Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Costco

Northrock Road Bike SCR1 $570/XC29 $400/XC27 $380/XCW $370/CL5 $350/CTM $370/GS24 $260/XJ24 260$

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 4th, 2019 11:18 am
Nov 15, 2015
215 posts
483 upvotes
Ottawa
tunda11 wrote: Not so sure about that. I took my bike to Sportchek for service and they had no idea how to do a brake bleed. I'm pretty sure they are all amateurs there, just a random retail worker.
I hear ya, my sport Chek has a full time bike tech whom I spoke with for a while and definitely knows his stuff...I imagine not all locations will be the same
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
19713 posts
13577 upvotes
Ottawa
tylenol613 wrote: I hear ya, my sport Chek has a full time bike tech whom I spoke with for a while and definitely knows his stuff...I imagine not all locations will be the same
yes, Sportchek is highly variable for bike techs. Even if they have an experienced tech on site, there's no guarantee he/she would be the one that tunes all the bikes
Please update your profile to include your city https://forums.redflagdeals.com/ucp.php?i=ucp_profile&mode=profile_info
Jan 24, 2018
116 posts
73 upvotes
tylenol613 wrote: I hear ya, my sport Chek has a full time bike tech whom I spoke with for a while and definitely knows his stuff...I imagine not all locations will be the same
which location is that? I also bought the 2017 avalanche , will bring it to sport chek for assembly when I receive it
Oct 5, 2007
304 posts
354 upvotes
The 2018 avalanche sport at $599 + promotions is an awesome deal. I was really hoping that it would be the all around, mainly pavement bike for me. I was just planning on putting on a street friendly tire with a good center ridge and I'd be good to go. Yeah a hybrid is recommended for me but the skinnier tires of most hybrids coupled with an aluminum frame is just too harsh a ride for the odd bumpy dirt path , so Ive decided on a mountain bike. Most of my 5-10km rides are a mix of mostly pavement with stretches of light dirt trails

But..... since the GT handle bars can't be pulled up the riding position was just too aggressive. tried the large and xl and it made no difference. So now I have to try out some other mountain bikes for comfort ( but probably pay $200+ more than the GT for comparable components) ....or hold out for a chromoly frame hybrid which will give a more supple ride than aluminum and may make the skinny tires acceptable for me. I've had my eye on a jamis coda for a while but Id have to go to T.O. for a dealer, plus I dont think theres much room for a wider tire on them
Jan 18, 2005
360 posts
186 upvotes
Anyone else with the Avalanche whose lockout just keeps on spinning? It works but there's no positive stop at the lock or unlocked position...it just keeps spinning around with no stop. Other bikes with lockouts I've checked out didn't do this.

That and the fact that the handle bar height isn't adjustable is leaning me towards returning it in store.
May 9, 2006
11 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
I noticed something similar with woman's 2017 fork. The lockout knob was able to spin completely around without much indication of when it was engaged. I noticed that the knob handle on the 2018 version seems to stick out more, not easily allowing it to spin completely around.

Depending on how much height you need to adjust, you should be able to use spacers to raise/lower the bar. Seems as though only a single die spaces is assembled with the bike and the bar is at its highest arrangement. You can also invert the stem possibly to adjust the height even further.
Jan 18, 2005
360 posts
186 upvotes
Interesting. it's annoying because it makes it hard to know if it's actually locked out or not. Other Suntour XCT forks I looked at didn't do that.
May 9, 2006
11 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
The bikes from SportChek do come with 12 month servicing if you notice anything wrong so you may want to take it to them to check it out or even call up suntour and see what they have to say.
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2007
1770 posts
673 upvotes
Bedford
Just noticed the 29" Northrock mountain on clearance for $279 at the Dartmouth NS Costco. About 4 still in stock.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2011
1755 posts
1353 upvotes
Montreal
foggydayz wrote: The 2018 avalanche sport at $599 + promotions is an awesome deal. I was really hoping that it would be the all around, mainly pavement bike for me. I was just planning on putting on a street friendly tire with a good center ridge and I'd be good to go. Yeah a hybrid is recommended for me but the skinnier tires of most hybrids coupled with an aluminum frame is just too harsh a ride for the odd bumpy dirt path , so Ive decided on a mountain bike. Most of my 5-10km rides are a mix of mostly pavement with stretches of light dirt trails

