Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Costco

Logitech Harmony 700 Clearance - $49.97

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 11th, 2014 10:21 pm
Tags:
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
22529 posts
8939 upvotes
Toronto
I despise using smartphones for remotes. Major PITA.
Apr 18, 2008
918 posts
295 upvotes
Mississauga
jumperson22 wrote: I bought it when it was $59.97...can I go in with my receipt and get a price adjustment? Do they need to have it in the location or can they look it up to see the price across all Costco's?
I think you can price adjust within 30 days and it has to be in-stock at the current location.
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2011
1942 posts
3072 upvotes
VANCOUVER
EugW wrote: I despise using smartphones for remotes. Major PITA.
Have you tried the Smart IR app? https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... emotefairy

It is a beautifully designed remote control app that has some amazing functionality (air gestures, mute/pause on call, programmable macros, automation and more). It has a massive database of over 700000 devices but if you can't find a device you can just point the original remote and it will record the keypresses!

Only thing is you need a Android phone with an IR blaster (HTC One, Galaxy S4/5).
Bordak wrote: Because my parents won't use a smart phone to control their TV and cable box, change inputs, or anything else. Because my daughter is old enough to use a remote, but too young to trust with my or my wifes smartphone, and she certainly isn't getting one of her own. Because many people prefer tactile buttons they can control my feel, without having to stop and look down at their phone to control. Should I continue?
...but yeah I agree with Bordak. Smart phone remotes aren't for everyone.
Deal Addict
Oct 10, 2007
1516 posts
309 upvotes
Toronto
Saturate wrote: I think you can price adjust within 30 days and it has to be in-stock at the current location.
Thanks for the info!
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2005
13460 posts
12205 upvotes
Bordak wrote: The Ouya does not have an infra-red receiver, so the majority of universal remotes will not work, unfortunately.
I have an USB IR receiver for my Ouya.
Have too many phones... This is how I limit my monthly phone payment.
Public Mobile $34 15GB, $11 250MB, 2x $5 50min/50text, $0 FPL home phone,
Fido $5 4GB plan with a free tablet.
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2003
2617 posts
3359 upvotes
Fredericton
embguy wrote: I have an USB IR receiver for my Ouya.
Then it should not be an issue.
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2010
2301 posts
1422 upvotes
Montreal
mtlmonk wrote: Sadly I do...overwhelmed with all the different streaming options out there...
Me too...pretty rarely need to connect my laptop to TV, but when I do, HDMI cable is already hooked up to home theatre receiver and ready to go, place laptop on TV stand, click the hdmi cable into laptop, bluetooth mouse, done.

I don't think there's anything sad about it lol I guess if I used it more often I'd look into streaming over network but in my experience streaming wirelessly is always a bit finicky, occasional annoying issues arise, while my way works 100% of the time ;)

Regarding the Harmony remote, the 650/700 is the best value out of Harmony's line of universal remotes IMO, I've had the 650 (=700 pretty much) for years and it's awesome, I actually just picked up another 650 recently from a shop.ca deal for $40 taxes in, also picked up the smart control from shop.ca but haven't gotten around to checking it out yet..
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2004
1417 posts
902 upvotes
Montreal
Has anyone seen this in stock at any Costco in the Montreal/South shore area?
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2001
3378 posts
214 upvotes
Kingston
420tank wrote: I used to work for this company many years back. Horrible product and horrible corp. And why would anyone need a crap remote when people have smartphones that do everything? Seems like you guys are supporting dead technology, do you guys also plug your hdmi cord from laptop to tv to watch movies too? Stupid.
Let me guess .... you got fired due to "attitude issues"!

If you think a smart phone is a substitute for a traditional remote control, than you belong to small minority. One of the best things about a remote with buttons is that you can control your tv/satellite without ever looking at the remote. The last thing I care to do is look down at a touch screen every time I want to do a basic function like turn a channel.

