• Apr 29th, 2017 3:40 pm
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
1449 posts
439 upvotes
KINGSTON
scouzer wrote:
Apr 18th, 2017 9:53 am
Do you mind going into more detail, I'd love to know. Honestly.

The bottom bracket (where the pedals connect to the frame)- consists of loose bearings that run in bearing races, and usually has a cheap seal, (or no seal at all) to keep out moisture. Ride frequently in the rain, and the bearings rust out. Better bikes use a sealed cartridge Image This UN 55 is an inexpensive one, but it probably would cost CCM $3 to use it.

Same deal with the headset (where the fork attaches to the frame);

The entire wheel set (rims, hubs, spokes); The cheapest rims are made of chromed steel- Heavy, and they rust out. (This CCM has alloy rims, I believe, but the alloy composition varies) Typically, the spokes on these bikes are plated steel, rather than stainless. If the spoke nipples rust (and they always do, it seems), it makes it almost impossible to fix a "wobbly", or out of true wheel without replacing the spoke and nipple.

Shifters and derailleurs ; Poorly riveted together pivots on the derailleurs, or derailleurs that were left over from some other model bike, and then simply slapped on a different model, even though it only "sort of" has the same travel distance. Shifters that are mainly plastic and little lubrication.

So pretty much everything about this CCM is junky.
I've had to repair countless CCMs and similar 'dollar store' bikes, over the years. The kid's bikes (24" wheels and under) are even worse, with, amongst other horrors, one piece cranks or "pedal assemblies" that inevitably become loose.
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2011
1441 posts
3210 upvotes
Laval
for those from MTL, because of our roads are shitty, it's better to get a hybrid bike instead of the road bike.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
1449 posts
439 upvotes
KINGSTON
scouzer wrote:
Apr 18th, 2017 9:53 am
I was just curious. I own something similar to that CCM.

I can tell you exactly why people ride bikes like my CCM. For me, budget is no major issue as long as I'm getting a good value.

But with bikes, bike snobs are a big problem. You can buy a $1000 bike, and you'll have 10 people saying it's garbage. You can buy a $5000 bike and you'll still have 5 people saying it's garbage.

For a layman like me, I think the depth of differences between bikes tends to get overstated by bike snobs. For example, a guy who rides for fun, say 30-40km a week, is not going to have the same needs as a guy training to race bikes and is riding 50km a day.

But forums seem to forget that. A guy will come onto a forum with a reasonable budget, let's say $500 and everyone will just reply "Don't bother, you're just going to get garbage!!!" which is really discouraging.

My CCM is 8 years old and totally falling apart but I can't decide on a new one, because I can't sift through honest experiences versus snob advice.
$500 normally is on the very bottom threshold of a decent bike. Even then, you may be just running into "name value" versus actual good components. Or you may have a few select "good" components, and the rest, not so much. Many of the major bike manufacturers do vertical integration (i.e. ; make it themselves) of certain components in order to keep costs down. Specialized does this, especially with their wheel hubs, seat posts, handlebars, etc.

This Costco bike has good components. Remember, it needs to fit you as well, and also fit the type of riding you want it for. Personally, I don't like a drop bar or "racing" type bike if I'm commuting in heavy traffic, mainly because of the brake lever position.

Tell any bike snobs you meet to bugger off. If you've been using your POS bike daily for that long, you've earned my respect.
You should get into espionage; if you were ever to get caught and tortured, they'll never get anything from you, since you've been battle hardened.
May 11, 2014
47 posts
14 upvotes
Oakville, ON
ThaaCandyman wrote:
Apr 18th, 2017 9:44 am
Can any bike experts chime in here on the major differences between the cross-terrain and the road bike?

I was originally looking for a commuter bike which seems to be a more all in one: comfort, ability to go off-road and somewhat light weight.

https://www.costco.ca/Northrock-CTM-Cro ... 28363.html
vs.
https://www.costco.ca/Northrock-XCW-Cro ... 28365.html
vs.
https://www.costco.ca/Northrock-SCR1-Ro ... 28362.html
The second one is for women. Comfort, ability to go off-road - get the hybrid bike. Better for commuting too, more control. IMO.
The road bike is a good value, shimano components, carbon fork, too bad there is only one size. There are some nice GT bikes at sportchek also.
As for bikesdirect, I purchased 2 bikes from them. It is a hassle, you have to cross the border, pay duty, assemble the bike, no warranty, is not for everyone. For me it worked great thou, very happy.
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2003
2755 posts
290 upvotes
Appreciate all the detailed responses guys. I'm going to try and find the hybrid version in store - I appreciate the ability to go on bumpy side trails, where a road bike likely would suffer.
Dec 30, 1969
77 posts
20 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
MrFrugal1 wrote:
Apr 18th, 2017 12:33 pm
$500 normally is on the very bottom threshold of a decent bike. Even then, you may be just running into "name value" versus actual good components. Or you may have a few select "good" components, and the rest, not so much. Many of the major bike manufacturers do vertical integration (i.e. ; make it themselves) of certain components in order to keep costs down. Specialized does this, especially with their wheel hubs, seat posts, handlebars, etc.
snowbrush wrote:
Apr 18th, 2017 12:44 pm
The second one is for women. Comfort, ability to go off-road - get the hybrid bike. Better for commuting too, more control. IMO.
The road bike is a good value, shimano components, carbon fork, too bad there is only one size. There are some nice GT bikes at sportchek also.
As for bikesdirect, I purchased 2 bikes from them. It is a hassle, you have to cross the border, pay duty, assemble the bike, no warranty, is not for everyone. For me it worked great thou, very happy.
Would either of you be able to provide input on whether this GT bike at sport chek is good value for the price?

https://www.sportchek.ca/categories/sho ... 1940183879

Thinking of possibly getting that one.

