Shopping Discussion

Costco memberships, what do you have and what is the difference?

• Last Updated:
  • May 6th, 2015 8:51 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2007
6362 posts
193 upvotes
I have the executive and as others have said, I've been paid a nice cheque for having it. The first year I had it, I got the maximum $500 cheque but now it's around the $200 mark.

I've seen the cashier refuse many people the separate bills as it's against their policy to do it. They don't want to condone non-members shopping there. I have often asked for two bills when I have a high ticket item and I've never been refused. Typically I have been alone at the time. I hate having a receipt for a computer or tv, mixed in with veggies, cereal and all sorts of other little items. I prefer to save the high ticket item receipts that are easy to read and not filled with excess stuff.
May 28, 2012
10175 posts
2337 upvotes
Saskatoon
Costco has such terrific customer service and return policies...it's unfortunate that there are people who go out of their way to scam this company to save a few dollars through membership "abuse". I get most, if not all, my executive membership fees back every year.
Deal Addict
Apr 15, 2011
1478 posts
378 upvotes
a little off topic, but does anyone know if there are any sign up bonuses right now for the Costco Membership??

mine expired about 2 months ago now, and I'm looking to renew for another year!

Thanks in advance RFD =)
Jul 6, 2008
884 posts
208 upvotes
GTA
my mom got written up once at costco.. cause we used her card (I'm her son) so now she has a "documentation" on her account HAHA
Dec 31, 2010
820 posts
215 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Executive, and split it with the family.
I seriously cannot believe more people do not do this...
I would usually pay for things with my card, split the receipts right at the register, and then email the receipt to the family members
They would then just pay my credit card through their online banking, for whatever they asked me to get, and pick up groceries sometime during the week. Sometimes we meet up at Costco, but the idea is the same...
sooOoOOoo simpurrr, and everyone is happy
Works well enough for us
Feb 8, 2003
684 posts
184 upvotes
Mars2012 wrote:
May 4th, 2015 1:25 am
Costco has such terrific customer service and return policies...it's unfortunate that there are people who go out of their way to scam this company to save a few dollars through membership "abuse". I get most, if not all, my executive membership fees back every year.
I agree. But it seems like there are lots of poor people like the people in this thread sharing that would do anything to save a buck.

Must suck to be poor.
Dec 31, 2010
820 posts
215 upvotes
Richmond Hill
supeg93 wrote:
May 4th, 2015 3:36 pm
I agree. But it seems like there are lots of poor people like the people in this thread sharing that would do anything to save a buck.

Must suck to be poor.
I don't think sharing is as big of a problem is people here make it out to be
We go to Costco first and foremost because of the food quality - value is just a cherry on top.
I know that at least for our family, if we didn't share and buy the groceries for other family members, Costco would lose their business, and those other family members would've just shopped at Loblaw/Sobeys instead.

Although I love their return policy, I think this is what is abused most mercilessly. Anyways.
May 28, 2012
10175 posts
2337 upvotes
Saskatoon
ZeroToHero wrote:
May 4th, 2015 5:57 pm
I don't think sharing is as big of a problem is people here make it out to be
We go to Costco first and foremost because of the food quality - value is just a cherry on top.
I know that at least for our family, if we didn't share and buy the groceries for other family members, Costco would lose their business, and those other family members would've just shopped at Loblaw/Sobeys instead.

Although I love their return policy, I think this is what is abused most mercilessly. Anyways.
I read somewhere that it's the memberships that provide the profit for Costco...their products don't have a huge markup. So with that in mind, I guess Costco wouldn't really miss someone who was piggy backing off someone else's membership.
Deal Guru
Feb 13, 2004
10350 posts
562 upvotes
Mississauga
george__ wrote:
May 3rd, 2015 2:27 pm
We put the items in a certain order (to split the order), the cashier rings everything through, splits the bill at the end and we each pay with our own CC or cash.

Some locations maybe more lax than others?
I think a lot of people are just confused.

You are allowed to bring guests to buy merchandise. When they purchase, cashier will ask for a membership card, and you just have to be there with a member. "They are my guest". However, it is cash only -- meaning only a member with matching name on debit/credit card is allowed to pay with a debit or credit card.

I've seen the case where a member bought their $500+ of stuff and then their guest purchased $300 of stuff, but then there was a problem at payment time when the guest tried to pay. They only had an debit card and obviously cash only for guests. The member had to pay for her guest on her CC.

Likewise, if you have a gift card (obviously bought by a member and given to you), you can purchase without the presents of a member, but likewise, cash only -- no debit or credit card.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 12, 2006
6462 posts
2332 upvotes
Canada
Executive is the only way to roll .. we get more cash-back than the membership costs.
May 29, 2008
722 posts
245 upvotes
Hamilton
tg82 wrote:
May 2nd, 2015 7:31 pm
Executive - 2% cash back and I can get back the $55 difference in price if the Executive membership cash back doesn't go higher than the $55 base price.
I'm pretty sure that they only make up the difference for the rebate (if you don't reach the difference in cost between Gold Star and Executive) for the first cheque. You don't have that safety net in the years following that first cheque.
george__ wrote:
May 3rd, 2015 2:39 pm
I don't feel bad look at their website description
Uh... I don't really want to argue about what you're doing, only about the English of that excerpt from Costco's website. Not that I'm trying to start a fight... Just want to clear up what I believe is miscomprehension. Particularly the part that says "allows you", which I bolded. It doesn't say "allows you and your family", just that it allows YOU to purchase products FOR your home and family. You can purchase a product FOR your home, but I certainly wouldn't expect your home to line up and pay.
Dec 16, 2010
514 posts
103 upvotes
I just have a regular membership, I don't buy enough to justify the higher priced premium.

The sign up lady was pretty pushy about it too, that and the silly MC. I almost walked away without a membership because she was too pushy and almost forcing me to take the damn mastercard.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2003
15541 posts
971 upvotes
Niagara Falls
george__ wrote:
May 3rd, 2015 2:45 pm
Then let them call the manager, I'm using this with family not co-workers or friends
Then I suggest you ask at customer service exactly how they define "family" for membership. I'll even save you a bit of embarrassment.... family to Costco is defined as those living at the same address. Not on your word either, but by gov't issed ID....
Thinking seriously about the 4 S's...Sun, Sand, Surf and ... Booked for Sept in Mexico and booked Samana DR for Jan!
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
21565 posts
2321 upvotes
CSK'sMom wrote:
May 5th, 2015 4:30 pm
Then I suggest you ask at customer service exactly how they define "family" for membership. I'll even save you a bit of embarrassment.... family to Costco is defined as those living at the same address. Not on your word either, but by gov't issed ID....
Why? I haven't got caught yet :D
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2003
15541 posts
971 upvotes
Niagara Falls
daikman wrote:
May 4th, 2015 1:43 am
a little off topic, but does anyone know if there are any sign up bonuses right now for the Costco Membership??

mine expired about 2 months ago now, and I'm looking to renew for another year!

Thanks in advance RFD =)
be aware that when you finally renew they will backdate to your original expiry date...
Thinking seriously about the 4 S's...Sun, Sand, Surf and ... Booked for Sept in Mexico and booked Samana DR for Jan!