• Last Updated:
  • Aug 14th, 2018 4:04 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Dec 3, 2010
5 posts

Costco Laptops

I'm trying to decide between an HP Stream Cloudbook from Costco and an Acer Aspire 315. Thoughts or should I get something different? I only have $400 to spend including tax.
Images
  • Screenshot_20180811-193642_Samsung Internet.jpg
  • 20180804_130512.jpg
9 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
17859 posts
2560 upvotes
GTA West
I saw the CloudBook Stream today and it has one of those ******(&#*% bilingual French/English keyboards.
The display will also drive you insane: 14" @ 1366x768. Please.
Better to stay away just to preserve your sanity.

HP Stream Cloudbook Model 14-cb103ca

Specs are:
RAM: 4 GB DDR4-2400
Storage: 64GB eMMC
Video: Intel UHD 600
Display: 14.0" 1366x768
Audio: Miscellaneous HD audio chipset
Webcam: Front VGA Cam
2 x USB 3.1
1 x USB 2.0
1 x HDMI 1.4
1 headphone / mic combo jack
802.11 ac
Bluetooth 4.2
1.8 cm x 33.7 cm x 22.6 cm
1.44 kg
Included 1 year MS Office 365.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2007
4688 posts
1133 upvotes
Alberta
x2 on the bilingual keyboard. They SUCK! This Stream Cloud book is already obsolete. Dual core Intel Celeron N4000 @ 1.1ghz, no thanks.
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
1998 posts
1043 upvotes
As much as people here hate the place, I say walk into Best Buy and see what's the best you can get for your $400. It's how I bought my current one (my last one died and I needed a replacement ASAP). I picked up an Asus that was on clearance that week for the price I budgeted for, and it's lasted longer than any of my previous notebooks, still going strong after almost 4 years now. And I thought Asus was a crap brand, fully expecting to be replacing it in 3 years or less... it's been a pleasant surprise.

Oh yes, it has the bilingual keyboard but not the really badly laid out kind (I've seen some where, because of the extra keys crammed in, the "enter", "shift" and "ctrl" keys became tiny, which is a big negative. Not so with this one). That's what you need to look at... sometimes the only way to avoid the bilingual keyboard is to buy in the USA...
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
17859 posts
2560 upvotes
GTA West
EastGTARedFlagger wrote:
Aug 12th, 2018 12:12 am
And I thought Asus was a crap brand, fully expecting to be replacing it in 3 years or less... it's been a pleasant surprise.

Oh yes, it has the bilingual keyboard but not the really badly laid out kind (I've seen some where, because of the extra keys crammed in, the "enter", "shift" and "ctrl" keys became tiny, which is a big negative. Not so with this one). That's what you need to look at... sometimes the only way to avoid the bilingual keyboard is to buy in the USA...
ASUS has never been a crap brand. They were always one of the better Taiwanese manufacturers and have even been subcontracted by Apple to produce hardware.

If I ever got a laptop with the bilingual keyboard, I'd fnd the part number of the US English keyboard and get it on eBay or something.
Tuition to the School of Life is not tax deductible.
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
1998 posts
1043 upvotes
Jucius Maximus wrote:
Aug 12th, 2018 1:53 am
ASUS has never been a crap brand. They were always one of the better Taiwanese manufacturers and have even been subcontracted by Apple to produce hardware.

If I ever got a laptop with the bilingual keyboard, I'd fnd the part number of the US English keyboard and get it on eBay or something.
Now that I know that, both by experience and from what you're telling me, I'll definitely be shopping for another Asus when this one finally needs replaced. And it doesn't look like it will anytime soon :-)

I just remember when I first started seeing Asus in the stores they were always one of the cheaper brands out there. Like I said, pleasant surprise!
Feb 15, 2017
119 posts
113 upvotes
Toronto
EastGTARedFlagger wrote:
Aug 12th, 2018 12:12 am
As much as people here hate the place, I say walk into Best Buy and see what's the best you can get for your $400. It's how I bought my current one (my last one died and I needed a replacement ASAP). I picked up an Asus that was on clearance that week for the price I budgeted for, and it's lasted longer than any of my previous notebooks, still going strong after almost 4 years now. And I thought Asus was a crap brand, fully expecting to be replacing it in 3 years or less... it's been a pleasant surprise.

Agree with this. I'd like to add that with a bilingual keyboard I always remap the Caps Lock to a left shift key.
Nov 14, 2008
664 posts
206 upvotes
what will you use these super low end netbook/laptop for?

cloudbook aka netbook is a I dont care if it breaks/gets stolen/use for extremely short period/watching movies on a plane, take to school to transfer notes and use a real desktop at home
acer laptop is all i do is browse the internet laptop and or see above use comments

Anything other above scenarios (eg as you main computer ) would be painful

'm trying to decide between an HP Stream Cloudbook from Costco and an Acer Aspire 315. Thoughts or should I get something different? I only have $400 to spend including tax.
[/quote]
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2011
1826 posts
768 upvotes
Saint John
I appreciate the value of setting a hard budget. But you could get 5X the machine in a refurb Thinkpad T450S from Bauer Systems: $150 more gets you (most likely a 14" 1080p IPS display, 240GB SSD, and i5 CPU, and 8GB of RAM. Not to mention a hell of a well built machine. Those pieces you're looking at at Costco are just rubbish. A goof refurb Thinkpad is built ruggedly and will serve you well for many years. If it breaks, Thinkpads are actually designed to be easily repairable, and parts are easy to come by.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... l=en#gid=0
Jun 13, 2018
22 posts
13 upvotes
The laptops you listed have "kill it with fire" quality CPUs but I'd take the windows machine. Chrome OS is limited.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)