Specs of bike:
http://www.gtbicycles.com/usa_en/2016/b ... ranseo-4-0
Last edited by winston1234 on Apr 18th, 2017 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May 31, 2011
141 posts
161 upvotes
Looks like good value for an entry into road bikes or a backup.

Too bad it only comes in 18"/46cm. Probably a good fit if you have 30" inseam? Too small for me though.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
1449 posts
439 upvotes
KINGSTON
winston1234 wrote:
Apr 18th, 2017 1:35 pm
Would either of you be able to provide input on whether this GT bike at sport chek is good value for the price?

https://www.sportchek.ca/categories/sho ... 1940183879

Thinking of possibly getting that one.

Specs of bike:
http://www.gtbicycles.com/usa_en/2016/b ... ranseo-4-0
It looks reasonable. It has the approximate equivalent components as the Costco Northrock XCW, from what I can see.
You are looking for a woman's bike correct?

Now, I've heard some bad things about Sportchek's bike assemblies. I'm sure it varies from store to store, and I'm sure some of them have competent staff, but just remember, they are NOT a bicycle store.
Dec 30, 1969
77 posts
20 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
MrFrugal1 wrote:
Apr 18th, 2017 2:01 pm
It looks reasonable. It has the approximate equivalent components as the Costco Northrock XCW, from what I can see.
You are looking for a woman's bike correct?

Now, I've heard some bad things about Sportchek's bike assemblies. I'm sure it varies from store to store, and I'm sure some of them have competent staff, but just remember, they are NOT a bicycle store.
Looking for a hybrid for mainly my wife I guess. Other than size and the bar sloping downwards, is there any differences between male and female bikes?

I have a cheap $200 mountain bike purchased from Sport Chek years ago. It is heavy, impossible to tune properly but still working so i thought wife and i could bike together and switch bikes along route (wont be able to keep up otherwise) until my bike finally dies. Dont really have budget for 2 bikes at this point..
Oct 11, 2007
16 posts
1 upvote
Does Costco offer a good hybrid option?

I don't see any Northrock hybrids on Costco's website
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
1449 posts
439 upvotes
KINGSTON
winston1234 wrote:
Apr 18th, 2017 2:19 pm
Looking for a hybrid for mainly my wife I guess. Other than size and the bar sloping downwards, is there any differences between male and female bikes?

I have a cheap $200 mountain bike purchased from Sport Chek years ago. It is heavy, impossible to tune properly but still working so i thought wife and i could bike together and switch bikes along route (wont be able to keep up otherwise) until my bike finally dies. Dont really have budget for 2 bikes at this point..
The women specific bikes tend to have different geometry, typically with a shorter top tube. (Although, some just have purdy girlie colours). They sometimes will also have a wider saddle.

You could put some hybrid or smooth tread tires on your mountain bike, which will decrease your rolling resistance, but I doubt you'll want to put any money into that bike.
At the least, make sure your tires are inflated properly. I saw a dozen cyclists over Easter weekend with half flat tires. Makes me want to scream...
Aug 16, 2011
587 posts
248 upvotes
NORTH YORK
I just purchased this bike, and it feels nice. It's light but it's assembled by a moron as the front wheel is closer to the right pad than the left and the derailleur doesn't work at all. Neither the front or back.

Should I exchange it with another one at costco or should I take it to a bike shop and get it adjusted?
Nov 18, 2006
303 posts
47 upvotes
CanKon wrote:
Apr 18th, 2017 3:40 pm
Should I exchange it with another one at costco or should I take it to a bike shop and get it adjusted?
Or third option (and not just being a troll) ,,, learn how to adjust yourself... In the long run, you will be better off!

But getting a bike shop to get official check done isn't a bad idea,,, however they probably won't be as friendly as they would have, if you bought the bike there...
Feb 15, 2008
340 posts
264 upvotes
mathomas wrote:
Apr 18th, 2017 4:36 pm
Or third option (and not just being a troll) ,,, learn how to adjust yourself... In the long run, you will be better off!

But getting a bike shop to get official check done isn't a bad idea,,, however they probably won't be as friendly as they would have, if you bought the bike there...
Well, bought 3 entry level Giant brand bikes from local bike shop in GTA last year. One of the bike have some gear shifting problem. Brought it back twice and still having the same issue. The 2nd time i brought it back, they were not friendly at all and gave me a feeling that they will rather spend time on those $2000+ bikes than my $700 bike. That's how it get me start to do a lot of research and watching Youtube on how to maintain/adjust your own bike.
Penalty Box
Jul 2, 2016
356 posts
141 upvotes
Anyone got the Northrock Hybrid bike? Does the suspension add a lot of extra weight and is this a reasonably light/fast bike? How does it compare to the similarly priced bikes at Sportchek like GT, Nakamura and Diadora. Costco's return policy is one compelling reason to sway me towards the Northrock. Lastly, whats the price for this bike in-store? Anyone seen it in the GTA?
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel