Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Costco

Northrock Road Bike SCR1 $570

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 20th, 2020 9:37 am
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2011
3744 posts
1986 upvotes
Vancouver
17NB69 wrote: North Shore Bike Shop @ 1831 Lonsdale Ave, North Vancouver
Thanks. Any other good deals you spotted while there ?
Deal Addict
May 18, 2007
2201 posts
1490 upvotes
Many articles list 500-600$ bikes as entry level.
Coming from a CT Supercycle. I took the plunge on the MEC Midtown for $600 (supposedly discounted from 800). Being my first purchased bike, I hope it wasn't a horrible mistake!

Most lay ppl would consider buying only 100-200 $ bikes. If $500-600 is entry level, then where are 100-200$ bikes, did they not leave the factory?
kidding aside, besides weight, what extras make the difference?
:arrowl: Thanks if Helped! :D
Feb 18, 2014
77 posts
45 upvotes
Burnaby
charlesd79 wrote: Thanks. Any other good deals you spotted while there ?
No. The best deal IMO is the Moab 3. The next bike up, a GT, is almost double the price. That one is 2 lbs lighter and has hydraulic brakes but @ +$185 per pound, no thanks, not worth it for my intended usage.

Full specs: http://www.performancebike.com/webapp/w ... _-1_catNav
Last edited by 17NB69 on Apr 29th, 2017 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
19713 posts
13577 upvotes
Ottawa
coffeebean wrote: Many articles list 500-600$ bikes as entry level.
Coming from a CT Supercycle. I took the plunge on the MEC Midtown for $600 (supposedly discounted from 800). Being my first purchased bike, I hope it wasn't a horrible mistake!

Most lay ppl would consider buying only 100-200 $ bikes. If $500-600 is entry level, then where are 100-200$ bikes, did they not leave the factory?
You get what you pay for. I think what they mean by “entry level” is it’s entry level for a quality bike. Whereas the cheaper department store bikes that sell for $200 are probably rebadged frames from some generic OEM factory with parts that are scraping the bottom of the barrel. They are mostly disposable bikes.

The Shimano Acera branded parts on the MEC bike cost over $200 alone just for those parts. You should notice a big improvement with that MEC bike. If you take good care of it, there will probably be no reason to every replace it because it could last decades (replacing wear items like tires, brakes, chain) Of course, if you crash it….
What's great about that MEC bike is that it uses the full set of Acera parts, some other brand manfacturers may substitute a few things for some no name parts thinking you might not notice.
Please update your profile to include your city https://forums.redflagdeals.com/ucp.php?i=ucp_profile&mode=profile_info
Apr 28, 2017
3 posts
Hey guys,

Happy to see so many replies.

I'm very interested in this bike. I live in Montreal, Quebec. The Shimano gear set used is the second lowest one. On most bikes from bike shops around here, those are found on the $1200+ bikes.

This would be my first bike. I also like their hybrid. I want to save my money for when I get better and really appreciate the better components of a lbs bike.

How do you think this bike would handle with thicker tires? Like cyclocross tires. I'm thinking of going on Mount Royal. Not really a trail but not paved either.

It is unfortunate that in this city, we don't really have any in between options. You can either scrape the bottom of the barrel at Canadian Tire. Or spend $1300 and up for a lbs bike. And at the bottom range, the components are very entry level.

Thank you all in advance for your input.
Nov 30, 2007
521 posts
87 upvotes
North York
I picked up this bike. I don't know much about bikes, particularly road bikes, but I know that for the price I probably wouldn't be able to find anything comparable and this one feels quite awesome.
I'm not really sure about the size though, I'm 6ft (184cm) and the bike feels a bit small? I pushed the seat up and back and it's not uncomfortable, but I only rode it for a few miles. Any thoughts? I'm not really keen on spending double the money for something like this just to get a bigger size.
Anybody in the same boat as me?
Jun 20, 2011
47 posts
43 upvotes
Victoria
stasik wrote: I picked up this bike. I don't know much about bikes, particularly road bikes, but I know that for the price I probably wouldn't be able to find anything comparable and this one feels quite awesome.
I'm not really sure about the size though, I'm 6ft (184cm) and the bike feels a bit small? I pushed the seat up and back and it's not uncomfortable, but I only rode it for a few miles. Any thoughts? I'm not really keen on spending double the money for something like this just to get a bigger size.
Anybody in the same boat as me?
The manufacturer lists the max height for that bike at 5'9". Riding too small of a bike will cause back pain as the top tube is too short causing you to crouch over too much. That is if you are truly getting correct leg extension when you pedal. If you aren't, and I suspect this, you will get some nasty knee pains.
Aug 17, 2013
58 posts
58 upvotes
Perth
Answers wrote: I was at Costco today, and see the bikes they have brought in for this summer, any opinions on the Northrock XC29? its $450. Oddly enough its $409 online with free shipping. I would wait till the first price drop as it looks like their not moving at all.
I bought the XC29 for $399 at the Kingston Costco. Great bike. I was worried that it would be too small. I`m 6'2". It is very comfortable to ride and no issues so far. I`m not an expert and it`s is my first "modern " bike in 20 years.
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2005
1141 posts
2567 upvotes
Northrock CTM is already gone from costco.ca. If you want to buy online, probably should not wait for too long.
Apr 29, 2017
21 posts
7 upvotes
Since the CTM is now OOS, how is it's replacement? The XCW?

I bought an SRC1 but it was my first Road bike, I liked it but the lack of suspension bothered me. The roads near me could definitely use some improvement.

I'm looking for a bike mostly for commuting in the city on rough roads and some hills. Would the XCW be better than the SRC1 or the XC29
Feb 22, 2009
989 posts
668 upvotes
Ottawa
Picked up the XCW for the wife and an XC27 for myself this weekend. As other people have mentioned, it's best to double check all the assembly steps by following the instructions yourself (you'll need allen keys and a wrench as the ones from the original box are not included with the pre-assembled bikes).

The XCW handlebar, left pedal and front reflector were all loose and had to be tightened. The rear rotor was rubbing against one of the brake pads as well so I removed the brake from the frame, engaged the brake lever fully and re-attached it but still had to use the allen key adjustment to open the pads up so it wasn't rubbing anymore. The XC27 still had a plastic protector cap lodged between the fork and the wheel that should have been removed before assembly.
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2016
2913 posts
3056 upvotes
Toronto
coffeebean wrote: Many articles list 500-600$ bikes as entry level.

Not sure if it makes easier to understand, but think of smartphones. You can buy a cheap Chinese branded for like 50 dollars (on AliExpress, geekbuy, dealextreme), and can buy like an iPhone 7 plus for 1,300 - Some can say they do exactly the same things: they call, they have similar apps, camera, wifi, gps... what make the difference?

Brands are a factor in Bikes as well, but each of parts will have impact on price. worth mentioning that isn't hard to see bikes costing more than brand new cars.
On a high end bike (from a 2-3K to a 20K+?), probably weight difference and some gizmo here and there, but from 100 to 500 bike is brutal, it's like the smartphone comparison. I'm not expert in any means, but I kinda like bikes.

I'd separate a bike in 3 parts (that for road, hybrid, city... MTB/DH styles you'd need to count suspensions as well):

* Frame set (basically frame+fork),
* Wheel set (rims, spokes, hubs),
* Group set ("gears" or Derailleur, brakes, crank set...)

