Expired Hot Deals

[Costco] Northrock Road Bike SCR1 $570

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 16th, 2017 4:54 pm
Jan 26, 2009
19 posts
9 upvotes
Ottawa
I'll just chime in to agree that you'll have a very difficult time beating the price of the SCR1 on a similarly spec'd road bike. To put it in perspective, I bought a similarly configured bike (aluminum w. carbon fork, Triple Tiagra front/Sora rear) 13 years ago for $900. That bike (an Oryx, sadly a defunct brand) did 300km tours and spent a vacation climbing Italian hills, so the specs shouldn't hold you back. I would think that this would make an excellent commuter and century ride bike. It's impossible to know all the places they've cut on costs. Wheelset is likely one, but then that's also one of the easiest things to upgrade. If you still like the bike after a year and want to give it some extra zing, you could get a pair of Shimano R501s for $160 online. (I wouldn't put anything further uprange on that on that frame.) Your first post purchase investment, however, should be a decent pair of lycra shorts. It'll make your long rides much more enjoyable.

If $600 is your price range, then the Costco roadbike is a good option. You might be able to find a used name brand bike for a similar price or some previous year's stock at a bike store, but frankly I think you're lucky to get something in the $800-900 range. You also might spend months looking instead of riding.

I do find that "Fitness bikes" - flat bar road bikes, which make excellent commuters do get discounted more than drop bar road bikes. If you don't need the multiple hand positions that's another alternative.

I'd be wary of the hybrid and mountain options. Disk brakes and suspensions are rarely both cheap and effective.

Whatever you do, enjoy your ride. There's still nothing like the freedom of a bicycle. Like H.G Wells said, "Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the human race."
Mar 12, 2016
664 posts
96 upvotes
It reminds me of my bike was stolen in downtown Montreal last year. Maybe I gonna buy another one.
Feb 9, 2013
794 posts
409 upvotes
Ottawa
cebowler wrote:
Apr 17th, 2017 9:22 pm
Perfectly adequate. The better athlete always wins even on a cheaper bike, though the industry tries to brainwash everyone. If 3 lbs on a bike matters that much to you then you'd better be at your ideal racing weight

+1. I've ridden countless events where some of the most out of shape people had the most expensive bikes and gear. Gives me a few laughs every time.

People, if this bike fits you, it's an excellent deal. You wouldn't even find used bikes with the same components for the same price.
Deal Addict
Apr 17, 2005
3669 posts
501 upvotes
Kitchener
theadonisking wrote:
Apr 18th, 2017 12:56 am
Pretty sure there is both handlebar brakes and lever brakes from the site description
There is no horizontal brake levers. Only vertical ones. The manufacturer website is outdated. See products in store or pictures posted in this thread.
This space is intentionally left blank.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
1550 posts
534 upvotes
KINGSTON
scouzer wrote:
Apr 18th, 2017 12:25 am
What makes this bike so much better than say, this?

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/ccm-o ... p.html#srp
That's the type of bike you buy and leave in your garage because it's nasty to ride. If you do ride it, something grinds, squeaks, wobbles or breaks, so you end up hating using it.
Even if you attempt to fix the issues, the components are of such low quality that the problems just return the next time you ride.

I wouldn't buy that CCM bike even if it was a quarter of that price.

I'm not being a "bike snob" here. I just get disheartened when people don't ride because they bought a piece of junk that falls apart, have probably never ridden anything but pieces of junk, and therefore think that's what a bicycle is like.

The conspiracy theorist in me likes to think that the automotive industry is actually involved in the dissemination of garbage bikes. It keeps would be cyclists off the roads.
May 8, 2012
264 posts
29 upvotes
Ottawa
It's too bad they don't have different sizes available. I'm 6"1' and the bike felt kinda small in store.
Oct 11, 2007
18 posts
1 upvote
Can any bike experts chime in here on the major differences between the cross-terrain and the road bike?

