• May 28th, 2017 7:50 pm
Deal Fanatic
Mar 6, 2003
9869 posts
1228 upvotes
Ottawa
pimbata wrote:
Apr 28th, 2017 12:27 pm
Yeah, the most "extreme" would be a flat packed gravel trail, so nothing too crazy. Do you think a road bike with 23mm tires would be able to handle that too or not?
if it's truly packed, it will be ok but any loose gravel will do you in. It's not ideal on a road bike but the tires can handle it for short distances. If you do this regularly, you can swap out the tires for something with a bit more tread grooves and puncture protection

There was a section on my commute that was fairly loose gravel and it was a bit scary on even my 35mm tires
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2012
3082 posts
1143 upvotes
I was at Costco today, and see the bikes they have brought in for this summer, any opinions on the Northrock XC29? its $450. Oddly enough its $409 online with free shipping. I would wait till the first price drop as it looks like their not moving at all.
If I have answered your question, Hit the Ol' THUMBS UP❗
Feb 18, 2014
65 posts
40 upvotes
Burnaby
Answers wrote:
Apr 28th, 2017 7:54 pm
I was at Costco today, and see the bikes they have brought in for this summer, any opinions on the Northrock XC29? its $450. Oddly enough its $409 online with free shipping. I would wait till the first price drop as it looks like their not moving at all.
Not sure where you are located. I was also shopping for a 29er around $400. Looked at Northrock XC29 and ended up buying a Schwinn Moab 3 from a local bike shop in North Vancouver for $380. The closer was free lifetime tuneups for as long as you own it and they have small, medium, and large frames.
http://www.schwinnbikes.com/usa/bikes/m ... b-3#/specs *cog set is a Sunrace 8 speed 11-34 **rear derailleur is Acera
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2011
2393 posts
651 upvotes
Vancouver
17NB69 wrote:
Apr 29th, 2017 1:39 am
ended up buying a Schwinn Moab 3 from a local bike shop in North Vancouver for $380. The closer was free lifetime tuneups for as long as you own it and they have small, medium, and large frames.
Which bike shop ?
Feb 18, 2014
65 posts
40 upvotes
Burnaby
charlesd79 wrote:
Apr 29th, 2017 1:51 am
Which bike shop ?
North Shore Bike Shop @ 1831 Lonsdale Ave, North Vancouver
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2011
2393 posts
651 upvotes
Vancouver
17NB69 wrote:
Apr 29th, 2017 2:49 am
North Shore Bike Shop @ 1831 Lonsdale Ave, North Vancouver
Thanks. Any other good deals you spotted while there ?
Deal Addict
May 18, 2007
1060 posts
151 upvotes
Many articles list 500-600$ bikes as entry level.
Coming from a CT Supercycle. I took the plunge on the MEC Midtown for $600 (supposedly discounted from 800). Being my first purchased bike, I hope it wasn't a horrible mistake!

Most lay ppl would consider buying only 100-200 $ bikes. If $500-600 is entry level, then where are 100-200$ bikes, did they not leave the factory?
kidding aside, besides weight, what extras make the difference?
:arrowl: Thanks if Helped! :D
Feb 18, 2014
65 posts
40 upvotes
Burnaby
charlesd79 wrote:
Apr 29th, 2017 11:43 am
Thanks. Any other good deals you spotted while there ?
No. The best deal IMO is the Moab 3. The next bike up, a GT, is almost double the price. That one is 2 lbs lighter and has hydraulic brakes but @ +$185 per pound, no thanks, not worth it for my intended usage.

Full specs: http://www.performancebike.com/webapp/w ... _-1_catNav
Last edited by 17NB69 on Apr 29th, 2017 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 6, 2003
9869 posts
1228 upvotes
Ottawa
coffeebean wrote:
Apr 29th, 2017 12:15 pm
Many articles list 500-600$ bikes as entry level.
Coming from a CT Supercycle. I took the plunge on the MEC Midtown for $600 (supposedly discounted from 800). Being my first purchased bike, I hope it wasn't a horrible mistake!

