Expired Hot Deals

[Costco] Costco: Kidde Carbon Monoxide Detector$ $29.99 (after $9.00 instant saving)

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 14th, 2009 3:22 pm
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2008
1213 posts
31 upvotes
Toronto

[Costco] Costco: Kidde Carbon Monoxide Detector$ $29.99 (after $9.00 instant saving)

Costco has a $9.00 deduct discount on Carbon Monoxide Detector on sale. After the discount sale for $38.99. It has a display of Carbon Monoxide level and backup battery.
25 replies
Apr 8, 2007
174 posts
35 upvotes
I picked up one of these, but 38.99 was the price before discount!
Jun 14, 2005
46 posts
Can u please send me the costco link.I was unable to find on costco website
Sep 11, 2005
35 posts
2 upvotes
Brampton
I also bought the said CO detector at Costco for $38.99 about a month ago.

I have seen the 29.99 price in some coupon book recently. The after coupon price should be 29.99.
Sep 3, 2007
605 posts
21 upvotes
Aurora
Hi, (please pardon my ignorance)

I just moved into a brand new house. It has a smoke detector on each floor connected to a electricity (no batteries needed). I am wondering if carbon monoxide detection is built into them or it's just the smoke detection?

I realize that without knowing which model of detector I have, it's hard for one to answer my question, however, I was hoping someone may have a general idea as to per building code the builder gives you a carbon monoxide detector or not.

Thanks.
Jun 15, 2001
396 posts
45 upvotes
T.O.
joejack wrote:
Oct 9th, 2009 7:55 am

I just moved into a brand new house. It has a smoke detector on each floor connected to a electricity (no batteries needed). I am wondering if carbon monoxide detection is built into them or it's just the smoke detection?

I realize that without knowing which model of detector I have, it's hard for one to answer my question, however, I was hoping someone may have a general idea as to per building code the builder gives you a carbon monoxide detector or not.

Thanks.
The Ontario Fire Code requires that smoke detectors be installed on every level of a residential home. CO detectors are not mandatory. It is, however a very good idea to also install CO detectors (especially in sleeping areas).

It is highly unlikely that the smoke detectors installed in your house by the builder are combo smoke/CO detectors (due to the cost).
Sep 3, 2007
605 posts
21 upvotes
Aurora
Thanks for the quick reply.

I will be sure to get one (maybe more?)

You mentioned, one should be installed in the sleeping area...wondering why sleeping area? I guess it would be easier for one to hear this while sleeping...however, wouldn't it be better to install it in an area where the actual source maybe? i.e. entrance from the garage (and) or kitchen area.

Thanks for all feedback.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2008
1213 posts
31 upvotes
Toronto
It is best to get one for each floor and I do believed the $29.99 detector is well worth the price to save your life and your family. It should be in the sleeping area because that when you are not awake and unaware of the carbon monoxide level at your house.

joejack wrote:
Oct 9th, 2009 8:26 am

You mentioned, one should be installed in the sleeping area...wondering why sleeping area? I guess it would be easier for one to hear this while sleeping...however, wouldn't it be better to install it in an area where the actual source maybe? i.e. entrance from the garage (and) or kitchen area.

Thanks for all feedback.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2009
1168 posts
233 upvotes
West Vancouver
cutesnoopydoll wrote:
Oct 9th, 2009 8:38 am
It is best to get one for each floor and I do believed the $29.99 detector is well worth the price to save your life and your family. It should be in the sleeping area because that when you are not awake and unaware of the carbon monoxide level at your house.
Agreed 100%! One per floor and I have done so in my last 10 homes. It amazes me still how many people don't know about CO detectors and haven't protected themselves and their families. To be clear, I'm not being of critical of joejack at all; in fact, I commend joejack for asking about them and cutesnoopydoll for helping out with some great advice.

When I meet people who question why CO detectors are important, I too mention the low cost of protection and I like to remind them of higher profile people who have died in their sleep from CO gas such as the famous tennis player, Vitas Gerulaitis , who died at age 40, RIP.
Jul 9, 2009
52 posts
Burlington
A CO (carbon monoxide) detector is equally if not more important to have as a smoke detector. CO is tasteless, orderless and colourless poison that at moderate levels causes serious illness and high levels can kill.

CO is caused by improperly functioning fuel-burning appliances furnace, gas stove, gas fireplaces and during winter cars left running in garages or outside near a window the emissions WILL enter the home. I know many people that do not do a yearly maintenance on their fuel-burning appliances which makes it even more important to have a CO detector.

Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
Low levels of carbon monoxide poisoning can be confused with flu symptoms, food poisoning or other illnesses and can have a long term health risk if left unattended. Some of the symptoms are the following.

* Shortness of breath
* Mild nausea
* Mild headaches

Moderate levels of CO exposure can cause death if the following symptoms persist for a long measure of time.

* Headaches
* Dizziness
* Nausea
* Light-headedness

High levels of CO can be fatal causing death within minutes.

a link to CO prevention http://www.carbon-monoxide-poisoning.com/index.html
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2001
4773 posts
38 upvotes
Toronto
joejack wrote:
Oct 9th, 2009 7:55 am

Thanks.
Actually it's very common, in a newly built house, to have a smoke detectors installed on every floors, and a CO detector near the bedrooms and living room.
Mark77 wrote:
Nov 16th, 2011 9:37 pm
That's not very nice....and you're missing out on a lot of valuable knowledge if you ignore me. Your loss.
Jul 13, 2005
199 posts
13 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks OP,

how long is this sale for?

Is it the plug in type?
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2006
2289 posts
176 upvotes
One small note (although I don't think I saw it in Costco), do NOT buy the Natural Gas/CO combo units - for some reason they tend to fail prematurely (6 months in) and cause incredible panic/chaos at 1AM (the perfect time for them to fail).
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2007
3329 posts
382 upvotes
Valleywood
major wrote:
Oct 9th, 2009 8:11 am
The Ontario Fire Code requires that smoke detectors be installed on every level of a residential home. CO detectors are not mandatory. It is, however a very good idea to also install CO detectors (especially in sleeping areas).

It is highly unlikely that the smoke detectors installed in your house by the builder are combo smoke/CO detectors (due to the cost).
joejack wrote:
Oct 9th, 2009 8:26 am

Thanks for all feedback.
Before I spent upwards of $30 on a standalone CO detector, I would consider a combo unit.

I used the Kidde model 900-0114 (as in link above) to replace all smoke detectors in my house. This is almost as cheap, neater (only one device mounted to the ceiling), and no batteries (as you will have with a standalone CO detector). I would certainly replace any original builders units, regardless of age, with the combo unit to get the benefit of the CO detector.

With regards to the installation location. You want to place the CO detector where a concentration build-up is the most dangerous and that is closest to your sleeping areas.
× < >