Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2003
1338 posts
113 upvotes

[Costco] Costco - Kaizen 100% Whey Protein - 2kg - $37.50

Noticed that Costco had a new brand of whey powder last time I was in. I bought a tub and the Decadent Chocolate tastes pretty good (in fact the label says "Voted Best Tasting Whey Powder). Here's a link from the Kaizen site
http://www.kaizennutrition.com/html/100whey.html

I see that the one I have is sweetened with Stevia (natural sweetener) and Acesulfame Potassium. It also has enzymes to aid digestion.
32 replies
Jul 19, 2006
643 posts
11 upvotes
It was hard to find reviews anywhere on that. It's about ~80% which isn't bad for a mix. How is the mixability of the protein? And did you see what the other flavours were, probably vanilla and this chocolate?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2003
1338 posts
113 upvotes
Steveoph wrote:
Dec 9th, 2006 7:11 pm
It was hard to find reviews anywhere on that. It's about ~80% which isn't bad for a mix. How is the mixability of the protein? And did you see what the other flavours were, probably vanilla and this chocolate?
It mixes really easy, I just put it in a bottle with some water, shook it for a few seconds and there were no lumps. The only flavour they had there was the Decadent Chocolate, no vanilla or anything else.
Nov 20, 2006
9 posts
Markham
Is the price for 2KG or 2LBS? I'm just asking b/c the website shows 2lbs and 5lbs only. thanks.
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2006
1366 posts
44 upvotes
Sorry guys im new to this stuff but what does this product actually do?

Bulk up I know.. but are there any side effects and what not?
Oct 31, 2006
58 posts
4 upvotes
Protein Powders are just a way to get extra protein into your system. It's not a drug, it's a food. If you're working out a lot, it can be hard getting enough protein into your diet: this is just a shortcut.
Side effects: some people get phlegmy from dairy.
If you're not working out, you'll just poop it out. So diahhrea remains a potential side effect. :)
Feb 4, 2004
53 posts
1 upvote
I've bought one and as cOmAtOaSt said, it mixes pretty well. The taste is average but I would say that it mixes a little bit better than average and for the price you can't go wrong.

I was lucky because I've bought it at a new Costco store that had a $8 coupon on top of that.

soysosboy: It's 2kg (4.4 lbs)
Sep 1, 2006
340 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto
I've seen better prices for 5 lbs. Both Supplementscanada.com and Sndcanada.com have cheaper and better known alternatives.
May 11, 2006
119 posts
Mississauga
cOmAtOaSt wrote:
Dec 9th, 2006 6:36 pm
I see that the one I have is sweetened with Stevia (natural sweetener) and Acesulfame Potassium. It also has enzymes to aid digestion.
Just because it's "natural" doesn't mean it's good. Very little research has actually been done on stevia extract. iirc, it was used in one study as blood pressure meds. Same goes for Acesulfame K.

I don't know which sweetener is best, but sucralose (most common in protein supps) has been around longer so at least we know (hopefully) most of it's evils.

Just FYI
May 6, 2006
710 posts
67 upvotes
This is probably the best tasting whey protein that I've purchased from Costco. Here are the stats:
1 scoop = 30.4 g

Calories: 122
Fat: 1.5g (Saturated 0.5g, Trans 0g)
Cholesterol: 10mg
Sodium: 40mg
Potassium: 200mg
Carbohydrate: 3g (Fibre 0g, Sugars 1g)
Protein: 24g

Ingredients: Protein Blend (cross flow micro-filtration whey protein isolate, ultrafiltered whey protein concentrate and hydrolyzed why peptides), cocoa, natural flavours, Enzyme Blend (Protease I, Protease II, Lactase, Amylase), soy lecithin, stevia leaf, acesulfame potassium (28mg / 30.4g)
Deal Guru
Mar 30, 2002
12415 posts
1 upvote
31 Spooner St. NIFOC
Not bad, but you can get better deals sometimes from independent stores like Nutrition House

I suggest Nature's Best/Precision Iso Pro Low.. more protein, less carbs, less fat and cheaper.
:hay:

[You got a dream, you gotta protect it. People can't do something themselves, they wanna tell you that you can't do it. You want something? Go get it. Period.]
Jul 19, 2006
643 posts
11 upvotes
c0deine wrote:
Dec 10th, 2006 9:41 am
I've bought one and as cOmAtOaSt said, it mixes pretty well. The taste is average but I would say that it mixes a little bit better than average and for the price you can't go wrong.

I was lucky because I've bought it at a new Costco store that had a $8 coupon on top of that.

soysosboy: It's 2kg (4.4 lbs)
If it was $30 for 5 lbs, that's a good price, even compared to online retailers. Sure it might not have the perfect Amino Acid profile, but it has the Protease enzymes, and can help get protein into your diet. Good for just throwing in a milkshake when you don't have time, or adding protein to oatmeal etc. Plus chocolate is an amazing test, i love my Rocky Road protein powder :)
Deal Addict
Mar 25, 2005
2457 posts
18 upvotes
zentinel wrote:
Dec 10th, 2006 9:07 am

If you're not working out, you'll just poop it out.
This is completely false.
Nov 4, 2006
11 posts
I personally use QuickMass exclusively now.
I find getting protein to be easier than getting an excess amount of calories.

Quickmass (per two servings)
Calories: 1010
Fat: 14g
Protein: 56g
Carbs: 169g

It definitely helps you bulk up. It blends extremely well, and tastes great to boot.

Only downside is that it's not super-cheap, I pay about $60 for 10 lbs, which I find to be a respectable price.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2003
1776 posts
144 upvotes
StaplesEmp wrote:
Dec 10th, 2006 12:21 pm
Quickmass (per two servings)
Calories: 1010
Fat: 14g
Protein: 56g
Carbs: 169g
Everyone uses a different serving size, so you better say how many grams all of that is so that fair comparisons can be made :)
× < >