Most lay ppl would consider buying only 100-200 $ bikes. If $500-600 is entry level, then where are 100-200$ bikes, did they not leave the factory?
kidding aside, besides weight, what extras make the difference?
You get what you pay for. I think what they mean by “entry level” is it’s entry level for a quality bike. Whereas the cheaper department store bikes that sell for $200 are probably rebadged frames from some generic OEM factory with parts that are scraping the bottom of the barrel. They are mostly disposable bikes.

The Shimano Acera branded parts on the MEC bike cost over $200 alone just for those parts. You should notice a big improvement with that MEC bike. If you take good care of it, there will probably be no reason to every replace it because it could last decades (replacing wear items like tires, brakes, chain) Of course, if you crash it….
What's great about that MEC bike is that it uses the full set of Acera parts, some other brand manfacturers may substitute a few things for some no name parts thinking you might not notice.
Apr 28, 2017
3 posts
Hey guys,

Happy to see so many replies.

I'm very interested in this bike. I live in Montreal, Quebec. The Shimano gear set used is the second lowest one. On most bikes from bike shops around here, those are found on the $1200+ bikes.

This would be my first bike. I also like their hybrid. I want to save my money for when I get better and really appreciate the better components of a lbs bike.

How do you think this bike would handle with thicker tires? Like cyclocross tires. I'm thinking of going on Mount Royal. Not really a trail but not paved either.

It is unfortunate that in this city, we don't really have any in between options. You can either scrape the bottom of the barrel at Canadian Tire. Or spend $1300 and up for a lbs bike. And at the bottom range, the components are very entry level.

Thank you all in advance for your input.
Nov 30, 2007
453 posts
65 upvotes
North York
I picked up this bike. I don't know much about bikes, particularly road bikes, but I know that for the price I probably wouldn't be able to find anything comparable and this one feels quite awesome.
I'm not really sure about the size though, I'm 6ft (184cm) and the bike feels a bit small? I pushed the seat up and back and it's not uncomfortable, but I only rode it for a few miles. Any thoughts? I'm not really keen on spending double the money for something like this just to get a bigger size.
Anybody in the same boat as me?
Jun 20, 2011
40 posts
31 upvotes
Victoria
stasik wrote:
Apr 30th, 2017 11:57 am
I picked up this bike. I don't know much about bikes, particularly road bikes, but I know that for the price I probably wouldn't be able to find anything comparable and this one feels quite awesome.
I'm not really sure about the size though, I'm 6ft (184cm) and the bike feels a bit small? I pushed the seat up and back and it's not uncomfortable, but I only rode it for a few miles. Any thoughts? I'm not really keen on spending double the money for something like this just to get a bigger size.
Anybody in the same boat as me?
The manufacturer lists the max height for that bike at 5'9". Riding too small of a bike will cause back pain as the top tube is too short causing you to crouch over too much. That is if you are truly getting correct leg extension when you pedal. If you aren't, and I suspect this, you will get some nasty knee pains.
Aug 17, 2013
18 posts
Carleton Place
Answers wrote:
Apr 28th, 2017 7:54 pm
I bought the XC29 for $399 at the Kingston Costco. Great bike. I was worried that it would be too small. I`m 6'2". It is very comfortable to ride and no issues so far. I`m not an expert and it`s is my first "modern " bike in 20 years.
Dec 10, 2005
710 posts
284 upvotes
Northrock CTM is already gone from costco.ca. If you want to buy online, probably should not wait for too long.
Apr 29, 2017
3 posts
Since the CTM is now OOS, how is it's replacement? The XCW?

I bought an SRC1 but it was my first Road bike, I liked it but the lack of suspension bothered me. The roads near me could definitely use some improvement.

I'm looking for a bike mostly for commuting in the city on rough roads and some hills. Would the XCW be better than the SRC1 or the XC29
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel