• Last Updated:
  • Jun 23rd, 2017 1:56 am
Feb 15, 2010
414 posts
221 upvotes
Surrey
teddy boom wrote:
Apr 19th, 2017 10:33 pm
Those are both much better than the $400 at Costco, but they'd better be for $200 more!

The V-brakes on these bikes are good to great. I've been riding a front disc for the last few years, and I'm not a fan of mechanical discs--so that's another point against the Costco, even though in principle it is a higher end feature.

The 9 speed cassette on the MEC bike indicates it's overall going to be a higher end bike than the giant at 8 speeds. But, 9 speed (or 27 speed, if you prefer to talk about the total number of combinations possible) are going to be more expensive to maintain than 8 speed cassettes. Replacement chains are more expensive, replacement cassettes are more expensive, replacement shifters (if you ever have to do that) are more expensive..
(EDIT: Nice, eyeletted rims on the MEC bike, if you're a heavy rider, that's a really nice feature! Both bikes only 32 spokes though.. 36 would be better :P)

For the most part I don't think road riding requires suspension of any kind, but it is going to be a personal preference thing at some point. I guess, make sure you can set it to VERY stiff.
Thanks for the info. I used to think bikes were simple, didn't know there was so much to think about. I'll give them both a go, I'd rather spend a bit more money for better quality.
Jan 31, 2011
4 posts
middle of nowhere
GoldCoast1 wrote:
Apr 20th, 2017 6:05 pm
Anyone seen it in Ottawa?

Also, is the kickstand a serious issue, or can it just be removed?
I saw 5 or 6 at Strandherd location about 10 days ago , but none left this past Monday when I was there.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
10066 posts
1327 upvotes
Ottawa
SirLookout4Deals wrote:
Apr 20th, 2017 7:32 pm
Thanks for the info. I used to think bikes were simple, didn't know there was so much to think about. I'll give them both a go, I'd rather spend a bit more money for better quality.
The MEC is nice and at that price, a good deal. After sales service at MEC should be pretty close to full service bike store. Definitely better than any Costco bike (cause questionable assembly) and you get sizes to choose from. Giant of course is a brand name, and you generally can't go wrong but MEC bikes often are good value when discounted.

I agree most people don't NEED suspension on the bike for city paths.
Sep 26, 2010
499 posts
43 upvotes
phuangk wrote:
Apr 20th, 2017 4:35 pm
I am 5'7" (170cm) and my height is at the borderline of S to M. I tried both size when I purchase my bike and i feel M size is more comfortable than the S size.
Another friend of mine bought a Giant Roam2 in S size and he is about 5'5".
BTW, Giant Roam2 2015 model Small size has 17" frame size.
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/ca/roam-2-2015
Good points. Many tall people (6'+) sometimes better suited for Medium-Large frame rather than Large or XL because their legs to torso proportions differ by alot.

Likewise medium may be better than small for 5'5" to 5'8" for same reasons. Weight of person matters a little too. Thin people can look at 1 size down frames (eg medium or med-large instead of pure large)

Problem with big box bikes is the limited size options. Though at $600 heck of a deal! If it fits.

Getting fitted properly at a local bike shop is still the best option IMO.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
10066 posts
1327 upvotes
Ottawa
the size recommendations that manufacturers give are just based on AVERAGE proportions. Based on my height, most manufacturers say I should fit their medium but most of my bikes are small except for one which feels better in a medium (yes I have a lot of different bikes)

Having somebody experienced with bike fitting is tremendous help in sizing and adjusting the fit (seat height/positioning, handlebar height/extension). Based on the charts alone, I would have ended up with the wrong bike. If the bike doesn't fit, it won't be as comfortable or efficient. For a road bike such as this, usually bike like this comes in about 5 sizes. Unless you log a lot of miles and already know what feels right and works for you, it's useful to have somebody help out with bike fitting.
Feb 4, 2017
14 posts
5 upvotes
I'm 6'1" but I tried the CTM bike in the store today and with the seat up pretty high I could only touch the floor with my toes. Seriously considering it as my bike got stolen last summer so I'm without one going into this summer. This would mainly be a commuting bike. Any issues anyone can foresee with size here? Anyone else going for this bike?
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
1502 posts
486 upvotes
KINGSTON
murtadi007 wrote:
Apr 20th, 2017 4:27 pm
Any opinions on the XC29 on the site? As a heavy dude wanting to slim down/be more active, I want to start biking 7.5km to and from work.
That's great that you want to start commuting by bike to work. 7.5 km is easily achievable, even for someone who's starting out. Not only will you get in shape, you'll save wads of cash not driving a car or taking public transit.

Any bike will do, even the XC29. The only issue of buying a bike on-line is, you can't try it out. In a way, it's like trying to buy shoes. Think about last time you went in to a shoe store, tried on a pair in your size, and said, "Too tight in the toes"' or "Too narrow". Happens to me every single time I buy shoes. Bikes are the same. I've test rode $2000 bikes that just didn't feel "right". Go to a local bike shop, and try out some bikes. If you are in Toronto, go to MEC.

If you are serious about commuting to work, you need to factor in weather. I'd only buy a bike that had the ability to add fenders. This means the bike has to have threaded "braze ons" to allow you to attach fenders easily. Often mountain bikes don't have them. I can't tell if the XC29 does.

