[Costco] Northrock Road Bike SCR1 $570

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 16th, 2017 4:54 pm
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2005
3836 posts
344 upvotes
Montreal
Usually on the front wheel with rim brakes.

I should mention that my bike is about 5 years old and gets a lot of use. So far, I haven't popped any spokes this year but it's early and the weather has cut into my riding quite a bit. It's toward the end of the season that it tends to happen. The owner of my local bike shop that I've known for many years (who is brilliant BTW) believes there is nothing unusual in my situation.
Phils
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2004
7024 posts
758 upvotes
As long as he can make a few bucks replacing your spokes every now and then ;)
It's more a safety question as to avoid a catastrophic failure or having your brakes jam on you.

Do they break at the nipple or at the head/elbow?

Is it a typical 3x cross 36 or 32 spokes?
Could be also due to the way it's laced toghether, the spokes can be inbound/outbound ("trailling" or "leading")
Usually on the front with rim brakes, you'll want a symetrical lacing pattern with the outboud spoke facing forward

Here's an excellent guide on wheelbuilding, moreso than Sheldon's I find:
http://www.troubleshooters.com/bicycles/wheelbuilding/

Speaking of which..I just noticed that the cheap chinese wheelset that I have have a asymetrical front wheel lacing pattern, so odd! As if it was laced for disc brakes (or a rear wheel)
I guess I may have to relace that one at one point
Deal Addict
Apr 17, 2005
3710 posts
514 upvotes
Kitchener
If anyone is still interested in the road bike, pick one up soon. There's an * on the corner of the price tag meaning it will not be restocked when they sell out. 2 on the floor at Kitchener at $579.99.

I think I'll pass this time and keep riding my ill fitting old bike. :s
This space is intentionally left blank.
Feb 9, 2013
817 posts
435 upvotes
Ottawa
Has anyone seen the road bikes in any of the Ottawa Costcos? I looked at Merivale today but only found the XC27.
May 8, 2012
265 posts
29 upvotes
Ottawa
Daijoubu wrote:
May 4th, 2017 12:41 pm
There's always BikesDirect but not as interesting now with the low CAD (and Trump, crossing the border, etc...), Amazon.ca has a few decent bikes too.
I used to ship them across the border and pick em up at FreePortForwarding in Champlain.

I bought a RetroSpec AMOK v2 cross with 16 speeds, Shimano Claris STI, for $466, good quality, many sizes to choose from but does require assembly.
Chromoly steel (which is a quality steel compared to the crappy hi-tensile steel in dept store bikes)...because steel is real :) aluminum is too harsh to ride in the city, ok on a road bike for training on the track where stiffness is desirable for performance reason.

One more thing about hybrids and upright position: it may feel more confortable BUT ONLY FOR SHORT RIDES, < 15-30mins.
The saddle is really a saddle, it's not a SEAT, on an upright position bike, all your weight is on your butt, a properly fitted "bent over" geometry can be much more confortable if you rode 1h+ as your weight is balanced over the pedals and the handle bar, so you butt only sees 1/2 to 1/3 of your weight as opposed to close to 100%.

Also get a saddle of the proper width with not too much paddle, the more paddle, the more tissues get compressed and the the more it hurts! It only feels more confy at first.
For me, I find that a wider, flat saddle with minimal padding works best (like the ones for women), you'll want the saddle to be at least as wide as your sit bones.

https://www.amazon.ca/s/ref=nb_sb_noss? ... spec+cross

I've put full fenders, 700x25 and a rack on it, cross brake levers, it's my commuter.

Hey I'm interested in getting the retrospec amok-16 based on your writeup and since the Costco hybrid feels a bit too small. What sizing would you recommend? I'm 6'1". I guess I'm just not sure whether to go with 54cm (Medium) or 58cm (Large).
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2014
1861 posts
390 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
manu117 wrote:
May 18th, 2017 11:54 am
Hey I'm interested in getting the retrospec amok-16 based on your writeup and since the Costco hybrid feels a bit too small. What sizing would you recommend? I'm 6'1". I guess I'm just not sure whether to go with 54cm (Medium) or 58cm (Large).
You should definitely go for Large... You could probably even fit the XL.
Dec 10, 2005
717 posts
286 upvotes
Got CTM and rode it for 20KM. The gear ratio doesn't let me go as fast as I want... The difference between 2nd and 3rd chain ring is a bit too small.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2004
7024 posts
758 upvotes
Sizing and geometry:

From: https://www.retrospecbicycles.com/produ ... cross-bike

General rule of thumb is to use the stand over height, my inseam is about 30" and I ride the 54cm (31.5"), if you have longer torso/arms, get one size above?
I'll agree with djdestroyer, if you're 6'1, Large or even XL depending on your proportion
dcxx wrote:
May 18th, 2017 12:30 pm
Got CTM and rode it for 20KM. The gear ratio doesn't let me go as fast as I want... The difference between 2nd and 3rd chain ring is a bit too small.
Pedal faster lol? Try 80-120 RPM, that's spinning level ;)
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
10403 posts
1572 upvotes
Ottawa
Daijoubu wrote:
May 18th, 2017 12:31 pm
General rule of thumb is to use the stand over height, my inseam is about 30" and I ride the 54cm (31.5"), if you have longer torso/arms, get one size above?
I'll agree with djdestroyer, if you're 6'1, Large or even XL depending on your proportion
one thing that should be mentioned just in case people don't understand what inseam is....using your pants inseam measurement isn't the best way to measure, you should use the following way.

Measure Your Inseam

The most important measurement when sizing a bike is your inseam length. Don't base your inseam simply on your jeans size. The more precise, the better.
•Stand with your back against a wall and spread your feet 6-8" apart.
•Place a book between your legs and up against the wall, spine up; raise it until snug against your crotch (this mimics your bike seat).
•Have another person measure from the top of the book (spine) down to the floor.
this will give you the actual inseam that you can compare to the standover height. This ensures that you can straddle your bike properly with feet on the ground.
Honey, I can't go to bed yet. Somebody is wrong on the Internet!
Apr 29, 2017
3 posts
I recently bought the SRC1 and someone stole the back wheel. How much is it to get things replaced, the hub/cuff/wheel/gears?
May 8, 2012
265 posts
29 upvotes
Ottawa
djdestroyer wrote:
May 18th, 2017 12:13 pm
You should definitely go for Large... You could probably even fit the XL.

Thanks for the reply! Another question, the standover height for the XL seems much much higher than that of the L despite the measurements not being wildly different. Why is that? I guess between those two sized, I'd go for the L given the standover height. I'm currently using a Specialized Hard Rock Sport in size 21, which seems to have a similar height. Here are the specs:

SEAT TUBE LENGTH, CENTER TO TOP 533mm
TOP TUBE LENGTH (HORIZONTAL) 640mm
TOP TUBE LENGTH (ACTUAL) 610mm
CHAINSTAY LENGTH 450mm
BOTTOM BRACKET DROP 68.5mm
BOTTOM BRACKET HEIGHT 301mm
HEAD TUBE LENGTH 130mm
HEAD TUBE ANGLE 71°
SEAT TUBE ANGLE (ACTUAL) 72°
SEAT TUBE ANGLE (EFFECTIVE) 73°
WHEEL BASE 1136mm
STACK 653mm
REACH 440mm
STANDOVER HEIGHT 858mm
HANDLEBAR WIDTH 660mm
STEM LENGTH 100mm
CRANK LENGTH 175mm
SEATPOST LENGTH 400mm
Jul 20, 2011
101 posts
18 upvotes
Toronto
iflyplanes wrote:
May 16th, 2017 9:23 pm
Has anyone seen the road bikes in any of the Ottawa Costcos? I looked at Merivale today but only found the XC27.
I thin I saw this in Barrhaven
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2004
7024 posts
758 upvotes
manu117 wrote:
May 22nd, 2017 8:59 am
Thanks for the reply! Another question, the standover height for the XL seems much much higher than that of the L despite the measurements not being wildly different. Why is that? I guess between those two sized, I'd go for the L given the standover height. I'm currently using a Specialized Hard Rock Sport in size 21, which seems to have a similar height. Here are the specs:

SEAT TUBE LENGTH, CENTER TO TOP 533mm
TOP TUBE LENGTH (HORIZONTAL) 640mm
TOP TUBE LENGTH (ACTUAL) 610mm
CHAINSTAY LENGTH 450mm
BOTTOM BRACKET DROP 68.5mm
BOTTOM BRACKET HEIGHT 301mm
HEAD TUBE LENGTH 130mm
HEAD TUBE ANGLE 71°
SEAT TUBE ANGLE (ACTUAL) 72°
SEAT TUBE ANGLE (EFFECTIVE) 73°
WHEEL BASE 1136mm
STACK 653mm
REACH 440mm
STANDOVER HEIGHT 858mm
HANDLEBAR WIDTH 660mm
STEM LENGTH 100mm
CRANK LENGTH 175mm
SEATPOST LENGTH 400mm
You're right that the standover height for the XL is way off, given the measurements of the top tube and seat tube lenght increases of only 2cm, the standover should be only about an inch higher.
You may want to contact Retrospec to find out the correct standover for the XL, the 33" of the L is still not as tall as your 21" Hardrock
Aug 26, 2005
454 posts
280 upvotes
Just in case anyone in Calgary is looking for the xc27, it's no longer in the system but still available online. I was at the heritage location which had 2 scr left. No other bikes were on display.