Expired Hot Deals

[Costco] Northrock Road Bike SCR1 $570

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 16th, 2017 4:54 pm
Feb 22, 2009
278 posts
67 upvotes
Ottawa
Picked up the XCW for the wife and an XC27 for myself this weekend. As other people have mentioned, it's best to double check all the assembly steps by following the instructions yourself (you'll need allen keys and a wrench as the ones from the original box are not included with the pre-assembled bikes).

The XCW handlebar, left pedal and front reflector were all loose and had to be tightened. The rear rotor was rubbing against one of the brake pads as well so I removed the brake from the frame, engaged the brake lever fully and re-attached it but still had to use the allen key adjustment to open the pads up so it wasn't rubbing anymore. The XC27 still had a plastic protector cap lodged between the fork and the wheel that should have been removed before assembly.
Jul 20, 2016
419 posts
148 upvotes
Toronto
coffeebean wrote:
Apr 29th, 2017 12:15 pm
Many articles list 500-600$ bikes as entry level.
Coming from a CT Supercycle. I took the plunge on the MEC Midtown for $600 (supposedly discounted from 800). Being my first purchased bike, I hope it wasn't a horrible mistake!

Most lay ppl would consider buying only 100-200 $ bikes. If $500-600 is entry level, then where are 100-200$ bikes, did they not leave the factory?
kidding aside, besides weight, what extras make the difference?
Not sure if it makes easier to understand, but think of smartphones. You can buy a cheap Chinese branded for like 50 dollars (on AliExpress, geekbuy, dealextreme), and can buy like an iPhone 7 plus for 1,300 - Some can say they do exactly the same things: they call, they have similar apps, camera, wifi, gps... what make the difference?

Brands are a factor in Bikes as well, but each of parts will have impact on price. worth mentioning that isn't hard to see bikes costing more than brand new cars.
On a high end bike (from a 2-3K to a 20K+?), probably weight difference and some gizmo here and there, but from 100 to 500 bike is brutal, it's like the smartphone comparison. I'm not expert in any means, but I kinda like bikes.

I'd separate a bike in 3 parts (that for road, hybrid, city... MTB/DH styles you'd need to count suspensions as well):

* Frame set (basically frame+fork),
* Wheel set (rims, spokes, hubs),
* Group set ("gears" or Derailleur, brakes, crank set...)

As you can see, each part is actually made by a whole bunch of parts... but normally sold as each set. Also didn't include some other stuff like saddle, seat post, handlebar, stem, pedals, tires ... (and those add lots on price, but more visible on mid to high end game);

* Frame set: Most of cheap bikes' frame are steel made. which means heavier. but apart of that, I'd be a bit concerned on quality as well. I've seen some scary welding on those... entry level will be normally Aluminium made, and better quality. from there you can find some other materials, high end ones normally will have carbon fibre, but you can see some other materials for different bikes (like titanium) - from the initial models you can see a difference on weight and geometry, high end might even consider aerodynamics stuff (those track bikes for instance, crazy stuff!)
* Wheel set: You probably won't consider much as well, maybe starting on 1.5K, but your MEC midtown have way better wheels than probably any Canadian Tire one. High end will be lighter, have better bearings, looks better and even aero as well
* Group set: we basically have 3 brands Shimano, SRAM and Campagnolo (this latter probably just on road high end bikes). This is where we (non super pro individuals) can see a major price difference, and A $100-200 probably will have a cheapo rip off chinese branded. each brand will have some hierarchy; That hierarchy will change: number of speeds (8 to 11 on Road, 6 to 10? on MTB); Weight and Durability (differently from most of stuff, you'll see a decline in durability on higher end groups!)
huuuu! (¬'-')¬ C-('-'Q) straight!
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2005
1482 posts
629 upvotes
savingforever wrote:
Apr 28th, 2017 2:04 am
Went to Costco today to try it out but it was too high for me. Just FYI, I'm 5'6 with a 30" inseam. Maybe they had a larger version at my Costco? But it was definitely too high for me even with the seat at the lowest setting. My crotch was practically on the top tube of the frame when standing tip toe.
We are the exact same height and inseam. Which bike are you talking about exactly? I tried the XCW and I could stand comfortably. Same with the XC27- but it was closer to the crotch. I didn't get to try the CTM, so I'd like to know what bikes you're talking about.
Best Deals: Star Alliance Silver without even flying= FREE
Fido CAN/USA Unlimited, CID/VM/SMS 2gb $33/month
3 Logitech X-230 Speakers (150% PM at Staples) = $13 each (I bought 3!)[/B]
Feb 22, 2009
278 posts
67 upvotes
Ottawa
deal_king wrote:
May 1st, 2017 8:47 pm
We are the exact same height and inseam. Which bike are you talking about exactly? I tried the XCW and I could stand comfortably. Same with the XC27- but it was closer to the crotch. I didn't get to try the CTM, so I'd like to know what bikes you're talking about.
If you're the same height/inseam and could stand comfortably over both the XCW and XC27, "savingforever" likely tried out the XC29 (29" tires). The XCW is a 16" frame and the top bar angles a bit downwards as it's a hybrid. The XC27 is an 18" frame and the top bar is more horizontal as it's a mountain bike. The CTM is the same size frame and tires as the XC27 so it would likely fit you fine as well.
Feb 22, 2012
101 posts
8 upvotes
SURREY
deal_king wrote:
May 1st, 2017 8:47 pm
Sorry, I should have clarified. I tried the road bike (SCR1). I didn't try the hybrids since I already have one of those and was hoping to get a road bike but the SCR1 at Costco was too big--if only they carried the smaller version in store.
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2011
1738 posts
4884 upvotes
Laval
Guys how do you rate the XCW? I want to get one for my wife.

