Shopping Discussion

Costco memberships, what do you have and what is the difference?

• Last Updated:
  • May 6th, 2015 8:51 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2004
3807 posts
751 upvotes
Vancouver
executive, it's no briner
Minimum cash back is what you pay to upgrade to excutive, so you cant lose.

I have 2.1 family and i get back some 80 dollars yearly. I buy groceries only. No big electronics.
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2010
1793 posts
1327 upvotes
GTA
george__ wrote:
May 3rd, 2015 2:27 pm
We put the items in a certain order (to split the order), the cashier rings everything through, splits the bill at the end and we each pay with our own CC or cash.

Some locations maybe more lax than others?
They aren't supposed to do that. Someday your location will be made to follow store policy either by HQ or if they get a new manager.
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
21588 posts
2333 upvotes
tew wrote:
May 3rd, 2015 2:38 pm
They aren't supposed to do that. Someday your location will be made to follow store policy either by HQ or if they get a new manager.
I don't feel bad look at their website description
The Executive Gold Star Membership includes a free Spouse card*, and allows you to purchase products for your home and family. Your Executive Gold Star Membership is valid for one year at any Costco Wholesale location worldwide, and on Costco.ca. All memberships must be renewed annually.
http://www.costco.ca/Executive-Gold-Sta ... 82234.html

I'm doing just that, they want to stop the line and argue with me... BRING IT ON!
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2003
4096 posts
105 upvotes
Tahsis
george__ wrote:
We put the items in a certain order (to split the order), the cashier rings everything through, splits the bill at the end and we each pay with our own CC or cash.

That is very lax.

I usually make two purchases but they're both on my CC, it's just to separate my personal and work stuff, and even then sometimes I get a bit of a look.
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
21588 posts
2333 upvotes
rommelrommel wrote:
May 3rd, 2015 2:43 pm
That is very lax.

I usually make two purchases but they're both on my CC, it's just to separate my personal and work stuff, and even then sometimes I get a bit of a look.
Then let them call the manager, I'm using this with family not co-workers or friends
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
18594 posts
3211 upvotes
GTA West
george__ wrote:

Wow, which Costco locations do you visit?

In my case, about 50% of the time they want to examine the name on the credit card and on the membership before they allow me to pay to ensure it matches.

Maybe it's because I only have the basic membership with the super-grainy picture so they don't really know what I look like?
What if there were no hypothetical questions?
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
21588 posts
2333 upvotes
^
So you can NARK!!?

What time of the day are you going?

Maybe it's because I'm going with my parents and siblings so it's OBVIOUS we're family?
Oct 23, 2013
201 posts
69 upvotes
Edmonton
i get enough back each year to cover the cost of the executive. so the membership is free. last year bought winter tires. this year bought a big screen. also shop there weekly for meat fruits/veggies and spend to much money there.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
21617 posts
7522 upvotes
Executive. No brainer.
They pay me $100-150/year to shop there.
Otherwise I'd have to pay them $60.

Now that I have the MC I'm getting another few hundred bucks to shop there.
Russell wrote:
May 3rd, 2015 1:35 pm
Costco totally doesn't do that. They're incredibly strict about having only the member pay, to prevent membership piggybacking.
I've also never had issues with split bills.
I wonder if it's more location specific.
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2003
4096 posts
105 upvotes
Tahsis
george__ wrote:
May 3rd, 2015 2:45 pm
Then let them call the manager, I'm using this with family not co-workers or friends
Family means your household if they're being kind. It doesn't mean your uncles second cousin.
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
21588 posts
2333 upvotes
rommelrommel wrote:
May 3rd, 2015 3:28 pm
Family means your household if they're being kind. It doesn't mean your uncles second cousin.
So Costco going to put my family under a microscope for splitting the bill?

Doubt it.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2007
4190 posts
1231 upvotes
My mom is a Costco member, but I'm not. I simply made her an authorized user on my SmartCash CC so it has her name on the card. So when we go together and it's time to pay I just announce that it has her name and everything's all good even though I'm the one doing the pin and everything.
:arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd:
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
18594 posts
3211 upvotes
GTA West
george__ wrote:
May 3rd, 2015 2:57 pm
^
So you can NARK!!?

What time of the day are you going?

Maybe it's because I'm going with my parents and siblings so it's OBVIOUS we're family?
I usually go to costco on weeknights after work, by myself. I'm generally not brave enough to attempt Costco shopping on the weekend.

Not sure what you mean by "NARK". :confused:
What if there were no hypothetical questions?
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2003
4096 posts
105 upvotes
Tahsis
george__ wrote:
May 3rd, 2015 3:33 pm
So Costco going to put my family under a microscope for splitting the bill?

Doubt it.
I've seen them do it when people in the group want to pay with their own method. They tell you to go buy a membership.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)