Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Nov 23, 2005
8097 posts
3839 upvotes
ssainani wrote:
Jul 13th, 2012 9:03 am
i actually dont mind the lcbo - it's a nice clean place to shop and really the prices are not that bad unless you're comparing to the states.

the sociopaths on this site always seem to forget we're not in the states. the lcbo is still cheaper than most countries in the world.

i know posting my thoughts here are fruitless though.

i do wish they were open 24/7 though and had better sales and prices. but i prefer them to most american liquor stores which are super ghetto.
Do you like paying 100%+ more just for having a "fancy store" to shop in?
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2004
2929 posts
205 upvotes
Ottawa
Anyone know if this is available in Quebec?
Hello
Mar 4, 2006
490 posts
34 upvotes
ssainani wrote:
i actually dont mind the lcbo - it's a nice clean place to shop and really the prices are not that bad unless you're comparing to the states.

the sociopaths on this site always seem to forget we're not in the states. the lcbo is still cheaper than most countries in the world.

i do wish they were open 24/7 though and had better sales and prices. but i prefer them to most american liquor stores which are super ghetto.
LCBO employee?? I agree the stores are nice but the prices are insane. Around 12-13 bucks for a 6 pack of a decent beer? It's robbery.

Government should just have bids for contracts and allow the grocery chains to sell the stuff. Get rid of the LCBO employees and pass the savings on. The Ontario government would still making a killing on tax and liquor contracts. Sigh, one can dream...
Mar 29, 2007
525 posts
74 upvotes
-
ssainani wrote:

lockec wrote:
Jul 13th, 2012 11:45 am
LCBO employee?? I agree the stores are nice but the prices are insane. Around 12-13 bucks for a 6 pack of a decent beer? It's robbery.

Government should just have bids for contracts and allow the grocery chains to sell the stuff. Get rid of the LCBO employees and pass the savings on. The Ontario government would still making a killing on tax and liquor contracts. Sigh, one can dream...
Yeah this guy has to be an LCBO store employee. They may be nice and clean, but I never get poorer service than I do when I'm at the LCBO. I guess that happens when you have a monopoly, you don't have to treat the customer well.
The selection is abysmal, and pricing through the roof.

And what countries are you traveling to, that is priced more expensive than the Lickbo? I've never payed more for Beer, Wine and Spirits as I do at the LCBO, and I'm talking the developed world here.
Jan 31, 2010
116 posts
8 upvotes
Burnaby
My jaw hit the floor when I saw the prices of liquor at Costco in Washington State. Makes me realize how hard we take it in the @ss here in BC too.
Deal Addict
May 19, 2004
1647 posts
169 upvotes
Edmonton
yes kirkland (pc) does sell beer. the honey lager is the best. light is not bad either. $1/beer in alberta.
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2002
3381 posts
1266 upvotes
Vancouver
g_spyder91 wrote:
Jul 13th, 2012 1:42 pm
My jaw hit the floor when I saw the prices of liquor at Costco in Washington State. Makes me realize how hard we take it in the @ss here in BC too.
WA State Costco is expensive! :)

1.75l of Kirkland Signature Vodka is $41 after tax in WA. In CA or NV it's ~$24-28 total!

Ron.
May 17, 2007
387 posts
12 upvotes
Tomatolita wrote:
Jul 13th, 2012 12:09 pm
Yeah this guy has to be an LCBO store employee. They may be nice and clean, but I never get poorer service than I do when I'm at the LCBO. I guess that happens when you have a monopoly, you don't have to treat the customer well.

And what countries are you traveling to, that is priced more expensive than the Lickbo? I've never payed more for Beer, Wine and Spirits as I do at the LCBO, and I'm talking the developed world here.
Not everyone who 'doesn't mind' the LCBO is an employee there. I like the LCBO too.

Selection, I think, is pretty good. Service, I never use anyways (always know beforehand what I'm getting/looking for), and is questionable no matter which store you go to.

That being said, the selection, could be improved further. And of course, prices should reflect the deals the LCBO gets when they order stuff. But we should be using the size of the LCBO as a positive, to bring us better deals, rather than trying to get rid of the whole thing.
Deal Expert
Oct 9, 2003
17052 posts
428 upvotes
How are the Whiskey prices at the Costco liqour stores? Im just about out at my place and would love to grab a nice bottle or 2.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 24, 2005
5223 posts
861 upvotes
Tomatolita wrote:
Jul 13th, 2012 12:09 pm

Far from an LCBO employee.

I dont mind paying a little extra for a nice store to shop in....and I think the stores I shop at are pretty nice and have a great selection.

I am pretty sure if the LCBO was not a monopoly the same areas that have LCBO's with a small selection would have private stores with guess what ... the same small
selection.

And yes - in pretty much every country in the world liquor is more expensive. Maybe not if you're buying two buck chuck wines which I know are not available here - but if you compare a standard item (a bottle of absolute or JW Black) the LCBO price is in the median area.

The only people I feel for are bars who charge similar prices for drinks as the States but pay 2x for the ingredients.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 11, 2004
2994 posts
940 upvotes
Airdrie
Super strokey wrote:
Jul 13th, 2012 1:56 pm
How are the Whiskey prices at the Costco liqour stores? Im just about out at my place and would love to grab a nice bottle or 2.

Prices about the same as Superstore, but less selection. Bit of Scotch, bit of Canadian, no bourbon to speak of.
"Success is the happy feeling you get between the time you do something and the time you tell a woman what you did." -Dilbert
RFD Staff
Jan 6, 2008
2598 posts
3779 upvotes
Toronto
ssainani wrote:
The prices at the LCBO are also not bad compared to opening your wallet and just throwing all of your money away.

I truly love Canada but for the most part, man, the liquor prices here are just not reasonable. I would love to taste the Kirkland Tequila -- what provinces are allowed to sell liquor at Costco, or is it just available in the states?
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 11, 2004
2994 posts
940 upvotes
Airdrie
Kate M wrote:
Jul 13th, 2012 2:43 pm
I would love to taste the Kirkland Tequila -- what provinces are allowed to sell liquor at Costco?

AFIK, only Alberta.
"Success is the happy feeling you get between the time you do something and the time you tell a woman what you did." -Dilbert