Any XC27 or SCR1 left in Montreal? In Boisbriand there's only XCW.
Dec 10, 2005
717 posts
286 upvotes
Rlcky wrote:
May 3rd, 2017 10:48 pm
Guys how do you rate the XCW? I want to get one for my wife.

Any XC27 or SCR1 left in Montreal? In Boisbriand there's only XCW.
I saw xc27 (or maybe xc29 don't remember exactly which one) at the Bridge Costco
Mar 5, 2006
144 posts
10 upvotes
Montreal
Hey guys,

I need some advice..

My local bike store has a Specialized Allez E5 for sale at $700. Between this and the Northrock SCR1, which is the better buy?
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2011
1738 posts
4884 upvotes
Laval
for those who has the XCW and CTM any review/comment?

I will prefer to go with Cross terrain bike as we don't do much camping or mounting bike.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2004
7000 posts
756 upvotes
MrFrugal1 wrote:
Apr 21st, 2017 12:14 am
LOL.
The kickstand is not a serious issue, and yes, it can easily be removed.

I have a hate on for kickstands. It originates from my childhood, when wonky, wobbly, squeaky kickstands were forced upon me by parents that demanded order. Bikes weren't allowed to be leaned against anything; they had to stand on their own.
And they ALWAYS end up tripping/falling over, so leaning against something or just on the floor is better.
Unless you get one of those sturdy dual leg kick stand..
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2004
7000 posts
756 upvotes
Phils wrote:
Apr 28th, 2017 12:10 pm
I usually pop a minimum of 2 or 3 spokes every season.
On the other hand, I do a lot of riding.

I'm also about 170 lbs.
Low quality spokes? Bent rim/uneven spoke tensions?
If a rim is not true and the only thing keeping it straight are the spokes, then you'll end up with overly tight and overly loose spokes, continuous cycle of breakage as the spokes loosens up and the remaining takes even more load and ends up breaking.
If the wheel has a decent hub and rim is still in good shape, I would release tension on all the spokes and check the rim for trueness, if the rim is true, I would replace all the spokes with quality DT Swiss or Wheelsmith ones.
If not, try to bend the rim back into shape or replace it (or get an new wheel)
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2004
7000 posts
756 upvotes
Tcon1234 wrote:
Apr 29th, 2017 9:50 pm
Hey guys,

Happy to see so many replies.

I'm very interested in this bike. I live in Montreal, Quebec. The Shimano gear set used is the second lowest one. On most bikes from bike shops around here, those are found on the $1200+ bikes.

This would be my first bike. I also like their hybrid. I want to save my money for when I get better and really appreciate the better components of a lbs bike.

How do you think this bike would handle with thicker tires? Like cyclocross tires. I'm thinking of going on Mount Royal. Not really a trail but not paved either.

It is unfortunate that in this city, we don't really have any in between options. You can either scrape the bottom of the barrel at Canadian Tire. Or spend $1300 and up for a lbs bike. And at the bottom range, the components are very entry level.

Thank you all in advance for your input.
There's always BikesDirect but not as interesting now with the low CAD (and Trump, crossing the border, etc...), Amazon.ca has a few decent bikes too.
I used to ship them across the border and pick em up at FreePortForwarding in Champlain.

I bought a RetroSpec AMOK v2 cross with 16 speeds, Shimano Claris STI, for $466, good quality, many sizes to choose from but does require assembly.
Chromoly steel (which is a quality steel compared to the crappy hi-tensile steel in dept store bikes)...because steel is real :) aluminum is too harsh to ride in the city, ok on a road bike for training on the track where stiffness is desirable for performance reason.

One more thing about hybrids and upright position: it may feel more confortable BUT ONLY FOR SHORT RIDES, < 15-30mins.
The saddle is really a saddle, it's not a SEAT, on an upright position bike, all your weight is on your butt, a properly fitted "bent over" geometry can be much more confortable if you rode 1h+ as your weight is balanced over the pedals and the handle bar, so you butt only sees 1/2 to 1/3 of your weight as opposed to close to 100%.

Also get a saddle of the proper width with not too much paddle, the more paddle, the more tissues get compressed and the the more it hurts! It only feels more confy at first.
For me, I find that a wider, flat saddle with minimal padding works best (like the ones for women), you'll want the saddle to be at least as wide as your sit bones.

https://www.amazon.ca/s/ref=nb_sb_noss? ... spec+cross

I've put full fenders, 700x25 and a rack on it, cross brake levers, it's my commuter.
Last edited by Daijoubu on May 4th, 2017 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feb 4, 2017
23 posts
12 upvotes
I purchased the CTM from the Costco in Kingston. If anyone has any specific questions I'm happy to answer them. I'm using it as a commuting bike on bumpy city roads.

First impressions are the the quality seems nice. The disk brakes are a huge plus. I've only ever had regular brakes before and the disc brakes are so much easier to adjust.

The quick release wheels are garbage and really struggled putting the front wheel back on when I got home because if it. Broke the plastic cover for the nut on the other side pretty much immediately. But once I got the wheel back on it was fine.

I'm 6'1" and with the seat all the way up it fits pretty well.

Gear ratio comments on here are correct. Going down hill i can't really pedal to go faster. Doesn't really bother me though since I'm not racing or anything.