Shopping Discussion

Costco memberships, what do you have and what is the difference?

• Last Updated:
  • May 6th, 2015 8:51 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Apr 15, 2011
1478 posts
378 upvotes
CSK'sMom wrote:
May 5th, 2015 4:33 pm
be aware that when you finally renew they will backdate to your original expiry date...
What! Is that legal :( ? So I only will get ten months for the full calendar year paid??

Can anyone else confirm :( this is so sad!
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2004
12862 posts
1466 upvotes
Pickering
Executive and finally I can use my Aventura M/C.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2012
2490 posts
598 upvotes
Toronto
Mine is expiring this month, I really haven't used it the entire year. Everything seems more expensive than Walmart which is literally beside the Costco I go to in Mississauga.
What kind of items do you guys buy that warrants your membership renewal?
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
2515 posts
1523 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
ashihtaka wrote:
May 6th, 2015 3:11 am
Mine is expiring this month, I really haven't used it the entire year. Everything seems more expensive than Walmart which is literally beside the Costco I go to in Mississauga.
We buy the stuff that is good value to us. Or we just browse to see what's there, and get the samples. It's not always the dollar value that's the key, but the extra protection offered on our purchases. Assuming the identical product (including size) is available for only slightly more at Costco, I'd buy at Costco in most cases, because you don't get tasty samples at Wal-Mart. :)
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
2515 posts
1523 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
ZeroToHero wrote:
May 4th, 2015 5:57 pm
We go to Costco first and foremost because of the food quality - value is just a cherry on top.
I know that at least for our family, if we didn't share and buy the groceries for other family members, Costco would lose their business, and those other family members would've just shopped at Loblaw/Sobeys instead.
Right...so if it's so awesome, and the family members buy so much, why don't they get their own membership then? :)

I'm thinking Costco wouldn't be worried about losing your family members, since they make most of their profit (apparently) from membership fees.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
Feb 11, 2013
54 posts
10 upvotes
North Vancouver
We have free membership cards from the company that my hubby works for.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2012
2490 posts
598 upvotes
Toronto
hawaiigirl wrote:
May 6th, 2015 4:01 am
We have free membership cards from the company that my hubby works for.
Nice little perk that might actually be useful.
Deal Addict
Apr 17, 2014
1229 posts
593 upvotes
Ottawa ON
I regret not getting the executive membership originally because I have moved a significant amount of my purchases to Costco because of many things which include product quality, customer service, 2 minute lines and a great number of items are well priced. My membership would of been almost half paid off already if our family originally had the executive discount.

I have yet to find a rotten, expired, not fresh item or one that severely lacks quality in that store. Plus, it's clean - unlike some of the discount grocery stores such as FB, NF and WM where rotten food is often sold and not replaced, 15 minute lines, filth and food allover the floor, no customer service, etc. I still go into WM and PM items if it's cheaper than Costco, but not as much as I used to.
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2008
12897 posts
2309 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
What's so good about the Costco MasterCard anyways? I see it a lot. I can see why you would sign up for it for the initial promotions but afterwards, it seems to work similar to my MBNA SmartCash in terms of rewards and cash back.
tg82 wrote:
May 2nd, 2015 7:31 pm
Executive - 2% cash back and I can get back the $55 difference in price if the Executive membership cash back doesn't go higher than the $55 base price.

Also, was referred by a friend - we each both got a $10 Costco gift card.
How did you get your $55 difference back with Executive? We had Executive for years and we never got the cash back. Ended up downgrading to the regular membership. Are there any other benefits with executive, aside from executive only deals?
CSK'sMom wrote:
May 3rd, 2015 1:51 pm
It's true. When our daughter wants to buy makeup stuff we have to put her stuff on the line first and ask for a subtotal. They will NOT do a separate transaction or even split transactions on one card at one time.
Costco only allows you to split bills by doing the subtotal method that was mentioned. They will not let you put multiple transactions on one card. At least that's from my experience and what I see while lining up.

