Shopping Discussion

Costco memberships, what do you have and what is the difference?

• Last Updated:
  • May 6th, 2015 8:51 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Banned
Jan 14, 2015
1586 posts
84 upvotes

Costco memberships, what do you have and what is the difference?

I'm looking to get my own membership at Costco but their comparison feature doesn't really work. All I know is that the executive has cash back. Any other differences? Any any deals on membership?

http://www.costco.ca/costco-memberships.html
58 replies
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
21589 posts
2337 upvotes
I have a executive and share it with friends and family.

Everyone saves
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
21589 posts
2337 upvotes
spinningpiledriver wrote:
May 2nd, 2015 6:08 pm
But doesn't it have your picture on it?
Family all live fairly close...At least twice a month we meet up there and Costco has no problem splitting the bill
Mar 25, 2005
598 posts
42 upvotes
Bowmanville
Executive - 2% cash back and I can get back the $55 difference in price if the Executive membership cash back doesn't go higher than the $55 base price.

Also, was referred by a friend - we each both got a $10 Costco gift card.
[OP]
Banned
Jan 14, 2015
1586 posts
84 upvotes
tg82 wrote:
May 2nd, 2015 7:31 pm
Executive - 2% cash back and I can get back the $55 difference in price if the Executive membership cash back doesn't go higher than the $55 base price.

Also, was referred by a friend - we each both got a $10 Costco gift card.
Does it automatically do that or do you have to request it?
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
18594 posts
3213 upvotes
GTA West
If you have the executive membership, how do they deliver the 2% cashback? Is it required to have their MasterCard to get it?
What if there were no hypothetical questions?
Banned
May 12, 2004
9759 posts
4094 upvotes
Ottawa
Jucius Maximus wrote:
May 2nd, 2015 11:56 pm
If you have the executive membership, how do they deliver the 2% cashback? Is it required to have their MasterCard to get it?
In store voucher by mail.

No, the MC cashback is a seperate voucher.
Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it.
- Mark Twain
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2005
4187 posts
1456 upvotes
Vulcan, AB
george__ wrote:
May 2nd, 2015 6:09 pm
Family all live fairly close...At least twice a month we meet up there and Costco has no problem splitting the bill
Costco totally doesn't do that. They're incredibly strict about having only the member pay, to prevent membership piggybacking.
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
21589 posts
2337 upvotes
Russell wrote:
May 3rd, 2015 1:35 pm
Costco totally doesn't do that. They're incredibly strict about having only the member pay, to prevent membership piggybacking.
Lol if you say so

edit - We don't go through check out TWICE, the cashier just splits the bill after she swipes all the items between everyone
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2003
15541 posts
971 upvotes
Niagara Falls
george__ wrote:
May 3rd, 2015 1:36 pm
Lol if you say so
It's true. When our daughter wants to buy makeup stuff we have to put her stuff on the line first and ask for a subtotal. They will NOT do a separate transaction or even split transactions on one card at one time.
Thinking seriously about the 4 S's...Sun, Sand, Surf and ... Booked for Sept in Mexico and booked Samana DR for Jan!
May 28, 2012
10186 posts
2344 upvotes
Saskatoon
Russell wrote:
May 3rd, 2015 1:35 pm
Not only that, but the last few times I've been there, the cashier asked to see my MC to verify it was my name on the credit card. I don't know what they would do for cash purchases though...I can't see them splitting up one order to various payment methods, especially when it's clear there are multiple shoppers.
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
21589 posts
2337 upvotes
CSK'sMom wrote:
May 3rd, 2015 1:51 pm
It's true. When our daughter wants to buy makeup stuff we have to put her stuff on the line first and ask for a subtotal. They will NOT do a separate transaction or even split transactions on one card at one time.
Never been denied yet
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2005
4187 posts
1456 upvotes
Vulcan, AB
Subtotal - I can see that. Plenty of people ask for that to divide personal and business expenses, for example.

Separate payments with separate cards? If Costco catches an employee doing that, they are fired know the spot. They are INCREDIBLY anal about this. Anybody who says otherwise is either incredibly lucky or, more likely, a liar.

The person with the name on the card must be the one to pay. That's their policy.
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
21589 posts
2337 upvotes
Russell wrote:
May 3rd, 2015 2:23 pm
Subtotal - I can see that. Plenty of people ask for that to divide personal and business expenses, for example.

Separate payments with separate cards? If Costco catches an employee doing that, they are fired know the spot. They are INCREDIBLY anal about this. Anybody who says otherwise is either incredibly lucky or, more likely, a liar.

The person with the name on the card must be the one to pay. That's their policy.
We put the items in a certain order (to split the order), the cashier rings everything through, splits the bill at the end and we each pay with our own CC or cash.

Some locations maybe more lax than others?