Harmony has done one very important thing and that is simply the setup of universal remotes and multiple step macros by giving users access the huge database of devices and the web setup of the devices/activities. If you ever have to replace your remote, its extremely simple to move all the programming over to the new remote, again with the the web interface.

Now, all that being said, I do have to concur with the quality of the remotes being less than their useful life. By that I mean, the remote buttons seem to always wear out before I ever have a need to retire a remote. I've had some models last longer than others, but overall, given the price of them, I expect more life than they've given me. Even with this major drawback, I find I continually replace my Harmony remote with another one. I just never buy them at full price. I've got deals through Dell in the past and this price is within the range I am willing to pay for a remote with a 2 - 3 year life.
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2013
1021 posts
221 upvotes
Niagara/Mississauga/…
I looked through your post but didn't find the link to the obvious product that streams uncompressed 1920x1080 @ 60 Hz with no dropped frames, 5.1 channel uncompressed sound, and is compatible with every laptop on the market.

Weird, right? Guess I should use my smartphone, maybe the link will show up on that magical device.
420tank wrote: I used to work for this company many years back. Horrible product and horrible corp. And why would anyone need a crap remote when people have smartphones that do everything? Seems like you guys are supporting dead technology, do you guys also plug your hdmi cord from laptop to tv to watch movies too? Stupid.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 20, 2006
7575 posts
396 upvotes
Canada
Thanks, picked up the last one at the Merivale Costco location, it was laying around randomly on top of some keyboards.
He died for me, I live for him
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
22529 posts
8939 upvotes
Toronto
goozy1 wrote: Have you tried the Smart IR app? https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... emotefairy

It is a beautifully designed remote control app that has some amazing functionality (air gestures, mute/pause on call, programmable macros, automation and more). It has a massive database of over 700000 devices but if you can't find a device you can just point the original remote and it will record the keypresses!

Only thing is you need a Android phone with an IR blaster (HTC One, Galaxy S4/5).
No physical buttons = pointless.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2006
6307 posts
3200 upvotes
Cornwall PE
Thanks for the very humorous post. :facepalm:
Dun with posting deals.
My STORAGE SHED!
Linux User 412309
Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2004
9135 posts
7096 upvotes
West GTEH!
On the way home from Niagara Falls yesterday, stopped in at the St. Catharines Costco.
They had @12 of these left for $39.88.
Picked up 1 to try it out.
😎
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2011
2526 posts
3056 upvotes
Toronto
I use WDTV Live to stream movies to my projector from my computer - however it's not nearly as reliable as an HDMI connection as it can be affected by network congestion and slowdowns.

I could use my smartphone to control my *****ty TV, I'm sure, but what a pain in the ***** that would be.

My dad and mom however would have no idea what to do with a smartphone when I tell them to control their TV with it. They are used to controllers, and I ***** you not my dad has 4 controllers he uses every single time he turns on the TV. I'd love to get him one of these, but hell I'm not sure if it would make his life easier or more difficult.
2013 Wins - $1320 - Woohoo!
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2005
1293 posts
63 upvotes
Any way to work around the 6 device limit? My ancient Harmony 550 supports 15.
May 15, 2003
509 posts
76 upvotes
Richmond
klown wrote: Has anyone seen this in stock at any Costco in the Montreal/South shore area?
I'm looking for one here too. None at Saint-Hubert.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2693 upvotes
Vancouver
monomono wrote: Any way to work around the 6 device limit? My ancient Harmony 550 supports 15.
I've never tried it, but apparently if you update your online account to change the device to a newer one that supports fewer devices, your old number of devices is grandfathered in. It's an artificial restriction in the firmware to establish price-vs.-feature levels, not any actual restriction in the hardware.
Deal Expert
Oct 19, 2003
20241 posts
8367 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …
Harmony is an essential component of any but the most basic media setups. End of story. I don't care if it has a small LCD or a big LCD, or it has touch or not, or no display at all I would not want to use any other kind of remotes.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)