Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2004
1008 posts
61 upvotes

Costco Oil Changes

Do all Costco's offer oil changes? While waiting for the rest of my family ouside I remembered that it was about time for my next oil change and wanted to see what the facilities were like for this service at Costco (I usually get this done at the dealer) so I walked around to the tire-change area and noticed that it didn't appear as though they were equipped to perfrom oil changes -- no oil drums or any car hoists.

Looked like all they did was change tires.

Are there only certain Costco locations that change oil? :confused:
23 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2005
2512 posts
129 upvotes
Only a few location offer oil changes .Th price of for the service is pretty good .l
Mar 3, 2004
245 posts
8 upvotes
Brampton
I was at the Costco in Heartland today and saw that they do oil changes there. They do 5W20 and 5W30 for $23.79. There was something else as well, but I can't remember what it was, maybe synthetic?

I'm skeptical about their service though, cuz when I dropped my car off today to get my tires rotated at Costco a lady behind me was getting an old change and she was told that it would take approx. 2-2.5 hrs. I was like, what the f***? I would never wait that long for an oil change.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 31, 2005
9916 posts
22 upvotes
Maybe they were busy for pre arranagement tire fittings and booked solid.
In Every Heart Red Strength, Our Hearts Are Many, Our Strength Your Envy
Deal Fanatic
Jul 18, 2003
6268 posts
60 upvotes
Etobicoke
Costco oil changes are a good deal in today's market.

Dino for $23. Castro Syntec for $38. And there's no one hasseling you to also flush your cooling system for $70, change or ATF for $90, replace air filter for $35 and buy new PCV valve for $12.

The also rotate and balance tires for free (if you bought your tire @ Costco).

The 2.5 hr - 3 hr wait is a pain, though. I usually try out free food samples @ Costco or walk over to [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=32]Chapters[/rfdlink] and have a coffee and read magazines while waiting for oil change.

If you can afford the time, this deal is hot.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2004
1008 posts
61 upvotes
pfbmgd wrote:Only a few location offer oil changes .Th price of for the service is pretty good .l
So when I checked the Costco.ca website none of six locations in my area (Markham-Scarbotough) seem to have "oil-change" under the Warehouse Features section of each location -- is this where it would indicate if they performed the service?
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2002
1254 posts
If they have a tire centre, they are more than likely to do oil changes.

The two that I have gone for oil changes already: Scarborough (Warden) & North York (Dufferin & 401).
FS Items:
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2005
1003 posts
Castrol Syntec is one of the worst oils available for your car (unless it is made in germany 0w30). Get it done somewhere else.
eelfliw wrote:Costco oil changes are a good deal in today's market.

Dino for $23. Castro Syntec for $38. And there's no one hasseling you to also flush your cooling system for $70, change or ATF for $90, replace air filter for $35 and buy new PCV valve for $12.

The also rotate and balance tires for free (if you bought your tire @ Costco).

The 2.5 hr - 3 hr wait is a pain, though. I usually try out free food samples @ Costco or walk over to [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=32]Chapters[/rfdlink] and have a coffee and read magazines while waiting for oil change.

If you can afford the time, this deal is hot.
Banned
Apr 15, 2006
4572 posts
121 upvotes
Chatham
D.NGUYEN wrote:Castrol Syntec is one of the worst oils available for your car (unless it is made in germany 0w30). Get it done somewhere else.
WTF? this fool needs some education. His statement is really disturbing. :mad:
Deal Fanatic
Aug 31, 2005
9916 posts
22 upvotes
Well NSX guy...not everyone can afford Purple Royale.
In Every Heart Red Strength, Our Hearts Are Many, Our Strength Your Envy
Deal Fanatic
Oct 25, 2003
8842 posts
118 upvotes
D.NGUYEN wrote:Castrol Syntec is one of the worst oils available for your car (unless it is made in germany 0w30). Get it done somewhere else.
It is most certainly NOT one of the worst.

Get your facts straight. Castrol Syntec, Made in the USA uses a Group III basestock, rather than a real full synthetic Group VI basestock.

Though it is not really 'full synthetic' it is far from being the worst oils available for your car. It will do just fine in any engine that requires whatever weight, synthetic oil. What you only need to concern yourself when buying motor oils, is if it meets the API criteria outlined by your owners manual, SL or SM.

Furthermore, on the bottle will read further specifications outlined by your car manufactuer, for instance some newer GM engines require the GM 4718M certification.
Banned
Apr 15, 2006
4572 posts
121 upvotes
Chatham
Anessa wrote:Well NSX guy...not everyone can afford Purple Royale.

Its not about the price. The made in USA syntec can cost about the same as RP. Also RP isnt the best either. If we're talking about racing or motosport Motul is closer to be the best. If you're talking about best protection for daily commutes, i would say they're all on the same level. But the Esso Extra XD-3 is the best in my book. Best in price, best in the lab.

btw He DOES NOT have a NSX. Its his dads and apparently hes saying hes on those NSX tuner sites :confused: as if he can mod it or play with it.

The kid has no education whatsoever his comments become more and more disturbing than anything
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2005
2279 posts
16 upvotes
The guy has a Prelude, his father has a NSX.
Deal Expert
Oct 20, 2001
18709 posts
1160 upvotes
Brampton: bigger tire centre (even sells steel rims), no oil changes, and no appointments

Heartland: sells tires, can do oil changes and takes appointments. but no steel rims.

The last time I got my oil changed at the Heartland location, I was in and out in about an hour...that's about typical there, if you have an appointment.
These folks have taken over RFD, so I'm done here.

Mutu qabla an tamutu
× < >