• Last Updated:
  • Nov 1st, 2017 2:36 pm
Nov 28, 2013
356 posts
117 upvotes
Montr
NBChick wrote:
Oct 30th, 2017 4:03 pm
For those that stock up, how long does one of these containers typically last?
When our little guy was drinking like crazy it lasted maybe a week. Right now he's one, and one lasts more than three weeks, he just drinks before bed.
Deal Guru
Nov 5, 2001
10759 posts
1279 upvotes
Edmonton
StEeElNuTz wrote:
Oct 30th, 2017 9:13 pm
At peak, its about 1 each week.
Even less during a growth spurts. He had one maybe 4 months ago and then another one last week.

Much better than the regular size Enfamil tubs from Superstore, one of those was lasting three or four days at most.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2011
2698 posts
1474 upvotes
Markham
Wassifdurrani wrote:
Oct 30th, 2017 12:10 pm
i read this product has low levels of DHA compared to others , any thoughts on this?
Synthetic DHA found in baby formulas haven't been linked to any increase in intelligence etc. In fact they are becoming a source of concern.
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2001
14114 posts
4577 upvotes
NBChick wrote:
Oct 30th, 2017 4:03 pm
For those that stock up, how long does one of these containers typically last?
Remember to also keep in mind to what age you plan to use it. For us we followed the recommendation of formula until 1 year old, then homo milk. Just so you do not over buy formula. During this time period (our case up until 1) you are also starting them on solids (cereals, purees, etc) and this takes away from the formula you would give them.

For example, here's an idea of how much during their first year:
https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/healthl ... _90,P02209

I'm not here to push an opinion on you - but more to caution you not to overbuy.
Mar 17, 2006
27 posts
3 upvotes
Burlington
Do you know if we bought formula last week if we bring in the receipt to get the difference refunded? Or do I have to bring in the formula too?
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2001
14114 posts
4577 upvotes
VoIPEng wrote:
Oct 30th, 2017 10:47 pm
Do you know if we bought formula last week if we bring in the receipt to get the difference refunded? Or do I have to bring in the formula too?
When I went in to get a price adjustment on a stove I purchased, I was told that they can only give price adjustments on items that are not discounted through the manufacturer - which led me to believe any of the coupon items or the "-5.00" items will not qualify.

Now don't get me wrong - it's costco and you can obviously return it and buy again. So I'm not really sure why but when I asked her again she said that's how it worked. Luckily my stove was a x.97 price so it wasn't a manufacturers coupon.
Deal Addict
May 31, 2005
1353 posts
213 upvotes
Mississauga
VoIPEng wrote:
Oct 30th, 2017 10:47 pm
Costco price protection is for 30 days. just bring the receipt and ask for a price adjustment.
[OP]
Oct 6, 2006
171 posts
86 upvotes
X24Secret wrote: I can only hope you consulted with pediatrition before you decided to dilute the product and reducing nutritional content.
We diluted by 10% but we gave him more formula through out the day... So long as you are giving them the recommended calories throughout the day there's little to no problem. In fact many paediatricians recommend you put extra water to keep them hydrated. If the drink tastes too bland the baby will reject the drink. It's a sweet spot that you have to find, of course this is baby specific and I do recommend you consult your paediatrician.
:twisted: May your wallet R.I.P :twisted:
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2011
2698 posts
1474 upvotes
Markham
Busta wrote:
Oct 30th, 2017 11:52 pm
We diluted by 10% but we gave him more formula through out the day... So long as you are giving them the recommended calories throughout the day there's little to no problem. In fact many paediatricians recommend you put extra water to keep them hydrated. If the drink tastes too bland the baby will reject the drink. It's a sweet spot that you have to find, of course this is baby specific and I do recommend you consult your paediatrician.
Please do NOT give out advice like puting extra water in baby formula! It can hurt infant kidney's and other organs and/or lead to chronic malnutrition.

Giving more diluted formula throughout the day to compensate for the decrease in powder you're just making things worse as you are compounding the issue.

No pediatrician will ever advise to just add extra water without an underlying medical need/reason!

