Expired Hot Deals

[Costco] Northrock SR1 700C Road Bike 499.99$

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 8th, 2019 9:51 am
Aug 16, 2011
822 posts
504 upvotes
NORTH YORK
When you buy these take them to a reputable bike shop and have them do a tune up. Even better if htey can take it apart and rebuild it. I did it and it transformed the bike. The stem/handlebar into the head tube had zero lube. My guy removed it and lubed it up. The rear deraileur needed some adjustments. The quick release on the wheels broke and needed a replacememnt.

The bike has a superb frame and great shimano parts but its built like your typical big chain bike assembley.
Apr 8, 2010
133 posts
31 upvotes
Talked to the Northrock customer service, and their production manager called me. Apparently, the factory inadvertenly put the wrong shifter on the bike, they are not sure how many bikes may be affected. They will try to get a new shifter for me. For those who bought the bike, you may want to check the rear shifter model number.
Aug 13, 2004
729 posts
180 upvotes
Vancouver
I'm not sure where every has got this idea this bike is small. I'm 6'1" and feel perfectly fine on it. In fact I can still deflect the frame enough to cause chain rub so it's a ridiculous premise to me that I would want a larger frame. True I used to race but I ride this everywhere as locking up my other bikes anywhere public equates to stupid or too rich (not me). Anyway, I find the ride forgiving and the equipment is definitely low end however, properly tuned it works likely beyond the ability of most people who would look to purchase it. It's kind of the same thing a anyone wanting to buy a 600cc or larger motorcycle will likely never even approach the abilities of the bike......so most often it's a vanity or power delivery preference that lead to purchases of equipment beyond the abilities of the purchaser. This frame feels well built (wasn't the rumour it was made by Giant?) and I've been comfortable braking hard and descending at 65kph. The MOST important thing I can say about this bike is, if you're not confident in your mechanical aptitudes or knowledge of bike hardware, TAKE IT TO A PROFESSIONAL to essentially rebuild it. Seriously, I found the wheel cones loose on one wheel and over tightened on the other. The front derailleur was misaligned and the stops on the rear needed adjustment. I haven't bothered with the bottom bracket as I don't care if it self destructs for the price it would likely benefit from replacement anyway. The equipment is heavy but more than capable -- spending money to lighten this bike is wasteful - if you wanted a racing bike you'd buy one worth of that pursuit. Put a better seat on it, put your clipless pedals on, take off the reflectors, put on lights and enjoy the best ride at under 500 you can get....get lucky enough to find it on clearance and laugh for years. My freewheel bearings were also not perfect but when i got mine there were no more available so i took that on the chin and continue to endure the extra friction which would be imperceptible to most without holding the axle in your hands.
Jun 10, 2016
49 posts
146 upvotes
pcboy wrote:
Jul 19th, 2019 8:31 pm
What's the label of the shifter? If the label is SORA, I find it hard to believe it's 8 speed.... If it says Claris, then yes you got screwed by NorthRock.

Same thing here - mine says SORA but only clicks 7 times (8 speed)....
Apr 8, 2010
133 posts
31 upvotes
Contact the Northrock support, they are aware of the issue. I just received the replacement shifter, they will cover the cost of changing the shifter
Mar 13, 2007
11 posts
Calgary
Oh my gosh, sorry I didn't see this until now.

Yes I did have to send them a picture.