Before moving out of Toronto, I commuted an 18km round trip across Danforth/Bloor , year round, for ten plus years. PM me if you think I can offer any further advice.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
1502 posts
486 upvotes
KINGSTON
etgohomeok wrote:
Apr 20th, 2017 10:48 pm
I'm 6'1" but I tried the CTM bike in the store today and with the seat up pretty high I could only touch the floor with my toes. Seriously considering it as my bike got stolen last summer so I'm without one going into this summer. This would mainly be a commuting bike. Any issues anyone can foresee with size here? Anyone else going for this bike?
It should be fine, size wise.
The gear ratios aren't super for a commuter, meaning, on a moderate decline you may be going faster than you can pedal.
Remember to buy a good quality lock, and use it.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
1502 posts
486 upvotes
KINGSTON
GoldCoast1 wrote:
Apr 20th, 2017 6:05 pm
Also, is the kickstand a serious issue, or can it just be removed?
LOL.
The kickstand is not a serious issue, and yes, it can easily be removed.

I have a hate on for kickstands. It originates from my childhood, when wonky, wobbly, squeaky kickstands were forced upon me by parents that demanded order. Bikes weren't allowed to be leaned against anything; they had to stand on their own.
May 13, 2012
231 posts
87 upvotes
Edmonton
Haven't had a bike since teenager years now I'm looking for a couple bikes to use with the wife while the weather around here permits, and got lots of good advice here from you guys, thanks for that.

I thought about the Northrock SCR1 Road Bike, but we plan on using the bikes on city roads as well as for camping going on bumpy side trails so I assume the road bike likely would not be ideal in this case. Having that in mind we've narrowed our options to either the Northrock CTM Cross-terrain Hybrid Bike or the Northrock XC27 Mountain Bike (or the XC29).

Being a layman I can't seem to figure out which one would be better for us, and not really sure there is any real discernible difference between he two bikes mentioned.

Again we are mainly looking for a bike with the ability to go off-road but also being comfort for the occasional city road use and would greatly appreciate any insight on which one of them would be better suit our need.

Northrock CTM Cross-terrain Hybrid Bike
https://www.costco.ca/Northrock-CTM-Cro ... 28363.html

Northrock XC27 Mountain Bike (or the XC29)
https://www.costco.ca/Northrock-XC27-Mo ... 28357.html
Apr 17, 2005
3553 posts
446 upvotes
Kitchener
I'm pretty sure they only included the kick stand so the bikes can free stand on the show room floor.
Cottoni wrote:
Apr 21st, 2017 12:43 am
Haven't had a bike since teenager years now I'm looking for a couple bikes to use with the wife while the weather around here permits, and got lots of good advice here from you guys, thanks for that.

I thought about the Northrock SCR1 Road Bike, but we plan on using the bikes on city roads as well as for camping going on bumpy side trails so I assume the road bike likely would not be ideal in this case. Having that in mind we've narrowed our options to either the Northrock CTM Cross-terrain Hybrid Bike or the Northrock XC27 Mountain Bike (or the XC29).

Being a layman I can't seem to figure out which one would be better for us, and not really sure there is any real discernible difference between he two bikes mentioned.

Again we are mainly looking for a bike with the ability to go off-road but also being comfort for the occasional city road use and would greatly appreciate any insight on which one of them would be better suit our need.

Northrock CTM Cross-terrain Hybrid Bike
https://www.costco.ca/Northrock-CTM-Cro ... 28363.html

Northrock XC27 Mountain Bike (or the XC29)
https://www.costco.ca/Northrock-XC27-Mo ... 28357.html
unless you go on single track MTB routes with lots of steep hills and go over lots of stones and tree roots, I'd go with the hybrid bike for bigger slimmer wheels and lighter frame.

Edit: weird, the hybrid bike is actually a pound heavier according to the specs. I'd still go for the bigger wheels unless you'll need to climb steep hills.
This space is intentionally left blank.
Sep 3, 2002
659 posts
179 upvotes
GTA
Yeah, the CTR is disappointingly heavy compared to the SCR1, like department store heavy. My only other concern was the fork, it can be adjusted but I didn't try to see how close it can get to a fixed fork. I'm gonna pass. There was only one at Brampton anyways.
Deal Addict
May 15, 2016
1092 posts
119 upvotes
I find bikes to be so unergonomic. I wish it was more upright while looking decent.
Aug 11, 2006
15 posts
2 upvotes
CanKon wrote:
Apr 19th, 2017 10:33 pm
He said this bike uses left over frames from the older Giant SCR1 bicycles.
I don't think so. I googled Giant's SCR1 bikes (2014, 2015, 2016) and none of them look like this Northrock SCR1.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
1502 posts
486 upvotes
KINGSTON
vivibaby wrote:
Apr 21st, 2017 9:44 am
I find bikes to be so unergonomic. I wish it was more upright while looking decent.
There are all types of bikes with different ride positions. Don't let the selection at Costco hold you back from cycling. "Comfort" bikes are the result of an aging population, who want a more relaxed, upright riding position.
If you want true ergonomics, a recumbent bike is the way to go. Unfortunately, they tend to be looked upon as the "Linux" of bicycles.
What is your definition of "looking decent"?