Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Jan 30, 2006
6831 posts
278 upvotes
Vancouver

Costco membership

Looking for a good deal for a membership card? I don't go there very much thus why I prefer to get a cheaper price. I could use my friends but then its an inconvenience thing.

If anyone knows of a discount that would be super.
31 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
8006 posts
1186 upvotes
London
trellaine201 wrote:
Oct 7th, 2010 6:14 pm
Looking for a good deal for a membership card? I don't go there very much thus why I prefer to get a cheaper price. I could use my friends but then its an inconvenience thing.

If anyone knows of a discount that would be super.

If you don't go there much, get your friends to buy you gift cards.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 30, 2006
6831 posts
278 upvotes
Vancouver
Ottomaddox wrote:
Oct 8th, 2010 12:19 am
If you don't go there much, get your friends to buy you gift cards.

Awww so I just walk in and show them gift cards? Isn't there a surcharge though when I use these and I am not a member?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2010
5833 posts
503 upvotes
London
trellaine201 wrote:
Oct 8th, 2010 12:22 am
Awww so I just walk in and show them gift cards? Isn't there a surcharge though when I use these and I am not a member?
No. Only a surcharge if you buy on costco.ca and are not a member.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
43214 posts
3038 upvotes
Toronto
I don't know If this applies for every location but my mom tried using my auntie's Costco membership and said that the photo wasn't the same as the person using It.

We said that It was our family members and blah blah blah but they still refused.

So.. Bring your friend If your going to use his card, Haha.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2010
5833 posts
503 upvotes
London
Jimboski wrote:
Oct 8th, 2010 1:49 am
I don't know If this applies for everyone but my mom tried using my auntie's Costco membership and said that the photo wasn't the same as the person using It.

We said that It was our family members and blah blah blah but they still refused.

So.. Bring your friend If your going to use his card, Haha.

That is correct. You NEED to use your own card, or your friend has to do the transaction. They are usually pretty clear and strict most places about that (for good reason). They used to not really care that much, ages ago though, at least around here..
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 30, 2006
6831 posts
278 upvotes
Vancouver
My friend can buy a $25 gift card, give it to me, I can in turn shop there? What if I buy $100 worth of merchandise?
Dec 18, 2008
948 posts
22 upvotes
my friend as a friend who works at costco in Korea - so his friend was able to give him a membership that is a lifetime membership - or expires when his friend quits working at costco - which isn't going to happen... he moved here from Korea and can still use the costco card here...

he got it free - do they do that in Canada?
Dec 18, 2008
948 posts
22 upvotes
redgrandam wrote:
Oct 8th, 2010 1:50 am
That is correct. You NEED to use your own card, or your friend has to do the transaction. They are usually pretty clear and strict most places about that (for good reason). They used to not really care that much, ages ago though, at least around here..

you also cannot split the payment up at the till - the card holder has to pay for it all - so you have to make arrangements with your card holding friend how to pay for stuff you buy with them
Deal Fanatic
Jul 12, 2003
6050 posts
159 upvotes
Markham
Last time, my bro was using my dad's card, no question asked until he paid with his credit card and the name is not the same as the Costco card, then they deny to sell the stuff to him.
Next time, should pay cash, lol
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2010
5833 posts
503 upvotes
London
Spongeg wrote:
Oct 8th, 2010 1:57 am
you also cannot split the payment up at the till - the card holder has to pay for it all - so you have to make arrangements with your card holding friend how to pay for stuff you buy with them

Don't they still let you split the bill as long as one is cash? I heard that at one point. They do at least do sub totals.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2010
5833 posts
503 upvotes
London
MP3_SKY wrote:
Oct 8th, 2010 2:05 am
Last time, my bro was using my dad's card, no question asked until he paid with his credit card and the name is not the same as the Costco card, then they deny to sell the stuff to him.
Next time, should pay cash, lol

Or use self checkout, if so equipped.
Dec 18, 2008
948 posts
22 upvotes
redgrandam wrote:
Oct 8th, 2010 2:07 am
Don't they still let you split the bill as long as one is cash? I heard that at one point. They do at least do sub totals.
well with cash you just give it to your friend and sort it out yourself - i've never tried or asked them to do that

I was inline waiting and the two woman in front of me - mother and daughter - the daughter had the membership she wanted to pay for her stuff on her membership with her bank card and than use her membership to buy her moms stuff and the mom would use her bank card and they said no they couldn't do it - so the daughter paid for it all - its kinda dumb when you think about it cause they know its for someone who doesn't have a membership
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
8006 posts
1186 upvotes
London
trellaine201 wrote:
Oct 8th, 2010 1:53 am
My friend can buy a $25 gift card, give it to me, I can in turn shop there? What if I buy $100 worth of merchandise?
They knock off the value of the GC, and the rest is due on one of their accepted methods of payment. Amex, debit or cash.

Just FYI, if there are coupons handed out at the door, you won't be able to use them. (they are member only), but lately most of the discounts seem to be instant rebates, that still apply.

If you planning on buying anything big, where you would want the 2yr concierge warranty, you'll need a membership.
× < >