• Last Updated:
  • Jul 7th, 2010 5:41 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Feb 11, 2003
87 posts

Costco Lawn Mower -Yard Pro Y160Y21R - $399

Not sure if this is a good deal or not, but this self-propelled mower is 21", with a Honda engine does mulching sells for $399. Looks like a good deal to me, but feel free to comment. If anyone thinks it's hot, please post in Hot Deals - I am not sure.
8 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
6163 posts
2501 upvotes
Alberta
You can get a cheaper Sears Craftsman when on sale for cheaper. Some of them have the Honda engine also.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2007
1981 posts
320 upvotes
Red Deer
I hate to bring up an old thread but I'm in need of a new mower and a friend of mine told me to get a Honda (not sure if he meant a Honda mower or one with merely a Honda engine in it).

Anyhow, saw this Yard Pro at Costco today for $399. It's a three-in-one, self propelled and has a 160cc Honda engine. It seems decent.

Last week I was looking at actual Honda mowers and the equivalent Honda is upwards of $600 (the Honda mower that's equivalent to this Yard Pro is the Honda HRR2165VKC and it's about $750).

Does anyone know if there's a huge noticeable difference between Honda mowers and third party mowers with Honda engines? I mean differences that justify the (almost) doubling in price.
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2005
2717 posts
259 upvotes
Bought this mower from Costco 5 days ago and I'm satisfied with it so far. I love the self propelled feature since it makes mowing a 100+ ft backyard a lot easier compared to my previous mower.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2007
1981 posts
320 upvotes
Red Deer
^^^
Have you mulched with it? If so, how do you rate its mulching performance? Does it cut them really fine?
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2005
2717 posts
259 upvotes
Rob76 wrote:
Jul 4th, 2010 11:04 pm
^^^
Have you mulched with it? If so, how do you rate its mulching performance? Does it cut them really fine?
It didn't do a good job at mulching but it may be because the grass was way to tall. I'll try again now that we've settled.

P.S. A friend of mine told me that this mower is an additional $100 off! I'll call them when I get a chance and find out if it's true so I can get my price adjusted.

The non-self propelled version is also sapposedly on sale for 250
Banned
May 12, 2004
9759 posts
4102 upvotes
Ottawa
TheRide wrote:
Jul 6th, 2010 5:47 pm
It didn't do a good job at mulching but it may be because the grass was way to tall. I'll try again now that we've settled.

P.S. A friend of mine told me that this mower is an additional $100 off! I'll call them when I get a chance and find out if it's true so I can get my price adjusted.

The non-self propelled version is also sapposedly on sale for 250
Yes it's true. The self-propelled is now 299.97 and the push one is 249.97. I got my price adjustment last night.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2007
1981 posts
320 upvotes
Red Deer
Thanks TheRide and Cas77. I just went into Costco in Red Deer and they had two left for $299.97; Got one. Didn't see any of the non-self-propelled models there.

I was pleasantly surprised to find out this is a Rear Wheel Drive self-propelled; I was under the impression, especially considering the price, that this was a Front WD.

This should almost now be in the Hot Deals section, no?

EDIT: I've also noticed that the self-propelled is variable speed as opposed to the typical single-speed. This is getting better and better. :)
Sep 8, 2009
773 posts
108 upvotes
clearance? i must run!

dammit sold out already!