[Costco] Costco Liquor (AB only) Kirkland Signature Speyside Scotch Whisky

• Last Updated:
  • May 28th, 2013 11:22 am
[OP]
Mar 14, 2009
311 posts
11706 upvotes

[Costco] Costco Liquor (AB only) Kirkland Signature Speyside Scotch Whisky

For those in Canada with "privatized" liquor sales and with Costcos (ie Alberta), new in stock, is the 18 year old Speyside Whisky. I believe it's a Single Malt Sherry Cask finished and is manufactured by Alexander Murray & Co.. Unfortunately, no photos (it's a liquor store of course), and I didn't buy a bottle. 750mL will run you back $44.99. From what I understand, there's lots of value for money in the bottle. Some of the previous Kirkland Signature Scotch were the same as Macallan.

I've heard rumours that Alberta received a shipment of approx. 2000 bottles within the past week. I've heard stores are expecting that this may sell out by the end of the week (bottles are flying off the shelves). If it's anything like the 20 year old Speyside from earlier this year, it won't be back... (ie once they're sold out, they're gone).

(disclaimer - I'm actually not much of a Scotch drinker - I've recently been introduced, but it's not something I'm putting lots of money towards at this point in time).

Any scotch drinkers care to comment on this bottle? I found this video review...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFpCiKGRIYU
Sonicgateway Comics!
Static Charge 2 on iTunes for Free!
Puzzles in Break and Enter on iTunes for Free!
Costco West Pointer Thread
9 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2005
3822 posts
1081 upvotes
High River, AB
Yeppppp

If this is anything like last time, get there while the getting's good.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2011
1741 posts
566 upvotes
Victoria, BC
Bought the 20 year while in Calgary earlier this year, and was REALLY disappointed in it. I'm not a connoisseur compared to many but I didn't like it, nor did a few scotch buddies of mine. To each their own of course.
Dec 28, 2012
16 posts
5 upvotes
Edmonton
I had bought the 20 year old bottle as well. For the price, I couldn't complain. It was sweet and not too harsh, but a little one note. A few drops of water seemed to open it up. If this is anything like the last one, for $45 you can't go wrong.
Feb 11, 2011
190 posts
28 upvotes
Alas, but when it comes to my whiskey, Alberta Premium is good enough for me :)
Nov 24, 2008
850 posts
201 upvotes
Calgary
Just an FYI to you guys, you don't need a Costco membership to shop at the liquor store.
Jan 6, 2010
337 posts
105 upvotes
Richfields wrote:
May 27th, 2013 11:32 pm
Bought the 20 year while in Calgary earlier this year, and was REALLY disappointed in it. I'm not a connoisseur compared to many but I didn't like it, nor did a few scotch buddies of mine. To each their own of course.
I bought a bottle earlier this year too. Although my crew aren't exactly connoisseurs either, we all liked it. Twenty year old scotch for ~$50 is a smoking good deal. It is pretty solid. Not as light as Auchentoshan nor smoky as Lagavulin. More like a Glenlivit/Glennfiddich. Solid scotch for a better than solid price. Kirkland wines seem pretty popular too. They sell out FAST (just like this scotch did). BTW, we drink ours neat. I can not comment on how it is on rocks, water, or soda (for you blasphemers!) ;) .
Smart to support: Openmedia.ca
*No Canadians were harmed in the creation or posting of this message... unless you count the hangnail I just pulled, in which case a Canadian has definitely just been hurt.*
× < >