• Apr 29th, 2017 3:40 pm
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
1449 posts
439 upvotes
KINGSTON
CanKon wrote:
Apr 18th, 2017 3:40 pm
I just purchased this bike, and it feels nice. It's light but it's assembled by a moron as the front wheel is closer to the right pad than the left and the derailleur doesn't work at all. Neither the front or back.

Should I exchange it with another one at costco or should I take it to a bike shop and get it adjusted?
Chances are, you'll get another bike assembled by the same 'moron'.
I believe the individuals at Costco whom are responsible for setting up displays and assembling things like shower doors and knock down furniture, also assemble the bikes.
This could happen if you purchase it at any non-bicycle specific retailer.
Take it to a bike shop.
I was at a child oriented cycling event, doing safety checks on the bikes. One kid's brand new Supercycle, purchased the previous day, had the handle bars mounted in reverse. I wish I'd taken pictures...
Penalty Box
Jul 2, 2016
356 posts
141 upvotes
phuangk wrote:
Apr 18th, 2017 5:07 pm
Well, bought 3 entry level Giant brand bikes from local bike shop in GTA last year. One of the bike have some gear shifting problem. Brought it back twice and still having the same issue. The 2nd time i brought it back, they were not friendly at all and gave me a feeling that they will rather spend time on those $2000+ bikes than my $700 bike. That's how it get me start to do a lot of research and watching Youtube on how to maintain/adjust your own bike.
+1. Buying bikes at a bike store is no guarantee of quality or of good service. Perhaps you're odds are better but I'd still prefer the iron clad Costco warranty. Got a Giant 3 at Impala 2 years ago. First couple of rides and the friggen pedal comes totally detached. The store "fixed it" and on the very first ride the pedal comes apart again. After lengthy discussion store agrees to order a new pedal, which took over a month to get and install. Had the bike for 5 more months before a small beer store bag flies into the rear wheel on a blustery days, gets caught up and breaks the bracket for the rear derailleur and likely more parts. That one is on me so you're left without a bike.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
1449 posts
439 upvotes
KINGSTON
phuangk wrote:
Well, bought 3 entry level Giant brand bikes from local bike shop in GTA last year. One of the bike have some gear shifting problem. Brought it back twice and still having the same issue. The 2nd time i brought it back, they were not friendly at all and gave me a feeling that they will rather spend time on those $2000+ bikes than my $700 bike. That's how it get me start to do a lot of research and watching Youtube on how to maintain/adjust your own bike.
That's unfortunate you received poor service. Best thing to do is ask around as to where to get your bikes tuned up. There are plenty of great bike shops with extremely talented mechanics in the GTA. Just like any thing else, you can get excellent or horrible service.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
1449 posts
439 upvotes
KINGSTON
mathomas wrote:
Apr 18th, 2017 4:36 pm

But getting a bike shop to get official check done isn't a bad idea,,, however they probably won't be as friendly as they would have, if you bought the bike there...
If the bike shop is managed properly, they'll be even more friendly than if you bought the bike there. It's called Customer Service.
Costco has great customer service if you just want to return the bike, but they ain't gonna tune it up for you. Smart bike shops know this. Not so smart ones? Well, they just close up shop after a while.
Deal Addict
Apr 17, 2005
3483 posts
421 upvotes
Kitchener
Two left on the floor at Kitchener Costco. Do they have more in the back? I don't know. Hilariously badly put together. One's handle bar was at a weird angle, the others handle bar wasn't even tightened. The brake release levers were wide open too.

That said, the bike does come with assembly instructions with lots of pictures and safety check list.
This space is intentionally left blank.
Feb 15, 2008
340 posts
264 upvotes
MrFrugal1 wrote:
Apr 18th, 2017 6:03 pm
That's unfortunate you received poor service. Best thing to do is ask around as to where to get your bikes tuned up. There are plenty of great bike shops with extremely talented mechanics in the GTA. Just like any thing else, you can get excellent or horrible service.
I am still debating that if i should bring my bikes back to the LBS where i purchase from for tune up.. they offer free life time basic tune up for any bikes purchased from them.
Also question for you all, last time when they service the gear shifting problem for my bike, they put my bike on the bike rack and use the point under the saddle to hang my bike on the rack. After they done service, i notice the paint on the seatpost under the saddle got scratch off badly, this shouldn't be normal, right?
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
1449 posts
439 upvotes
KINGSTON
phuangk wrote:
Apr 19th, 2017 5:03 pm
I am still debating that if i should bring my bikes back to the LBS where i purchase from for tune up.. they offer free life time basic tune up for any bikes purchased from them.
Also question for you all, last time when they service the gear shifting problem for my bike, they put my bike on the bike rack and use the point under the saddle to hang my bike on the rack. After they done service, i notice the paint on the seatpost under the saddle got scratch off badly, this shouldn't be normal, right?
No, they shouldn't have scratched the finish off your seat post. The repairs stands usually have rubber or soft plastic pads on the clamps.
I bring it to the attention of the shop owner, or at least the manager.
Nov 30, 2002
482 posts
22 upvotes
Downtown Toronto
patron wrote:
Apr 13th, 2017 1:30 pm
Also curious abotu this $399 Hybrid bike - it seems its silly for it to have shocks but otherwise might be a good buy. Can any pros chime in?
Both the road bike and the hybrid are awfully expensive for department store bikes. They do have some expensive components on them, but I can't see it being justified.