The "sweet spot" is the precise manufacturer's recommended powder/water ratio. Period.
Jan 16, 2009
222 posts
59 upvotes
for those that go thru these one tub a week, how many ml are your kids drinking and what age are they? exclusively formula I assume?
Apr 28, 2017
8 posts
8 upvotes
Just show the original receipt in return desk and ask for price adjustment. I was told by a sales Rep that we need to do price adjustment within a week time. No need to carry product.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7219 posts
565 upvotes
Toronto
FYI this formula is the same as the one branded Parents Choice @ Walmart, and the one made for President's Choice as well. It is by far even at regular price the cheapest option.
[OP]
Oct 6, 2006
171 posts
86 upvotes
X24Secret wrote:
Oct 31st, 2017 12:27 am
Please do NOT give out advice like puting extra water in baby formula! It can hurt infant kidney's and other organs and/or lead to chronic malnutrition.

Giving more diluted formula throughout the day to compensate for the decrease in powder you're just making things worse as you are compounding the issue.

No pediatrician will ever advise to just add extra water without an underlying medical need/reason!

The "sweet spot" is the precise manufacturer's recommended powder/water ratio. Period.
I get what you mean and I agree with you wholeheartedly ... We did ask our pediatrician, she did review the formula, the constipation and his developement plan. She agreed with us that it was ok to add extra water in the formula to lessen the constipation. we made a plan to gradually increase the water portion in the formula and had him revisit his pediatrician to make sure that everything is ok. Hes been on it for 3 months now and is progressing well.

Like I said... each baby is different and make sure you check with your pediatrician to ensure it is ok with your little one.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2011
2698 posts
1474 upvotes
Markham
Busta wrote:
Oct 31st, 2017 9:43 am
I get what you mean and I agree with you wholeheartedly ... We did ask our pediatrician, she did review the formula, the constipation and his developement plan. She agreed with us that it was ok to add extra water in the formula to lessen the constipation. we made a plan to gradually increase the water portion in the formula and had him revisit his pediatrician to make sure that everything is ok. Hes been on it for 3 months now and is progressing well.

Like I said... each baby is different and make sure you check with your pediatrician to ensure it is ok with your little one.
Personally I would have:

A) Added Biogaia which solves 90% of the constipation issues.

B) Failing above, switched formula around to find one that works at recommended dose.

10% more water doesn't sound like much, over the course of days and weeks, it's a lot of extra water. The issue is not just the extra water, but by altering the consistancy you're also altering the absorption rates and increasing chances of electrolite imbalances.

It's likely with that amount of dilution baby likely adapts and grows up just fine whit in the "normal" band of the growth chart, there is really no good reason to dilute and deprive nutrition on a permanent or semi-permanent basis prior to exhausting every other measure or means, specially for infants under 6 months old as no one can predict the long term effects (if any) so why risk it?

At 6 months and above, the baby's digestive system is much better at adapting and the introduction of solid or semi-solid foods lessens the concerns regarding dilution but it's still best to stick to the dosage on the box.
[OP]
Oct 6, 2006
171 posts
86 upvotes
X24Secret wrote:
Oct 31st, 2017 2:35 pm
Personally I would have:

A) Added Biogaia which solves 90% of the constipation issues.

B) Failing above, switched formula around to find one that works at recommended dose.

10% more water doesn't sound like much, over the course of days and weeks, it's a lot of extra water. The issue is not just the extra water, but by altering the consistancy you're also altering the absorption rates and increasing chances of electrolite imbalances.

It's likely with that amount of dilution baby likely adapts and grows up just fine whit in the "normal" band of the growth chart, there is really no good reason to dilute and deprive nutrition on a permanent or semi-permanent basis prior to exhausting every other measure or means, specially for infants under 6 months old as no one can predict the long term effects (if any) so why risk it?

At 6 months and above, the baby's digestive system is much better at adapting and the introduction of solid or semi-solid foods lessens the concerns regarding dilution but it's still best to stick to the dosage on the box.
thats interesting ... ill follow-up with the pediatrician again. Thanks for the advice.