I was originally looking for a commuter bike which seems to be a more all in one: comfort, ability to go off-road and somewhat light weight.

https://www.costco.ca/Northrock-CTM-Cro ... 28363.html
vs.
https://www.costco.ca/Northrock-XCW-Cro ... 28365.html
vs.
https://www.costco.ca/Northrock-SCR1-Ro ... 28362.html
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2003
2760 posts
301 upvotes
MrFrugal1 wrote:
Apr 18th, 2017 6:02 am
That's the type of bike you buy and leave in your garage because it's nasty to ride. If you do ride it, something grinds, squeaks, wobbles or breaks, so you end up hating using it.
Even if you attempt to fix the issues, the components are of such low quality that the problems just return the next time you ride.

I wouldn't buy that CCM bike even if it was a quarter of that price.

I'm not being a "bike snob" here. I just get disheartened when people don't ride because they bought a piece of junk that falls apart, have probably never ridden anything but pieces of junk, and therefore think that's what a bicycle is like.

The conspiracy theorist in me likes to think that the automotive industry is actually involved in the dissemination of garbage bikes. It keeps would be cyclists off the roads.
I was just curious. I own something similar to that CCM.

I can tell you exactly why people ride bikes like my CCM. For me, budget is no major issue as long as I'm getting a good value.

But with bikes, bike snobs are a big problem. You can buy a $1000 bike, and you'll have 10 people saying it's garbage. You can buy a $5000 bike and you'll still have 5 people saying it's garbage.

For a layman like me, I think the depth of differences between bikes tends to get overstated by bike snobs. For example, a guy who rides for fun, say 30-40km a week, is not going to have the same needs as a guy training to race bikes and is riding 50km a day.

But forums seem to forget that. A guy will come onto a forum with a reasonable budget, let's say $500 and everyone will just reply "Don't bother, you're just going to get garbage!!!" which is really discouraging.

My CCM is 8 years old and totally falling apart but I can't decide on a new one, because I can't sift through honest experiences versus snob advice.
Last edited by scouzer on Apr 18th, 2017 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2003
2760 posts
301 upvotes
barabashka wrote:
Apr 18th, 2017 12:59 am
Pretty much all the components used.
Do you mind going into more detail, I'd love to know. Honestly.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4713 posts
598 upvotes
scouzer wrote:
Apr 18th, 2017 9:53 am
I was just curious. I own something similar to that CCM.

I can tell you exactly why people ride bikes like my CCM. For me, budget is no major issue as long as I'm getting a good value.

But with bikes, bike snobs are a big problem. You can buy a $1000 bike, and you'll have 10 people saying it's garbage. You can buy a $5000 bike and you'll still have 5 people saying it's garbage.

For a layman like me, I think the depth of differences between bikes tends to get overstated by bike snobs. For example, a guy who rides for fun, say 30-40km a week, is not going to have the same needs as a guy training to race bikes and is riding 50km a day.

But forums seem to forget that. A guy will come onto a forum with a reasonable budget, let's say $500 and everyone will just reply "Don't bother, you're just going to get garbage!!!" which is really discouraging.

My CCM is 8 years old and totally falling apart but I can't decide on a new one, because I can't sift through honest experiences versus snob advice.
I dont think people are being snobs, t all comes down to use case, The guys suggesting you spend 1000+$ probably ride for at least 100km+/week, other people buy a bike and ride it a couple times a year, I dont think a cheap CCM is a bad idea for the latter but for sure you are wasting your money if you are in the former.

I'm surprised you got 30-40km a week on your CCM, I went through a few of those and I was lucky if they lasted 2 or 3 rides before I ran into a number of different problems, granted Im a heavy rider, this bike seems like it would be a great bike/value for someone in that category.
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2003
2760 posts
301 upvotes
SpicYMchaggis wrote:
Apr 18th, 2017 10:17 am
I dont think people are being snobs, t all comes down to use case, The guys suggesting you spend 1000+$ probably ride for at least 100km+/week, other people buy a bike and ride it a couple times a year, I dont think a cheap CCM is a bad idea for the latter but for sure you are wasting your money if you are in the former.

I'm surprised you got 30-40km a week on your CCM, I went through a few of those and I was lucky if they lasted 2 or 3 rides before I ran into a number of different problems, granted Im a heavy rider, this bike seems like it would be a great bike/value for someone in that category.
My CCM is not in good shape, lol. And it did go for a tune up at the bike mechanic once after the moving company wrecked it pretty good. I'd say it's a certified beater now, haha.

Hopefully my local Costco has this bike, I don't want to ship it here and assemble it myself. Not very handy.