Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Costco

Mirage Retractable Screen Discount at Costco

• Last Updated:
  • May 11th, 2018 2:19 pm
Sep 20, 2006
252 posts
85 upvotes
Does anyone have experience with the window screens from either Mirage or Phantom?

I’m looking for a way to keep (most) bugs out while allowing my cats to come and go onto our porch, which has access from the house via a standard-sized in-swinging door. My idea was to look at installing one of the screens designed for a window that I could pull down nearly to the floor and just leave a gap for them to come and go. Do the window-type retractable screens stay in place part-way down or do they need to be hooked or magnetized to stay down?

Also, any other ideas? I guess I could look at a framed screen door and install a pet flap but like the idea of not having to swing open the screen door.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
3862 posts
2940 upvotes
Markham
plg_cp wrote: Does anyone have experience with the window screens from either Mirage or Phantom?

I’m looking for a way to keep (most) bugs out while allowing my cats to come and go onto our porch, which has access from the house via a standard-sized in-swinging door. My idea was to look at installing one of the screens designed for a window that I could pull down nearly to the floor and just leave a gap for them to come and go. Do the window-type retractable screens stay in place part-way down or do they need to be hooked or magnetized to stay down?

Also, any other ideas? I guess I could look at a framed screen door and install a pet flap but like the idea of not having to swing open the screen door.
Any screens are not pet/kid friendly. They will probably tear the screen.
You are better off using a pet door installed.
I have Phantom screens and I still don't trust my dogs. They would see something in the backyard and they will rush toward the doors not knowing there are screens there.
Jul 11, 2017
1 posts
1 upvote
Hello!!!

I know I'm a little late to the conversation but here is my experience:

About 2 years ago we had a phantom double door screen installed at our house into the backyard - and shortly after we had a mirage single door screen installed at the front door. We thought the mirage was a better deal, but soon found the mesh fraying, and the handle not opening. We actually had to call Mirage, (45 minutes on hold), before anyone was able to schedule an appointment for them to come and fix the screen - and two weeks later the same issue happened again. My wife got sick of having to leave through the back door since the front door screen wouldn't open (mirage), that we actually called phantom and changed front door screens to them. Ever since haven't had an issue.

So if it's the price you are worried about, maybe a Phantom screen doesn't work for you, but if you don't want to be buying another screen every 2 seasons and paying for countless repairs and such - go with Phantom.

I don't know if that helps but that is just what I think :).
Jul 5, 2017
74 posts
23 upvotes
Mirage came over to give a quote yesterday and it came up to 1980$ for 2 french door, 1 is 8ft and another 7 ft standard. We would get around 190$ costco card back apparently. which sounded a good deal? However, after reading these posts looks like Phantom is a better product than Mirage eh?

I will try to get the quote from them today. hopefully
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2004
1650 posts
196 upvotes
Ottawa
Had a Mirage installed 2 years ago via costco. Installer was a really great guy in Ottawa. Would definitely recommend. No issues to date. Can't comment on Phantom, but the magnet is indeed strong. Two methods suggested by the installer is first, you can "push" on the handle slightly to offset the magnet, making it easier to open, or second, just put a piece of tape over the magnet (or 2 or 3) until you get the desired strength. The magnet is very strong so that the wind can't blow it open. I think the magnet is great - if someone runs into it accidentally, the magnet will release without damage, versus a latch breaking.

I think for my doorway it was about 300-400$ after tax, including the custom color.
Oct 17, 2013
969 posts
716 upvotes
Costco in store has Genius retractable doors. stock #1099323. They are either 99.97 or 69.97 on clearance depending on which Costco you go to. Does anyone have experience with these doors?
Apr 30, 2007
186 posts
55 upvotes
Both my parent and I have similar screens like this (not sure if it is the same brand as it came with the house).

They are nice since they're compact however both of us experience issues with:

- The slide mechanism not sliding smoothly
- The magnet is strong and for people who don't know how to open it, can't open it (you need to push the handle before sliding)
- The magnet is strong, but don't use during high winds as it would retract and make a loud bang
- Pets are not aware of the screen. Dogs/cats will try to run through the door and hit the screen thus either ripping it, or disengaging the magnet and another loud bang.
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2013
1579 posts
1542 upvotes
It looks like Phantom Screens has a professional series that also uses magnets.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2005
1765 posts
832 upvotes
i-o_o-i wrote: Had one installed from Costco several years ago, I think it was around $300 installed.

I've been satisfied with the quality of the screen plus the slide/retracting mechanism. No rust and still retracts smoothly, it's easy to use once you get the hang of it, but when guests come over they do struggle with opening the screen. My one issue with these are, if you have pets, they might try to escape under the screen as you can just push the screen, exposing a hole along the bottom. My cat has escaped that way before, he didn't get far though, found him in the backyard. Since that incident, I would block the screen with a piece of foamboard or something so that didn't happen again.
Lol. I have the same problem with my cat. However my screen wasn't that great or the installer didnt install it properly. My screen would rip fairly easily, when it slides back in parts of it would bunch up and cause a tear. After 30 days I emailed them and they said they can replace the screen for $150. I was a bit annoyed but i can live with it.