ALLCAPS wrote:
May 6th, 2015 3:34 am
We buy the stuff that is good value to us. Or we just browse to see what's there, and get the samples. It's not always the dollar value that's the key, but the extra protection offered on our purchases. Assuming the identical product (including size) is available for only slightly more at Costco, I'd buy at Costco in most cases, because you don't get tasty samples at Wal-Mart. [IMG]images/icons/new/smilies/thread-happy-16.png[/IMG]
What extra protection are you talking about? I know they easily have the best return policy but I'm not so sure what their warranty policy is like. Also I do agree that for some items, they are more expensive than outside supermarkets. Like chicken breasts, chicken wings, and chicken drumsticks for example. We rarely buy them from Costco because they are more expensive than outside.
Deal Addict
Apr 17, 2014
1229 posts
593 upvotes
Ottawa ON
What extra protection are you talking about? I know they easily have the best return policy but I'm not so sure what their warranty policy is like. Also I do agree that for some items, they are more expensive than outside supermarkets. Like chicken breasts, chicken wings, and chicken drumsticks for example. We rarely buy them from Costco because they are more expensive than outside.
http://www.costco.ca/extended-warranty- ... langId=-24

Their warranty system is well priced and has excellent coverage options such as accidental on laptops.

In addition, TV's for example:
Warranty:
For Costco members only, Costco extends manufacturer warranty to 2 years. Click on the Concierge Services tab for details. Concierge Service is offered exclusively to Costco members.
Returns accepted within 90 days from date of purchase
They basically double the manufacturers warranty and on-top of the doubling, you can also stack your credit card's extended warranty, which is a HUGE plus when purchasing technology from Costco. In addition, for a small charge, you can get warranty up to 5 years for a fraction of the price of any competitor and it's in-home repair service too!

There is no reason NOT to buy from Costco :) Unless the price is significantly cheaper elsewhere, but then again, if it is, you'll need to calculate and see if the lack of warranty is worth the cheaper price.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2006
1685 posts
272 upvotes
I have been on executive the last few years and noticed, why was I not on it earlier?
The rebate from it, plus the cc rebate more than covers the membership fee.
Where as if you get gold, the only rebate is from the cc.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
21617 posts
7522 upvotes
ashihtaka wrote:
Everything seems more expensive than Walmart which is literally beside the Costco I go to in Mississauga.
What? Almost everything I buy from Costco is cheaper than Walmart.
If it's not outright cheaper, it's cheaper per unit.
Sometimes it's more expensive but it's FAR higher quality which is also acceptable.
I go to Costco like twice a week. I go to Walmart like once a quarter.

A few examples:
Pitas: 4/$4 at Walmart that are garbage. Falls apart and won't fold. $4/24 at Costco that actually *GASP* bend.
Cantaloupe: A little more expensive at Costco but easily twice the size if not more. This is actually true for most fruit actually. Costco isn't cheapest but it's larger and nicer looking.
Meat: No contest. Costco may have a limited selection but it's all quality stuff. Plus they price per kg rather than flat pricing like "$10 for this random weight of chicken breast that works out to more expensive per pound. Plus we can screw you by keeping the price the same but adjusting the weights down over time so you don't notice until it's tiny!"
Cream: $3 and junk for 33% compared to $5 for 30%
Shirts: Kirkland brand is high quality. Walmart's house brand falls apart before you get it in the cart. Name brands are cheaper too.
Carpet Shampoo: $2 cheaper and 25% bigger.
Deal Addict
Apr 17, 2014
1229 posts
593 upvotes
Ottawa ON
ashihtaka wrote:
It all depends on the item in question. If we are examining non-PM prices, Costco usually wins on most produce however if we take PM'ing into consideration, it's about split 50/50 but you may sacrifice product quality depending on the product. As for meat, Costco wins hands down as Walmart doesn't come even close to their quality of meat - for example, you can get around 60~ish nice sized raw seasoned chicken wings for about $22 and the steak is the best I have ever eaten, just as good as The Outback/Keg steak in my opinion. Frozen foods such as veggie bags, pizzas, fruits bags is generally a better deal. Coffee such as K-Cups is better at Costco as you get close to 100 cups for around $50~ ish, so 0.50 per cup compared to Walmart where it's about 0.50~ ish per cup.

I would say that it's based on your eating habit. If you eat super healthy like me for example, Costco is definitely worth the membership because half the fruits/veggies/nuts/almond milk is better priced than all other stores.

The only thing I found Costco lacking was organic fruit juice or even pasteurized non concentrate preservative-free - it appears they lack in this department and only sell juices such as Tropicana which if you read up on how they make it, you may never drink it again if health conscious, so I am forced to go to PC branded stores and pick it up.

You should spend an hour in Costco just looking through every isle and weighing if the membership is right for you - I was against Costco before because I found paying for a membership ridiculous until my father in law added me to his account, so one day I checked it out and fell in love with the store - it's totally worth it in my opinion.