As you can see, each part is actually made by a whole bunch of parts... but normally sold as each set. Also didn't include some other stuff like saddle, seat post, handlebar, stem, pedals, tires ... (and those add lots on price, but more visible on mid to high end game);

* Frame set: Most of cheap bikes' frame are steel made. which means heavier. but apart of that, I'd be a bit concerned on quality as well. I've seen some scary welding on those... entry level will be normally Aluminium made, and better quality. from there you can find some other materials, high end ones normally will have carbon fibre, but you can see some other materials for different bikes (like titanium) - from the initial models you can see a difference on weight and geometry, high end might even consider aerodynamics stuff (those track bikes for instance, crazy stuff!)
* Wheel set: You probably won't consider much as well, maybe starting on 1.5K, but your MEC midtown have way better wheels than probably any Canadian Tire one. High end will be lighter, have better bearings, looks better and even aero as well
* Group set: we basically have 3 brands Shimano, SRAM and Campagnolo (this latter probably just on road high end bikes). This is where we (non super pro individuals) can see a major price difference, and A $100-200 probably will have a cheapo rip off chinese branded. each brand will have some hierarchy; That hierarchy will change: number of speeds (8 to 11 on Road, 6 to 10? on MTB); Weight and Durability (differently from most of stuff, you'll see a decline in durability on higher end groups!)
huuuu! (¬'-')¬ C-('-'Q) straight!
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2005
2449 posts
1639 upvotes
Montreal
savingforever wrote: Went to Costco today to try it out but it was too high for me. Just FYI, I'm 5'6 with a 30" inseam. Maybe they had a larger version at my Costco? But it was definitely too high for me even with the seat at the lowest setting. My crotch was practically on the top tube of the frame when standing tip toe.
We are the exact same height and inseam. Which bike are you talking about exactly? I tried the XCW and I could stand comfortably. Same with the XC27- but it was closer to the crotch. I didn't get to try the CTM, so I'd like to know what bikes you're talking about.
Best Deals: Star Alliance Silver without even flying= FREE
Telus CAN/USA Unlimited, CID/VM/SMS 25gb $25/month
Electrolux 527 Washer $300
Feb 22, 2009
989 posts
668 upvotes
Ottawa
deal_king wrote: We are the exact same height and inseam. Which bike are you talking about exactly? I tried the XCW and I could stand comfortably. Same with the XC27- but it was closer to the crotch. I didn't get to try the CTM, so I'd like to know what bikes you're talking about.
If you're the same height/inseam and could stand comfortably over both the XCW and XC27, "savingforever" likely tried out the XC29 (29" tires). The XCW is a 16" frame and the top bar angles a bit downwards as it's a hybrid. The XC27 is an 18" frame and the top bar is more horizontal as it's a mountain bike. The CTM is the same size frame and tires as the XC27 so it would likely fit you fine as well.
Feb 22, 2012
109 posts
8 upvotes
SURREY
deal_king wrote: We are the exact same height and inseam. Which bike are you talking about exactly? I tried the XCW and I could stand comfortably. Same with the XC27- but it was closer to the crotch. I didn't get to try the CTM, so I'd like to know what bikes you're talking about.
Sorry, I should have clarified. I tried the road bike (SCR1). I didn't try the hybrids since I already have one of those and was hoping to get a road bike but the SCR1 at Costco was too big--if only they carried the smaller version in store.
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2011
3155 posts
12777 upvotes
Saint-Eustache
Guys how do you rate the XCW? I want to get one for my wife.

Any XC27 or SCR1 left in Montreal? In Boisbriand there's only XCW.
Rogers Unlimited Province, 12gb $39/month!
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2005
1141 posts
2567 upvotes
Rlcky wrote: Guys how do you rate the XCW? I want to get one for my wife.

Any XC27 or SCR1 left in Montreal? In Boisbriand there's only XCW.
I saw xc27 (or maybe xc29 don't remember exactly which one) at the Bridge Costco
Mar 5, 2006
171 posts
30 upvotes
Montreal
Hey guys,

I need some advice..

My local bike store has a Specialized Allez E5 for sale at $700. Between this and the Northrock SCR1, which is the better buy?
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2011
3155 posts
12777 upvotes
Saint-Eustache
for those who has the XCW and CTM any review/comment?

I will prefer to go with Cross terrain bike as we don't do much camping or mounting bike.
Rogers Unlimited Province, 12gb $39/month!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)