Should have complained to Costco but I wasn't in the mood to tear down the entire thing and return it. It's a minor annoyance.
Jul 5, 2017
74 posts
23 upvotes
Albin wrote:
Should have complained to Costco but I wasn't in the mood to tear down the entire thing and return it. It's a minor annoyance.
The lady from Mirage dealer said the wire mesh is made up of Fibreglass and its specialty was to not tear away easily. Hmm I will visit phanthom showroom this weekend and see for myself how strong the mesh is and if its kids friendly.
Aug 3, 2010
362 posts
139 upvotes
I RFD wrote: So what's the functional advantage of these over regular screen doors? Is it just that you can use them in places where you'd rather not have the screen door take up some room when retracted?
Personally i find storm doors and screen doors are ugly. Having the benefit of a screen door (letting in air, keeping bugs out) without having to see one all the time is ideal. Nicer houses tend to have nice looking front/side/back doors and so its more appealing to show them off, not hide them away behind ugly storm/screen doors. So having one that retracts is more beneficial for the aesthetic-minded types out there.
Aug 3, 2010
362 posts
139 upvotes
A year ago i did research on the entire market and despite Mirage and Phantom being the biggest brands they too suffer from being a bit overpriced (relative to functionality) and lack finer quality details that one would expect. So neither are perfect by a long shot. I mark it up to lack of true competition in the field. I get a sense it's more of a "it works. people are buying. good enough" mentality by the entire retractable screen market, and Mirage/Phantom are no different but decided to just add a few more tweaks that separate them above the others. But there is so much more that needs to be done in this field. But they, nor anyone else cares to. They are content due to the lack of competition.

In short, when it comes to retractable screens it more about settling for what is available than finding a truly great product. That being said, Mirage is a bit better than Phantom in terms of functionality/durability. Beyond these two brands, the rest of the market is a total embarrassment.

For me, i ended up buying Mirage because i was forced to. Again, not because i think they are great (they aren't) but because they are the best of what is available (it's a small market), in a marketplace where such companies don't seem to have much care in researching real-world settings.
Dec 24, 2009
36 posts
8 upvotes
Nanaimo
I have 2 Phantom screens,1 came with the house (old) and 1 I had installed last year. I had Mirage (through Costco) price the job and although their price was less I would have had to get some minor carpentry work done as my door is out swing so the screen would go on the inside. They wouldn't do that work. When Phantom priced it they told me they preferred to do the carpentry work themselves so that they knew it would work. That and not having magnetic latches sold me on Phantom. I've had magnetic closures before and as they get older they don't stay closed very well. I was very impressed with the Phantom installer, he even did some work on the old screen to get it working better. These screens are hell with animals, Cats will figure out they can go under them and dogs run into them. Both will eventually ruin them. i just put a baby gate on which ever side the animals are on. It's a pain but it works.
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2008
1970 posts
563 upvotes
Winnipeg
brand404 wrote: A year ago i did research on the entire market and despite Mirage and Phantom being the biggest brands they too suffer from being a bit overpriced (relative to functionality) and lack finer quality details that one would expect. So neither are perfect by a long shot. I mark it up to lack of true competition in the field. I get a sense it's more of a "it works. people are buying. good enough" mentality by the entire retractable screen market, and Mirage/Phantom are no different but decided to just add a few more tweaks that separate them above the others. But there is so much more that needs to be done in this field. But they, nor anyone else cares to. They are content due to the lack of competition.

In short, when it comes to retractable screens it more about settling for what is available than finding a truly great product. That being said, Mirage is a bit better than Phantom in terms of functionality/durability. Beyond these two brands, the rest of the market is a total embarrassment.

For me, i ended up buying Mirage because i was forced to. Again, not because i think they are great (they aren't) but because they are the best of what is available (it's a small market), in a marketplace where such companies don't seem to have much care in researching real-world settings.
So the brands at Homedepot or Rona are not worth considering? Was thinking of maybe installing one of those myself.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2014
3097 posts
474 upvotes
Oshawa, ON
I had Mirage french door screens put in last fall but the main side started binding almost immediately then the screen started to tear. Day 1 they worked perfect, day 3 they were pretty much useless. The magnet I don't see being an issue. It holds the door closed. The secondary side is held in place with pins at the top and bottom. My theory is that debris in the bottom is forced into the cassette or spring mechanism causing irreparable damage. I didn't choose Mirage, the guy who put the door in just put it in himself so I don't know the cost. Called the local dealer to see if they can fix. If they can't or don't respond, I'll just try Phantom. I noticed Mirage has a lifetime warranty but I don't know if they'll honor. I don't have a proof of purchase since it came with the door. That installer has since ghosted on me. Good thing there's no issue with the doors lol. I think there needs to be some kind of brush on the bottom to prevent debris from getting into the cassette.
signature removed for inappropriate content
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2010
1803 posts
1303 upvotes
Toronto
I just returned the Genius mesh door from Costco because unfortunate my front door has a sidelight and the genius is not wide enough. I already called for the mirage and phantom free consultation appointment, will update with prices next week.