ACDelco AA batteries 48 pack on Amazon is regularly priced at $13.49 and $12.82 with 5% subscribe and save or $11.47 with 15% subscribe and save. This is dramatically cheaper than Costco and they are rated at 4.5 stars. Plus I don't have to drive all the way to Costco and waste my time in store.
No, I just didn't think to search for other brands.
Kirkland's also go on sale. I don't recall the price offhand, nor can I find it via searching (since all Costco posts are photo based instead of text based) but I'm 80% certain they go for $9.99.

Side note: It's a 48 pack. Do you not plan ahead and pick up batteries when you're low instead of realizing you have zero at the last minute and rushing off to buy more?
How about these other chemistries you were talking about earlier? Couldn't you shove something else in until you get your next set of batteries?
Last edited by death_hawk on Jan 26th, 2019 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
15858 posts
6025 upvotes
A lot of people are fooled into Costco and then keep their membership by trying to justify it: "Oh the gas is soooo much cheaper", "Oh the meat is sooo much better", "Oh the lineups are never long". They are mostly lies told to themselves to make them feel better about their membership.

I find Costco has it's place. It generally has higher quality merchandise than a discount grocer. It generally has no limits on quantities when you purchase sale items. It generally has a very competitive every day price. It has a $1.50 hot dog and pop. And it has far and away the best satisfaction guarantee out of everyone.


I keep my membership because it's only $50 or so a year. Some Costco items I really like and the brands are not available elsewhere (not to say I wouldn't like an equivalent). And if I am purchasing something higher end (furniture, appliances) I like the warranty and service they offer.

PC Insiders, which I also have, is a completely different program and in no way comparable. PC Insiders is more for the discounts, free shipping, free pickup, etc. It can really help for convenience if you do not like shopping - I can only imagine how much time it would save a family as my Click and Collect orders take all of 5 minutes of time.
Member
Nov 12, 2012
470 posts
180 upvotes
Port Moody
JoeStale wrote:
Jan 26th, 2019 5:58 pm
Because I want to know if people just shop at Costco and pay for a membership out of habit and don't know any better about lower prices and faster shopping elsewhere or if I'm missing something that actually makes it worthwhile to pay $100+ for Costco every year. Is it just the herd following the herd?
Yes. The Costco shoppers are sheep, IMO. I agree with everything you've said. And like you, I'm always looking for someone to give me a reason to buy a Costco membership.

I used to have one for gas, but now I have more time to I fill up in the US. I do like the clothes they carry, too. And I've bought some cheap electronics there - and they do have a good warranty. So if I'm in the market for a big ticket item, I may buy another membership.

I'm saving waaay more money doing my regular shopping at Superstore and SDM with the PCO program. And I go to superstore in the AM on weekends - all lanes open. Plethora of parking. All the Coscto shoppers are still waiting in line outside Costco on Saturday morning still waiting for it to open when I'm done my shopping! Hahahahahaha!
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2013
8003 posts
3945 upvotes
Toronto
Depends on what you guys buy. Somethings are cheaper, somethings are the same price or marginally more expensive.

You can cherry pick items at both stores. I find Costco to be expensive for produce (fruits/veggies) versus Metro sales, Loblaws sales, or No Frills, Freshco, food basics.

BUT, the costco produce is generally in better condition than most of the other places.

for example, avocados, lemons... expensive... BUT the avocados and lemons are always the best.. Ive yet to find these items to be superior at any other grocery.. of course that's just 1 item.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
23395 posts
9027 upvotes
daivey wrote:
Jan 27th, 2019 1:56 pm
I find Costco to be expensive for produce (fruits/veggies) versus Metro sales, Loblaws sales, or No Frills, Freshco, food basics.

BUT, the costco produce is generally in better condition than most of the other places.
That and meat. Steak cuts are always over $10/lb whereas most grocery stores go as low as $5/lb.

I barely make it home before my Superstore chicken is fuzzy.
I get 2 weeks with Costco chicken.

I'm not even going to get into how hideous ground meat is at Superstore.
The ironic thing is that ground pork especially is a buck or two per pound cheaper at Costco.
for example, avocados, lemons... expensive... BUT the avocados and lemons are always the best.. Ive yet to find these items to be superior at any other grocery.. of course that's just 1 item.
I mean... I get it's Costco so everything has to be in a 4 pack.
But sometimes I just want one damn lemon...
Member
User avatar
Nov 21, 2009
375 posts
168 upvotes
Moncton
JoeStale wrote:
Jan 26th, 2019 3:53 pm
Whereas Costco would take an hour at least, I would only be at Superstore a few minutes.
Even in Moncton of all places, shopping at Costco is a pilgrimage; a quick in-and-out is impossible regardless of when you decide to go.

I get that some people like the Costco model but man, it's so inefficient (even by brick 'n mortar standards) plus I can get better deals elsewhere. Luckily if I need to buy a TV, my mother-in-law has a membership.

Top