Tags:
None
Nov 2, 2012
241 posts
70 upvotes
TORONTO

Costco membership from other country

Hi all,

I am thinking of getting a costco membership recently. Since my family in Asia already have costco membership, I don't know if it is possible to sign up as a co-owner of the membership there and then use it in Canada? Any one has experiences on this before? Thanks.
7 replies
Sep 10, 2010
229 posts
16 upvotes
Cumberland Beach, ON
edcrfvtgb wrote: Hi all,

I am thinking of getting a costco membership recently. Since my family in Asia already have costco membership, I don't know if it is possible to sign up as a co-owner of the membership there and then use it in Canada? Any one has experiences on this before? Thanks.
:lol: saving $$$ RFD style.. I am pretty sure you cannot use "THEIR" membership in Canada.
Deal Guru
Nov 6, 2010
10018 posts
1967 upvotes
Montreal, QC
As long as the card is under your name (because the member has to be the one who pays) you can use it yes.
Deal Addict
Jun 9, 2006
1605 posts
95 upvotes
Thornhill
uber_shnitz wrote: As long as the card is under your name (because the member has to be the one who pays) you can use it yes.
+1

It's no different from us using our Costco memberships in the states and in Asia. Just can't pay with your Costco Amex in Asia (Taiwan at least).

My relatives in the States and in Taiwan also use their Costco cards here in Canada without issue.
Deal Addict
Dec 2, 2002
1737 posts
565 upvotes
Nothing to add here but, if your a Canadian member and renew stateside you save yourself the hst.
May 28, 2012
12484 posts
5278 upvotes
Saskatoon
So are you going to go to Asia to get this Costco card? Wouldn't it be a lot less trouble just to get your own here? Don't you have to have the same address as the co-applicant?
Jun 29, 2009
147 posts
11 upvotes
I'm currently using my Canadian Costco card here in Japan. Only had an issue the first 2 times, had to have a supervisor override something. Second time they had me fill out a small card with my name and address and I haven't had a problem using it since. As far as I know, the cards are valid worldwide at any cost.
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2007
3036 posts
219 upvotes
Surrey
edcrfvtgb wrote: Hi all,

Yes, you can use foreign Costco memberships in Canada or other countries. No, you can't use memberships belonging to other people.
Alan lost his fight against cancer at just 5 years, 2 months old. I'm riding to Conquer Cancer, in memory of Alan.
Please donate toward my fundraising efforts and support research into childhood cancers.
Simply scan my avatar to go straight to the donation page!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)