Costco lost my prescription

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 22nd, 2019 5:26 am
Feb 13, 2008
977 posts
765 upvotes
Edmonton, AB

Costco lost my prescription

On December 15th, 2018, I dropped off my prescription around 10:30 am at Costco pharmacy. There were two staff members working at the drop off counter. I told them I will return in a few days to pick up my medication. When I returned on December 21st to pick up my medications I was told there was no record of my prescription. A search was conducted for my prescription but it was not found. This is not good. This is the first time I have experienced this. I recently switched to Costco pharmacy from Shoppers Drug Mart because of lower dispensing fees. I am not happy about this. I spoke to other Costco shoppers and they also had their prescription lost at Costco pharmacies in the past. I sent an email to Costco management asking them to investigate. Costco emailed me back promising a manager will call me. As of this posting no one from Costco contacted me.

I switched back to Shoppers Drug Mart pharmacy and one of my prescription was rejected by Blue Cross. The shoppers pharmacist informed me my medication was just refilled. I contacted Blue Cross and they told me Costco billed them for three medications on January 25, 2019. This is just ridiculous. I contacted Costco again by email and ask them to investigate. They replied saying a supervisor will contact me. I will wait and see. This is causing me stress.
37 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2011
4103 posts
269 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
cocotheparrot wrote: On December 15th, 2018, I dropped off my prescription around 10:30 am at Costco pharmacy. There were two staff members working at the drop off counter. I told them I will return in a few days to pick up my medication. When I returned on December 21st to pick up my medications I was told there was no record of my prescription. A search was conducted for my prescription but it was not found. This is not good. This is the first time I have experienced this. I recently switched to Costco pharmacy from Shoppers Drug Mart because of lower dispensing fees. I am not happy about this. I spoke to other Costco shoppers and they also had their prescription lost at Costco pharmacies in the past. I sent an email to Costco management asking them to investigate. Costco emailed me back promising a manager will call me. As of this posting no one from Costco contacted me.

I switched back to Shoppers Drug Mart pharmacy and one of my prescription was rejected by Blue Cross. The shoppers pharmacist informed me my medication was just refilled. I contacted Blue Cross and they told me Costco billed them for three medications on January 25, 2019. This is just ridiculous. I contacted Costco again by email and ask them to investigate. They replied saying a supervisor will contact me. I will wait and see. This is causing me stress.
why return a few days later? they probably thought that you weren't coming back and disposed it.
Traveling 😁
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7750 posts
1635 upvotes
Unfortunately I had lot of experience of missing prescriptions at pharmacy too and now I stand there to wait for them to input in and make sure they have the correct name before I leave even when I’m just asking them to put on file.

Family used to works in a few low fee pharmacies too and if you think the missing prescription is bad, wait until you hear how many times the mis-dispensed... giving out the wrong meds or dosage to the wrong person. Reason I don’t go to a low fee dispensary anymore since they are usually understaffed and over busy.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2005
1436 posts
464 upvotes
So, while they are working with other customers you slap a piece of paper on the table and leave. Great idea, lol. Your carelessness did this.
Sep 27, 2003
11122 posts
3367 upvotes
Newmarket
broc wrote: So, while they are working with other customers you slap a piece of paper on the table and leave. Great idea, lol. Your carelessness did this.
What makes you believe this is what transpired?
RFD Forums Moderator
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
9295 posts
3156 upvotes
Mississauga
Can you not ask them to refill it? You have your blue Cross evidence and a copy of the prescription . Why wait for a supervisor to call? Why not go into the pharmacy and get it resolved immediately?
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2011
7205 posts
9238 upvotes
The NORTH
hdom wrote: Unfortunately I had lot of experience of missing prescriptions at pharmacy too and now I stand there to wait for them to input in and make sure they have the correct name before I leave even when I’m just asking them to put on file.

