• Jan 3rd, 2012 3:12 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2003
3150 posts
42 upvotes

Costco Membership Spouse Card Question

So according to Costco "A spouse card is available to any cardholder’s spouse or any immediate family member over the age of 18 and living at the same address."

Does anyone know if they need proof of the fact that they share the same address? Ex. Drivers license? I want to split a membership with my sister but she doesn't live at the same address.
20 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2008
7554 posts
149 upvotes
shouldn't be an issue. she say she doesn't have id on her since you drove
a couple of my friends did that...and they aren't even related....LOL
YMMV i guess...worst case....get her to forward something to your address for one billing cycle...
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2006
1343 posts
147 upvotes
Toronto
My girlfriend and I share a Costco membership. We don't even live in the same city!

The Costco person never asked for any ID from either of us.

I guess YMMV.
Help keep the Canadian economy strong. Don't buy overpriced new cars in Canada. Car stealerships in Canada don't value your business & conspire to keep prices artificially high. Before you buy a new car in Canada, do yourself a favour, compare US pricing first! Some RFDers saved TENS of THOUSANDS shopping for vehicles down south. Find out how I saved over $18,000 by importing my vehicle from the US at my personal website: www.monsieurmaggot.com and be sure to read my other rants there too!
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2006
4068 posts
124 upvotes
as others have posted, it's possible

but is it the right thing to do/legal? you're effectively violating the membership conditions and regulations that you signed to abide by when becoming a member.

will they take you to court for it? probably not... but who knows =P

rilhouse wrote:
Jun 10th, 2010 2:28 pm
So according to Costco "A spouse card is available to any cardholder’s spouse or any immediate family member over the age of 18 and living at the same address."

Does anyone know if they need proof of the fact that they share the same address? Ex. Drivers license? I want to split a membership with my sister but she doesn't live at the same address.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2004
1090 posts
12 upvotes
Monsieurmaggot wrote:
Jun 10th, 2010 2:34 pm
My girlfriend and I share a Costco membership. We don't even live in the same city!

The Costco person never asked for any ID from either of us.

I guess YMMV.

Yeah...and I use my dad as my spouse. Same last name but different address so only used my own address. He wasn't with me when he got his card afterwards. Don't know why they have these stupid rules anyway.
Oct 31, 2008
234 posts
8 upvotes
CorSter wrote:
Jun 10th, 2010 5:47 pm
lol they don't care
ditto my friend and I gave our ids (clearly different address) and when she saw she just ignored the second address and used mine again! Fortunately for us, Costco is putting so much pressure on these guys for new memberships that they'll do whatever just to get more members.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
10455 posts
1956 upvotes
ipxxx wrote:
Jun 10th, 2010 2:39 pm
as others have posted, it's possible

but is it the right thing to do/legal? you're effectively violating the membership conditions and regulations that you signed to abide by when becoming a member.
I think Costco is doing the wrong thing by forcing people to purchase a Spouse card when they don't have a spouse or anyone else living at their address. This card is not free. When I first joined, there was an additional cost for the the spouse card. If you didn't want it, you weren't forced to get it. Then they added it into the basic membership price. Since you had no choice, they let you have anyone as your secondary member. After several years, they changed it again saying that it had to be someone living at the same address and called it a Spouse card again. They also claimed it was free but it was not as the price was rolled in the membership fee. I ticks me off that Costco discriminates against single people this way but it is par for the course, everyone does it. The government is the worst offender.

I don't buy enough at Costco for to justify paying for a full membership myself so I share mine with my father. I used to split it with my sister who lives in another province and has a different last name. No one has ever said anything and if they did, I would just cancel and ask for a full refund under their satisfaction guarantee.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
5368 posts
350 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
You can pretty much tell them straight up that you are not a spouse and doesn't live in the same address and they wouldn't care. At least this is the case every time I hear someone trying to do this.
There's a sucker born every minute.
Dec 12, 2007
762 posts
107 upvotes
I had to bring something with the same address to get my membership card that I share with my dad. Good thing I still get mail sent there on occasion. So I guess this is a huge YMMV.
Deal Addict
May 8, 2003
1140 posts
1712 upvotes
Toronto
I think in the OPs case - going in alone to join and putting your sister down as the second member works best. She goes in another day to pick up her card. That way they don't have the id's side by side. I think they may even issue a temp card for her without a photo.

In the GTA, I found the Yorkdale location to be the most flexible.
Deal Expert
Jun 11, 2007
15335 posts
1678 upvotes
Burnaby
I remember the costco lady asked for my wife's proof of address such as a mail with her name. I bought a credit card bill mail and she thought it was a flyer type of mail and was going to reject it too.
Prize Won: (2014) Huawei Mini Wireless Bluetooth Speaker
(2013) $1155 Boutique Studios/TaylorMade Golf Commemorative bag/Books/Movie Tickets
(2010-2012) $200 Movie Tickets/Shell Gift Card/DVDs/Mini Basketball.
http://my.cutetaffy.com http://my.cutetaffy.com/
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2007
23266 posts
1434 upvotes
Markham
quick question, can I use my friend's Costco card?
Aug 30, 2008
793 posts
79 upvotes
ON
lol - the Markham location i went to was pretty anal about it...
× < >