Costco membership due before Nov. 1? Renew before June 1st - Avoid Increase

• Last Updated:
  • May 31st, 2017 8:52 pm
Jun 9, 2009
812 posts
399 upvotes
KangFu wrote:
May 19th, 2017 10:54 am
pro tip: walking into the exit towards the food area they rarely check membership. If they do just say you're renewing at the desk and head for the food court where they do not validate membership on food purchases.
I have a local Costco is beside a movie theatre and the cheap food court is pretty awesome before a movie. I am a Costco member but I alternate years when to keep it active A massive final stockpile of stuff can easily last 6-12 months before needing to renew.
Pictures of your room full of toilet paper please
[OP]
Jul 8, 2011
879 posts
354 upvotes
WESTMOUNT
Swerny wrote:
May 19th, 2017 3:15 pm
maybe put "COSTCO" in the thread title OP
Hmmm, in the Hot Deal section the name Costco preceded the title. In any case, I put it here.

Thanks!
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2013
3808 posts
728 upvotes
Halifax
herrdude wrote:
May 19th, 2017 10:24 am
Time taken to post you won't renew = time to renew.

Just sayin'
Only if you are already in line to purchase items. Otherwise, renewing does not take the 4 seconds to type this.
Mar 15, 2010
64 posts
11 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks. Mine expires October. I could renew at the store with current price without losing any months. They only allow 1 year renew.
Dec 7, 2011
53 posts
21 upvotes
BEAVERTON
Renewal notice for July arrived by mail today stating $60 to renew.
Went online and renewed it at $55.
Thanks OP.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7143 posts
401 upvotes
I have the exec membership but will be looking at downgrading to basic on the weekend. I don't buy much anymore, other than gas as most other non-grocery items can sometimes be found cheaper on Amazon, etc., if you really look. Grocery items too if you buy when on sale and in quantity elsewhere. What you're really paying for at Costco is the return policy and not much else.

It's not surprising that since they're doing so well in Canada that they would be increasing their membership fees, yet in the States where the sales are flat they've basically stayed the same. I wonder if it would be cheaper to buy and renew your membership in the US as opposed to having a Canadian one?

I miss Sam's Club and wish they would've remained. At least there would be more competition and far better pricing. If it weren't for the gas I think I would've cancelled my membership altogether.
[OP]
Jul 8, 2011
879 posts
354 upvotes
WESTMOUNT
Frankie3s wrote:
May 23rd, 2017 10:30 pm
...It's not surprising that since they're doing so well in Canada that they would be increasing their membership fees, yet in the States where the sales are flat they've basically stayed the same. I wonder if it would be cheaper to buy and renew your membership in the US as opposed to having a Canadian one?
The price is the same but in US dollars ($60US for Gold Star and $120US for Executive). The best deal, if you want to continue with Costco, is to renew now in Canada before the price increases.

https://customerservice.costco.com/app/ ... /a_id/7145
Aug 24, 2006
188 posts
72 upvotes
Toronto
Some confirmations:
- the price was still $55/$110 (CAD) as of Monday, May 29; one of the staff confirmed it will be going up shortly.
- my membership expires in September (4 months from now) AND I was not able to renew online BUT I was able to renew in store (this fits the 3 month online and 5 month in store pattern described by an earlier post)
- the lady at the membership desk didn't think she could do it, but she tried and it went through

I guess today is the last day if they're increasing as of June 1. If they tell you you can't renew, nicely ask them to try. Several people politely told me that they don't think it's possible, but it was never a hard "no". A staff member also confirmed that the price increase is public knowledge but they're not advertising it and another said that a lot of people are renewing early.
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2015
1218 posts
703 upvotes
Laval, QC
$5 to $10 bucks increase for member fee isn't too bad, at least hot dogs are at same price for years