Family used to works in a few low fee pharmacies too and if you think the missing prescription is bad, wait until you hear how many times the mis-dispensed... giving out the wrong meds or dosage to the wrong person. Reason I don’t go to a low fee dispensary anymore since they are usually understaffed and over busy.
Quite the broad brush you are swinging there...
Dec 6, 2010
249 posts
123 upvotes
Toronto
people need to start taking blame for their own actions... Do you still have the yellow receipt slip that they gave you when u dropped off the prescription? And are you sure u went back on 21 and not on 22? Costco only holds onto the meds for a week. Mistakes can happen anywhere so enjoy higher prices elsewhere.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2001
1609 posts
324 upvotes
Mississauga
Not sure how this can happen as they scan the prescription into the system before you leave the window and give you the yellow slip.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
7849 posts
8797 upvotes
hdom wrote: Unfortunately I had lot of experience of missing prescriptions at pharmacy too and now I stand there to wait for them to input in and make sure they have the correct name before I leave even when I’m just asking them to put on file.

High fee pharmacies are just as bad or even worse. I would know.
Feb 13, 2008
977 posts
765 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
I always refill at least two weeks before my meds run out.
I am assuming Costco finally found my prescription and refilled it on January 25, 2019. That's more than a month after they told me they did not have it.
This was only the third time I had my prescription filled at Costco and they always tell me to return in a few days.

Thanks for your feedback.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 19, 2009
6197 posts
4451 upvotes
Shoppers Drug Mart shill?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
9295 posts
3156 upvotes
Mississauga
Why are some people so incapable?
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2013
1218 posts
601 upvotes
North of Toronto
cocotheparrot wrote: I always refill at least two weeks before my meds run out.
I am assuming Costco finally found my prescription and refilled it on January 25, 2019. That's more than a month after they told me they did not have it.
This was only the third time I had my prescription filled at Costco and they always tell me to return in a few days.

Thanks for your feedback.
A few days? Not sure how things are run in Alberta but in Ontario I think I once waited an hour on a busy Saturday. Most of the time its much less because I usually go right when they open to avoid any lines.
Feb 8, 2014
997 posts
535 upvotes
YVR
GhostBusters wrote: A few days? Not sure how things are run in Alberta but in Ontario I think I once waited an hour on a busy Saturday. Most of the time its much less because I usually go right when they open to avoid any lines.
In our local Costco the wait is at least 6 hours. We now fax our prescription in, and go in the next day. You provide the original prescription when you go in to pick up. Works like a charm.
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2013
1218 posts
601 upvotes
North of Toronto
prmetime wrote: In our local Costco the wait is at least 6 hours. We now fax our prescription in, and go in the next day. You provide the original prescription when you go in to pick up. Works like a charm.
I definitely can see the wait being long (as it is Costco), I must have been lucky I guess.

I once had to go to Superstore for a prescription as Costco was closed. They told me 3 days because they didn't have any basic antibiotics. :facepalm: I ended up at $hopper$.
Nov 12, 2012
599 posts
288 upvotes
Port Moody
You get what you pay for. Costco is a gong show at the best of times. Time is money. A 6 hour wait is bonkers!

That being said, I've had to try a few different Shoppers before I found one without incompetent staff (yes, there's been lost prescriptions that were faxed in) and hideous wait times. But my local 24/7 Shoppers is AMAZING! There's usually no wait to drop off or puck up refills, and i usually wait about 20-30 minutes to pick up when filling in the store (and they give you a buzzer).
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
4920 posts
3840 upvotes
Edmonton
cocotheparrot wrote: On December 15th, 2018, I dropped off my prescription around 10:30 am at Costco pharmacy. There were two staff members working at the drop off counter. I told them I will return in a few days to pick up my medication. When I returned on December 21st to pick up my medications I was told there was no record of my prescription. A search was conducted for my prescription but it was not found. This is not good. This is the first time I have experienced this. I recently switched to Costco pharmacy from Shoppers Drug Mart because of lower dispensing fees. I am not happy about this. I spoke to other Costco shoppers and they also had their prescription lost at Costco pharmacies in the past. I sent an email to Costco management asking them to investigate. Costco emailed me back promising a manager will call me. As of this posting no one from Costco contacted me.

Which Edmonton location is this?
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
4920 posts
3840 upvotes
Edmonton

People go to Costco because many health plans cap the dispensing fee. The dispensing fee varies greatly among pharmacies. People are avoiding paying out-of-pocket.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
4920 posts
3840 upvotes
Edmonton
doonboy wrote: Not sure how this can happen as they scan the prescription into the system before you leave the window and give you the yellow slip.
This "yellow slip" is hiit and miss. They rarely give me a slip.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)