Specifically, the hybrid has a freewheel rear wheel. Nobody over 200lbs should be on one of those, you are guaranteed broken axles. At least the road bike has a cassette with freehub, a huge upgrade, but it's also way way more expensive.

As a rule of thumb, under $250 and department store bikes are hard to argue with. If that's your budget, it will do you. Over $400 and you really need to check out bike shops..
Aug 16, 2011
587 posts
248 upvotes
NORTH YORK
ripjohnnyc wrote:
Apr 19th, 2017 8:43 pm
These are manufacturer by giant.
Yes you are right. I just got back from a local bike shop (Giant dealer). He said this bike uses left over frames from the older Giant SCR1 bicycles. This bike also has the newest variation of the Sora Derailleur which is a huge upgrade according to him. He even said that this bike from a brand name would be $900+ and that if big retailers like Costco continue to sell these, it would hurt alot of bike shops. Apparently there have already been a pact ruling amongs the bike manufacturers to not allow big retailers to sell their bikes. Apparently Giant who owns Northrock isn't abiding...
Last edited by CanKon on Apr 19th, 2017 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nov 30, 2002
482 posts
22 upvotes
Downtown Toronto
SirLookout4Deals wrote:
Apr 19th, 2017 7:41 pm
How would a bike like this MEC Midtown fair against these Northrock Hybrids? https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5044-597/Midtown-Bicycle

Or this Giant Roam 3? http://www.giantlangley.com/en-ca/bikes ... 77/100765/
Those are both much better than the $400 at Costco, but they'd better be for $200 more!

The V-brakes on these bikes are good to great. I've been riding a front disc for the last few years, and I'm not a fan of mechanical discs--so that's another point against the Costco, even though in principle it is a higher end feature.

The 9 speed cassette on the MEC bike indicates it's overall going to be a higher end bike than the giant at 8 speeds. But, 9 speed (or 27 speed, if you prefer to talk about the total number of combinations possible) are going to be more expensive to maintain than 8 speed cassettes. Replacement chains are more expensive, replacement cassettes are more expensive, replacement shifters (if you ever have to do that) are more expensive..
(EDIT: Nice, eyeletted rims on the MEC bike, if you're a heavy rider, that's a really nice feature! Both bikes only 32 spokes though.. 36 would be better :P)

For the most part I don't think road riding requires suspension of any kind, but it is going to be a personal preference thing at some point. I guess, make sure you can set it to VERY stiff.
Apr 7, 2008
194 posts
88 upvotes
Toronto
Which store did you buy your bikes from? And what model Giant?

I was shopping recently for bikes and checked out many GTA bike stores. Obviously some had better customer service than others but the main difference I found between stores was the length and cost of bike service: 1 year free, 5 year free, lifetime service for $85 with 10% off accessories, or lifetime service for free. I liked the ones where I could test ride the most bikes the easiest and some will offer to replace the stem length, etc. to make sure you like the fit of the bike.
phuangk wrote:
Deal Fanatic
Jul 15, 2008
8069 posts
965 upvotes
Toronto
LukieC wrote:
Apr 18th, 2017 5:13 pm
Anyone got the Northrock Hybrid bike? Does the suspension add a lot of extra weight and is this a reasonably light/fast bike? How does it compare to the similarly priced bikes at Sportchek like GT, Nakamura and Diadora. Costco's return policy is one compelling reason to sway me towards the Northrock. Lastly, whats the price for this bike in-store? Anyone seen it in the GTA?
Tons of stock in Elgin Mills Costco in RH. I saw assembled ones and unassembled boxes. Don't recall the one with suspension but the road bike was 579.99
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2001
2164 posts
435 upvotes
GTA
ripjohnnyc wrote:
Apr 19th, 2017 8:43 pm
These are manufacturer by giant.
Giant is a *huge* company and makes frames for many other brands. Most of the aluminum frames out there are manufactured by Giant or one of the other large Taiwanese suppliers.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel