349 upvotes
Charlottetown
Bring back Coke!
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
8554 posts
5570 upvotes
Trudostan
I was taken aback when London Costcos changed to Pepsi sometime in August. I was a fan of the Nestea Ice Tea, now they have Brisk and it tastes somewhat watered down. The Pepsi also tastes somewhat watered down, I'm suspecting it may be an individual machine issue.
SAMSUNG SUCKS! NO SSD WARRANTY IN CANADA > https://forums.redflagdeals.com/has-any ... d-2098075/
May 2, 2010
386 posts
257 upvotes
In GTA, this was Coke x years. Would prefer that.
Deal Guru
Nov 30, 2009
12178 posts
603 upvotes
Toronto
Pepsi > Coke.
[QUOTE]I wish there was a way to know you're in the good old days before you've actually left them.[/QUOTE] ~Andy Bernard, The Office (U.S.)
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2009
3657 posts
1135 upvotes
Montreal
Pepsi, Coke ... not a fan of either. They switch to whoever offer them a better deal.
Deal Addict
May 25, 2009
1878 posts
424 upvotes
No more Fruitopia. My kid really misses the Fruitopia. He doesn't like anything else so now he has to drink water.
Dec 25, 2010
982 posts
359 upvotes
Vancouver
Disappointed by the change to Pepsi at Costco. I like Coke Zero. Diet Pepsi just does not taste the same.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 5, 2003
5068 posts
5010 upvotes
Toronto
Interesting recent article on Slate re: Pepsi vs. Coke: Pepsi Paradox: Why people prefer coke even though pepsi wins in taste tests

The gist of it is that Pepsi wins blind taste tests because most people prefer a sweeter drink, but Coke's branding and familiarity wins out when people actually make their purchase.

I'm a Coke drinker myself, as I find Pepsi TOO sweet. Oh well, there's Lemonade, Iced Tea or Root Beer for me at Costco now.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
8976 posts
2827 upvotes
Harveys, now costco. Anyone else switch to Pepsi? McDonalds? Burger King??
Deal Guru
Nov 30, 2009
12178 posts
603 upvotes
Toronto
calgaryhhr wrote: No more Fruitopia. My kid really misses the Fruitopia. He doesn't like anything else so now he has to drink water.
It looks like the real winner is your kid. +1 for water! :D
[QUOTE]I wish there was a way to know you're in the good old days before you've actually left them.[/QUOTE] ~Andy Bernard, The Office (U.S.)
Deal Addict
May 25, 2009
1878 posts
424 upvotes
LostInTruth wrote: It looks like the real winner is your kid. +1 for water! :D
He already drinks lots of water and he is okay with having water at Costco now that the Fruitopia is gone. He wasn't very happy the first time we went after the change over.
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2001
2014 posts
665 upvotes
Calgary
Costco in Calgary just made the change recently, I was kind of choked about it and funny enough we had a mini debate among some workers/customers when I commented on it to the worker (asked when they had changed),

The issue I have is I can only drink sugar free drinks these days and Coke Zero is the best from that selection.
MS MSP wrote: This pleases me

Pepsi > Coke

Diet Pepsi > Diet Coke

Pepsi Max > Coke Zero
Costco fountains don't have Pepsi max to replace Coke Zero. And your comparison only might work in your province. I lived in Newfoundland for my first 25 years and Pepsi there is way better compared to Coke. Living in Calgary the past 20 years, Coke is way better than Pepsi.

How can that be? Simple, the different water reaction to the formulas and different bottlers of Coke/Pepsi
Orpheus wrote: Disappointed by the change to Pepsi at Costco. I like Coke Zero. Diet Pepsi just does not taste the same.
As mentioned I can now only drink sugar free drinks, I totally agree with you. Coke Zero and summertime $1 drinks is the only reason I go to McDonalds anymore. If they switch to Pepsi, I am done with McDonalds. (Not that they would really care)
Deal Fanatic
Jan 4, 2011
5820 posts
3846 upvotes
West Vancouver
dmyvr wrote: A bit of a disappointment to me. I'm not a huge Pepsi fan. US Costcos did this some time back now I guess it's Canada' s turn.

Vending machines are Coke machines.

Not sure if it also affects cases of Coke.

Sitting here at Costco Willingdon munching on a polish dog and a root beer ...
So here you are.

The only person in the world that cares about hes getting served a pepsi or a coke.

You are the reason why when ordering a pepsi the waitress asks me if coke is ok. Like i give a *****...

I damn you.
Deal Guru
Mar 12, 2005
11677 posts
3489 upvotes
Victoria
jm1 wrote: Interesting recent article on Slate re: Pepsi vs. Coke: Pepsi Paradox: Why people prefer coke even though pepsi wins in taste tests

The gist of it is that Pepsi wins blind taste tests because most people prefer a sweeter drink, but Coke's branding and familiarity wins out when people actually make their purchase.

I'm a Coke drinker myself, as I find Pepsi TOO sweet. Oh well, there's Lemonade, Iced Tea or Root Beer for me at Costco now.
I am curious as to when they did the tests. The one thing that the article doesn't mention is both companies changed their recipes since the new coke fiasco. They switched from using cane suguar (regular sugare) to HFCS (high frutcose corn syrup). I think it changed the flavour. I still prefer Mexican Coke (Which is still made with Sugar) or Coke Zero (Which tastes sweeter, but I do like it).

I'm actually a bit jealous over how pepsi is market products that I would buy had Coke been offering them. IE Pepsi Throwback and 355ml glass bottles (that use the throwback recipe). Coke doesn't make the good stuff readily available here. I usually buy a case of mexican coke whenever I visit the US. You can buy glass bottles of coke here, but its the same recipe, and the bottles are tiny. 287ml? Not even a can's worth.

I prefer coke, but I wish coke would follow pepsi a bit more and offer more of the classic items up here (full sized glass bottles and coke made with sugar).
Deal Addict
May 25, 2009
1878 posts
424 upvotes
Thread revival because I had a somewhat interesting experience at Costco on the weekend. I was waiting in line to get a hot dog a pop and a woman and her son were behind me talking. The kid was likely between 12 and 14 years old. She asked him what he wanted and he replied with "hot dog and pop." She told him that he could have juice with the hot dog but he told her that they did not have juice in the machine. She looked over at the Pepsi machine and said, "You can have Brisk." A few seconds later she said, "No, actually I don't want you having any of the stuff in the machine because it is all sugar or all chemicals. Do you want a coffee?" I was amazed that this woman thought a coffee was a better alternative for a 12 to 14 year old over pop. In the end the kid had a hot dog and latte. Is it normal for pre-teens/tweens to drink coffee now?
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2008
4772 posts
1561 upvotes
calgaryhhr wrote: Thread revival because I had a somewhat interesting experience at Costco on the weekend. I was waiting in line to get a hot dog a pop and a woman and her son were behind me talking. The kid was likely between 12 and 14 years old. She asked him what he wanted and he replied with "hot dog and pop." She told him that he could have juice with the hot dog but he told her that they did not have juice in the machine. She looked over at the Pepsi machine and said, "You can have Brisk." A few seconds later she said, "No, actually I don't want you having any of the stuff in the machine because it is all sugar or all chemicals. Do you want a coffee?" I was amazed that this woman thought a coffee was a better alternative for a 12 to 14 year old over pop. In the end the kid had a hot dog and latte. Is it normal for pre-teens/tweens to drink coffee now?
From what I read, coffee is fine for 14 year olds if they rarely consume it. However, I do agree with the woman that the syrup in the pop machine contains chemicals that I wouldn't want my kid to drink.
Banned
May 12, 2004
9756 posts
4136 upvotes
Ottawa
I see idiot parents buying their 7 or 8 year olds redbulls or cans of Monster drinks they can't even hold in 1 hand. If anything it's a helluva lot healthier to have some sugar free stimulants than the diabetes inducing crap in cans or fountains.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2013
3026 posts
1670 upvotes
B.C.
Cas77 wrote: I see idiot parents buying their 7 or 8 year olds redbulls or cans of Monster drinks they can't even hold in 1 hand. If anything it's a helluva lot healthier to have some sugar free stimulants than the diabetes inducing crap in cans or fountains.
It's still nowhere near as bad as in the US. A while back somebody aired a PSA that suggested replacing one soft drink with water and I though the wording was weird. Then I visited the US and was amazed with kids still in strollers sipping on 32oz soft drinks.
Deal Addict
May 25, 2009
1878 posts
424 upvotes
Totoriko wrote: From what I read, coffee is fine for 14 year olds if they rarely consume it. However, I do agree with the woman that the syrup in the pop machine contains chemicals that I wouldn't want my kid to drink.
I just found it really odd that a healthy alternative to pop for a 12 to 14 year old could be considered coffee. Additionally, how healthy can an instant latte be? The latte that is served in Costco isn't a fresh ground latte but rather a packaged drink served from a machine so I'm sure the latte mix has various chemicals added to it.

The kid's mom could have just got him water from the Pepsi machine if she wanted something healthy.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 12, 2006
6908 posts
3333 upvotes
Canada
Pepsi > Coke ... especially from an ice cold can.