Page 1 of 2

Costco - Kirkland Enameled Cast Iron Oval French Oven 8 Quarts $59.97

Posted: Mar 21st, 2013 10:36 pm
by THINKPADT61
This might not be a nationwide deal but we had it in our local Costco!

Is a beautiful pot and is made in France! Could this be a rebrand Le Creuset??

I actually have no clue how to use this and still on the fence in keeping it or not...

Can be heated up to 500F

Re: Costco - Kirkland Enameled Cast Iron Oval French Oven 8 Quarts $59.97

Posted: Mar 21st, 2013 10:37 pm
by Bedpan

Posted: Mar 21st, 2013 10:38 pm
by THINKPADT61

Posted: Mar 21st, 2013 10:40 pm
by lovespeanutbutter
If it says "French oven" instead of "Dutch oven", then it is probably Le Creuset.

French pride won't let them call it a dutch oven ;)

Posted: Mar 21st, 2013 10:46 pm
by spicytofu
I was walking past this section and believe I saw this at that price in downtown Vancouver location.

Posted: Mar 21st, 2013 10:49 pm
by THINKPADT61
So is it a keeper?

Posted: Mar 21st, 2013 10:50 pm
by Lauralai
THINKPADT61 wrote: This might not be a nationwide deal but we had it in our local Costco!

Is a beautiful pot and is made in France! Could this be a rebrand Le Creuset??

I actually have no clue how to use this and still on the fence in keeping it or not...

Can be heated up to 500F
A lot of ppl say it is a Staub and not LC. Not that it matters since both are good quality. Anyone see this in the GTA?

Posted: Mar 21st, 2013 11:01 pm
by YLSF
Saw it at the Burlington, ON Costco yesterday. Took a pic . I would definitely had bought it if I didn't already have a Staubb and a previous purchase from Costco (Mario Batalli Brand).

It is quiet large though, maybe too large for a single person or a couple.

[IMG]http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/9317 ... 153002.jpg[/IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Posted: Mar 21st, 2013 11:31 pm
by visionqueen
Thanks op! I'm starting my cast iron collection... This size will be perfect for the coming Easter gatherings!

Posted: Mar 22nd, 2013 12:13 am
by slowtyper
Good price. I passed because its too big for me (two people).

Posted: Mar 22nd, 2013 12:15 am
by marissa23
So..this is a dutch oven then? Can you saute and cook curries in it?

Posted: Mar 22nd, 2013 7:16 am
by shadow_cruiser
I bought this two months ago, while a great cast iron oven, there are many imperfections resulting in rusting early VERY easily. You have to put this in the oven after each wash for 20 minutes, as per the instructions, this is a must. After two months, mine is rusting quite a bit right under the screw. The enamel coating on it is very thin, or at least a lot thinner than a Le Creuset.

Posted: Mar 22nd, 2013 9:22 am
by afong56
shadow_cruiser wrote: I bought this two months ago, while a great cast iron oven, there are many imperfections resulting in rusting early VERY easily. You have to put this in the oven after each wash for 20 minutes, as per the instructions, this is a must. After two months, mine is rusting quite a bit right under the screw. The enamel coating on it is very thin, or at least a lot thinner than a Le Creuset.
that is really strange. they must have switched suppliers, as i have the previous kirkland oven, the round one, and have been using it regularly for over a year with none of the issues you have had. i don't do any post wash oven heating, only hand wash as instructed and air dry. . .it still looks brand new. don't put it in the dishwasher, and i don't think you'll have any problems. . .

i am going to buy one of the new ovals just to compare.

Posted: Mar 22nd, 2013 9:43 am
by mtl_cheapo
has anybody seen these in Ottawa/Gatineau areas?

Posted: Mar 22nd, 2013 10:46 am
by SKYMTL
I've been looking for another one for MONTHS now.....and it is OOS at all my local Costcos. :(

Too bad Costco doesn't have a stock checking system.

Posted: Mar 23rd, 2013 9:49 am
by shadow_cruiser
afong56 wrote: that is really strange. they must have switched suppliers, as i have the previous kirkland oven, the round one, and have been using it regularly for over a year with none of the issues you have had. i don't do any post wash oven heating, only hand wash as instructed and air dry. . .it still looks brand new. don't put it in the dishwasher, and i don't think you'll have any problems. . .

i am going to buy one of the new ovals just to compare.
They definitely did switch suppliers, I also have the Kirkland Siganature round oven I bought a year or two ago. I wanted another so I could two dishes at the same time. I don't own a dishwasher, I would never put a cast iron pot in a dishwasher anyways. The quality of the new pot has diminished greatly over the round version. The oval pot says to put it in the oven after each use where as the round pot said to air dry after each use. The exchanged the oval one last week thinking mine may have been a bad batch. The new one is rusting from underneath the screw again. The screw itself is not rusting as I was just going to replace it, it's the cast iron underneath it.
mtl_cheapo wrote: has anybody seen these in Ottawa/Gatineau areas?
I saw about 7 at the Merivale location when I went last week. The price wasn't $59.97 but that may have changed now.
SKYMTL wrote: I've been looking for another one for MONTHS now.....and it is OOS at all my local Costcos. :(

Too bad Costco doesn't have a stock checking system.
If you go into any Costco, they can check stock for you all the surrounding stores in your area. They are usually really friendly and nice about that :)

Posted: Mar 23rd, 2013 10:11 am
by rageking
shadow_cruiser wrote: They definitely did switch suppliers, I also have the Kirkland Siganature round oven I bought a year or two ago. I wanted another so I could two dishes at the same time. I don't own a dishwasher, I would never put a cast iron pot in a dishwasher anyways. The quality of the new pot has diminished greatly over the round version. The oval pot says to put it in the oven after each use where as the round pot said to air dry after each use. The exchanged the oval one last week thinking mine may have been a bad batch. The new one is rusting from underneath the screw again. The screw itself is not rusting as I was just going to replace it, it's the cast iron underneath it.

I saw about 7 at the Merivale location when I went last week. The price wasn't $59.97 but that may have changed now.

If you go into any Costco, they can check stock for you all the surrounding stores in your area. They are usually really friendly and nice about that :)

How thick is the enamel coating? The kitchenaid is 1mm thick, and doesnt rust. So odd saying an enamel coated dutch oven must be oven dried or it will rust

Posted: Mar 23rd, 2013 10:32 am
by granto
My wife and I picked one of these up yesterday in Ajax. There were lots left.

Posted: Mar 23rd, 2013 12:18 pm
by shadow_cruiser
rageking wrote: How thick is the enamel coating? The kitchenaid is 1mm thick, and doesnt rust. So odd saying an enamel coated dutch oven must be oven dried or it will rust
It doesn't say how thick it is but it seems similar to the Kitchenaid one. The reason why it rusts because these pots are not all made the same, the sand mold for each pot is destroyed and reformed again. Every pot has imperfections, nicks and dings, uncovering the cast iron underneath.

Posted: Mar 25th, 2013 10:19 pm
by j8lam
shadow_cruiser wrote: I bought this two months ago, while a great cast iron oven, there are many imperfections resulting in rusting early VERY easily. You have to put this in the oven after each wash for 20 minutes, as per the instructions, this is a must. After two months, mine is rusting quite a bit right under the screw. The enamel coating on it is very thin, or at least a lot thinner than a Le Creuset.
Where does it say you have to put in the oven for 20 minutes after each wash? I just picked one up in Ajax and don't see anything like that in the care instructions... I just see "Completely dry the pot before putting away. Do not put it away if it is still damp."