But..... since the GT handle bars can't be pulled up the riding position was just too aggressive. tried the large and xl and it made no difference. So now I have to try out some other mountain bikes for comfort ( but probably pay $200+ more than the GT for comparable components) ....or hold out for a chromoly frame hybrid which will give a more supple ride than aluminum and may make the skinny tires acceptable for me. I've had my eye on a jamis coda for a while but Id have to go to T.O. for a dealer, plus I dont think theres much room for a wider tire on them
Or replace the stem with an adjustable one? Or one that is the angle and length you want
Oct 16, 2010
608 posts
814 upvotes
Toronto
baillieul wrote: Just noticed the 29" Northrock mountain on clearance for $279 at the Dartmouth NS Costco. About 4 still in stock.
That’s a nice price. Do you know how much is the 27”?
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2007
1770 posts
673 upvotes
Bedford
The 29 ER is too big for me, but I have my eyes open for the 27.5 to drop.
Images
  • upload.jpg
Oct 5, 2007
304 posts
354 upvotes
molybdenum wrote: Or replace the stem with an adjustable one? Or one that is the angle and length you want
definitely an option, thanks
Aug 30, 2017
262 posts
178 upvotes
GTA East - Durham
Anyone still run across a CTM in the eastern GTA?
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2011
1755 posts
1353 upvotes
Montreal
foggydayz wrote: definitely an option, thanks
There's a big selection at MEC and they're only about $19. Different angles, different lengths, adjustable, etc.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2011
1755 posts
1353 upvotes
Montreal
convotutor wrote: Finally got the bikes today.
Ordered the xc 27 and xcw for the gf.
Xc27 seems fine after assembling it and all however the xcw is missing the spacers on the front head tube and suspension... :(
Do you guys know if Costco would just order the missing parts or do i have to exchange the whole bike?
They have them at MEC for like two dollars each.
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2014
2641 posts
797 upvotes
Toronto, ON
convotutor wrote: Finally got the bikes today.
Ordered the xc 27 and xcw for the gf.
Xc27 seems fine after assembling it and all however the xcw is missing the spacers on the front head tube and suspension... :(
Do you guys know if Costco would just order the missing parts or do i have to exchange the whole bike?
According to the picture on the costco website, you have the correct number of spacers. I think this is bad assembly; the person did not screw down the top screw BEFORE tightening the two screws that prevent the handlebar from rotating around the stem of the fork. This is pretty bad as the cone shaped parts that hold the bearings in alignment have nothing holding them in place and the bearings would be free to just pop out of the head tube if you tried to ride it. Undo the two horizontal screws, tighten the top screw to compress the bearings; they have to be preloaded, and then tighten the two horizontal screws while making sure the handlebar is aligned with the front wheel.

http://img01.cp.aliimg.com/imgextra/i1/ ... 555859.jpg
Deal Guru
Jun 29, 2004
14353 posts
15717 upvotes
Oil Country
Ended up returned the XC27... it's a beautiful bike, but the gear issue(unable to change gears) I ran into was problem for me. I was going to exchange it in-store, but the location I went to didn't have stock, and they suggested I order it online again. On top of that, I'd probably have to pay about $100 to get it tuned properly, since I have no clue what I'm doing. Instead, I ended up buying a brand new 2016 Norco Storm 7.3 for $500 from a local store. It came assembled and ready to go. I can also bring it back to get tuned up one more time within the first year, so I'll wait until next Spring to do that.

The $380 price tag is great(for the XC27), but if you need to have your bike tuned up anyway that's probably another $100 you can tack on, which puts the total cost at around $480 plus tax. If only the derailleur needs tweaking, then that should be about $20-30. The stores I checked in Edmonton were charging $20 to make derailleur adjustments.

In the end, I figured I'd just shop around in town and see if I could find a bike that comes setup and ready to go for around $500, and that worked out better for me.
Sep 25, 2007
558 posts
190 upvotes
I returned a previous XCW due to a warp disc rotor and received another, however, this one appears to have a front wobble. The bead seat seems fine along the rim. Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated, not sure what's an acceptable level of wobble on this bike.
Last edited by rdrexman on May 30th, 2018 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.