• Jan 13th, 2019 9:04 pm
[OP]
May 6, 2006
289 posts
188 upvotes
Brampton

[Costco] Mens Swiss Gear RFID Wallet Clearance $9.97

IMG_20190108_153205.jpg
Real leather wallet and removeable ID section with RFID protection. Wallet has slots for 6 credit cards, 2 ID pockets and pocket for bills. The removeable ID section fits into the main wallet or can be pulled out and used on its own. It has 3 credit card slots, 2 ID pockets and meshed ID panel.

Picked one up at London Wonderland Costco. Quite a few left. Not sure about other locations.
Last edited by TomRFD on Jan 8th, 2019 5:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: added price to title
Thread Summary
Things to know about RFID:

What is the read range for a typical RFID tag?
The read range of passive tags (tags without batteries) depends on many factors: the frequency of operation, the power of the reader, interference from metal objects or other RF devices. In general, low-frequency tags are read from a foot or less. High frequency tags are read from about three feet and UHF tags are read from 10 to 20 feet. Where longer ranges are needed, such as for tracking railway cars, active tags use batteries to boost read ranges to 300 feet or more.

What is tag collision?
Another problem readers have is reading a lot of chips in the same field. Tag collision occurs when more than one chip reflects back a signal at the same time, confusing the reader. Different vendors have developed different systems for having the tags respond to the reader one at a time. Since they can be read in milliseconds, it appears that all the tags are being read simultaneously.

Putting Stolen Information to Use

A wireless RFID skimmer can take the credit card number and expiration date of the card, but not the PIN or the CVV number on the back of the card. As a security measure, RFID chips change the CVV number with each transaction. As a result, in addition the getting the card number and expiration date, the skimmer will grab a CVV number that can be used only one time. If the cardholder happens to make a purchase before the hacker does, the stolen information becomes useless.

Hackers deal with this challenge by creating a cloned card as quickly as possible, using machines than can load the stolen information into a magnetic strip on a blank card. To speed the process, hackers can transmit the information to a teammate who can produce a replicated card within a couple of minutes. From there, the hackers will try to use the cloned card before the owner does.

Hackers steal your info in a mall in BC, send the info to their buddy in Toronto who sticks it on a blank card and pays at the pump for a tank of gas, all within a few minutes time. The hassle isn't getting your bank to recognize the charge as fraudulent, it's getting a new card and having to contact all the businesses that you had automatic payments with, and reauthorize the payments with the new card. Easier to just get an rfid wallet, especially at the $10 price point.
84 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2006
2745 posts
1071 upvotes
Toronto
9.97 now eh

bought it at regular

time for a price adjustment
Deal Fanatic
Dec 25, 2002
5552 posts
374 upvotes
Vancouver
Is there an item number?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2008
8916 posts
5220 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)
I kind of feel like this is a poor design based on the description and picture by the OP. The removable ID section sounds good in theory as a second wallet however when you down-right think about it, if you keep it together as one wallet, you'd have to pull it apart into 2 sections to get at the 3 credit cards attached to the ID section unless you keep the ID part stuffed into the wallet pocket versus the credit card section.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Apr 12, 2018
38 posts
33 upvotes
BTW, RFID protection in wallets is complete BS and money waste - basically 100% of readers fail if more than one payment card is in range -
so there's near to 0% chance of the fraud that these wallets are supposed to protect from.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
28774 posts
14578 upvotes
Ottawa
ToMWork wrote:
Jan 8th, 2019 4:41 pm
BTW, RFID protection in wallets is complete BS and money waste - basically 100% of readers fail if more than one payment card is in range -
so there's near to 0% chance of the fraud that these wallets are supposed to protect from.
I always wondered the same thing...
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
28774 posts
14578 upvotes
Ottawa
blyndfyre wrote:
Jan 8th, 2019 4:56 pm
Since I got the RIDGE wallet I can't go back to a bulky leather wallet.
Not practical for everyone.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2008
1188 posts
628 upvotes
I remember seeing this for $15 at Leslie/Elgin Mills just Sunday... is it store specific? Or recent markdown?
Jul 22, 2014
765 posts
1516 upvotes
Calgary, AB
vkizzle wrote:
Jan 8th, 2019 4:59 pm
Not practical for everyone.
That argument is irrelevant as the wallet the OP posted is "not practical" for everyone.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
28774 posts
14578 upvotes
Ottawa
blyndfyre wrote:
Jan 8th, 2019 5:04 pm
That argument is irrelevant as the wallet the OP posted is "not practical" for everyone.
Touche...
Jan 3, 2007
943 posts
342 upvotes
Toronto
blyndfyre wrote:
Jan 8th, 2019 4:56 pm
Since I got the RIDGE wallet I can't go back to a bulky leather wallet.
Ridge looks bulkier actually. Why would I want something hard in my pocket, when I can have a soft leather wallet? My phone is annoying enough as is.

I always cut the middle section of a wallet, or buy one without a middle section. Bulk problem solved.