Wheels and Tires

Are Costco Michelin X-Tour A/S the exact same as Michelin Defender?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 16th, 2018 1:14 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2002
3143 posts
192 upvotes

Are Costco Michelin X-Tour A/S the exact same as Michelin Defender?

This is what Costco told me but I can find little information online to confirm, any negative to buying the Costco version of this tire compared to an actual Defender?
15 replies
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
15648 posts
3442 upvotes
Toronto
I don't think it's the exact same. They are different.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
2734 posts
551 upvotes
Oshawa
Rockstead wrote:
Apr 9th, 2018 8:32 am
This is what Costco told me but I can find little information online to confirm, any negative to buying the Costco version of this tire compared to an actual Defender?
I'm sorry. Ummmmm ... are the names the same?????? Am I missing something here????

Orange versus Tangerine ....

Michelin X-Tour A/S versus Michelin Defender

You do the comparison. It's all there in ENGLISH!
Stress is caused by NOT fishing enough.
JDM ONLY! No North American CRAP!
Megabass, Imakatsu, Jackall, GanCraft, OSP, EverGreen, YGK, Toray, Sunline, Nories, Shimano, Daiwa RULES!
EVA Air Rocks ... Air Canada SUCKS!
Feb 24, 2002
518 posts
3 upvotes
I believe the op was not trying to offend and was only asking a question. I had read on another forum buyers asking the same question and were answered that they were the same. So it appears as the opportunity asked various opinions with these tires as the opportunity was asking. However it appears they are not the same as carmaster stated.
Oct 18, 2012
179 posts
145 upvotes
Montreal
I find the manufacturer's description to be somewhat confusing/misleading:
Lasts 15% longer than the previous generation MICHELIN® DEFENDER® XT tire.
I too thought they may have been a rebranded version of the Defender.

FYI, here's a similar thread with more info:
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/u ... ur_tire_re
[Intelligent thought is worth reading. The rest, not so much. Help reduce word pollution.]
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
13030 posts
2545 upvotes
London
kudos2012 wrote:
Apr 30th, 2018 10:42 pm

I too thought they may have been a rebranded version of the Defender
(new model = Defender T+H)
I think the same tire was sold under different names in the past as well:
Costco = Michelin-X (or maybe it was Symmetry?)
Canadian Tire = Destiny
Dealers = Harmony

Don't forget that Michelin also owns the BF Goodrich and Uniroyal names and can sell similar tires under different brands as well.
Penalty Box
Apr 25, 2013
6939 posts
1206 upvotes
Costco, Walmart and Canadian Tire get an "exclusive series" of tires that is normally not on the tire manufacturers' website.
Avoid these at all cost since you will not be eligible for any of the tire manufacturer's rebate offers.
Just check if that particular series is on their Canadian website if it is listed you're all good, if not buy a series that is listed.
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2005
4517 posts
535 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
These model designations tire manufacturers come up with can drive one nuts.

I'm trying to decide if a Michelin "XL Pilot Sport A/S 3+ CPS" is the same as a Michelin "Pilot Sport AS 3 Plus"
First name is on Active Green + Ross the second one on the Canadian 1010Tires site

To make things worse, on the Canadian Michelin site the tire with the closest name to those is "MICHELIN® Pilot® Sport A/S 3+"
Sounds identical to the 1010Tires name, but what is the "XL" in front and the "CPS" after the name on the G+R website?
Penalty Box
Apr 25, 2013
6939 posts
1206 upvotes
krs wrote:
May 1st, 2018 9:22 pm
These model designations tire manufacturers come up with can drive one nuts.

I'm trying to decide if a Michelin "XL Pilot Sport A/S 3+ CPS" is the same as a Michelin "Pilot Sport AS 3 Plus"
First name is on Active Green + Ross the second one on the Canadian 1010Tires site

To make things worse, on the Canadian Michelin site the tire with the closest name to those is "MICHELIN® Pilot® Sport A/S 3+"
Sounds identical to the 1010Tires name, but what is the "XL" in front and the "CPS" after the name on the G+R website?
"XL" stands for "Extra Load" usually used for pulling 5th wheel etc, normal passenger car tires are usually grade at 84-92 load bearing ...No idea what CPS is.
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2005
4517 posts
535 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
EdT586 wrote:
May 2nd, 2018 12:30 am
"XL" stands for "Extra Load" usually used for pulling 5th wheel etc, normal passenger car tires are usually grade at 84-92 load bearing ...No idea what CPS is.
I called Green + Ross this morning re the "CPS" meaning on their website.
Turns out when they bring up that tire on their internal computer system there is np "CPS" in the name and the G+R had no clue what that might mean.
Jun 15, 2018
1 posts
1 upvote
I had to create an account here just to say I bought 4 at Costco today for under $500 installed because of the instant rebate. 80,000 mile warranty. Whomever said to avoid Costco at all costs is a flaming idiot. Like seriously, I save $70 now and (available for two more days) (17th of june 2018). Apparently he would rather pay more, not be backed by costco and wait for a rebate to (hopefully) come i the mail.
Oct 6, 2018
2 posts
2 upvotes
According to Sam’s Club, the above mentioned two tires are the same tire, just have a different description on the sidewall. Same warranty from Michelin. Same tread design. Both rated as Extra Load. XLT shows as an A/S tire while the Defender LTX shows as a M/S tire. Either way, this tire is rated #1 in CR. Also, manufacturing rebates are available at Costco and Sam’s at various times throughout the year!
Oct 6, 2018
2 posts
2 upvotes
If in doubt, go to the source! This reply is directly from the Michelin online chatline. Don’t believe me, check it out directly with them on www.Michelinman.com

Hello, thank you for your interest in Michelin tires! I will be happy to assist you with that information.

That is correct, they are the same tire. The XLT is just a club exclusive tire.

Enough said! Happy shopping!
Oct 14, 2018
1 posts
From Michelin customer support:

Hello. Thank you for your interest in our tires.

The Defender T+H does have a slight difference from the X Tour A/S T + H. The Defender T+H comes with our Comfort Control Technology that help reduce road noise and vibration.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2007
4807 posts
1215 upvotes
Alberta
AV-Fishing wrote:
Apr 11th, 2018 9:24 pm
I'm sorry. Ummmmm ... are the names the same?????? Am I missing something here????

Orange versus Tangerine ....

Michelin X-Tour A/S versus Michelin Defender

You do the comparison. It's all there in ENGLISH!
OP Is asking because the pictures of both tires on the Costco website show the exact same tread pattern. The older Defender XT had a different tread pattern than the Defender/Defender T + H.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)