Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Costco

COSTCO: OOMA TELO free home phone service now $99.99

• Last Updated:
  • May 30th, 2013 1:56 am
Aug 14, 2009
54 posts
5 upvotes
Burlington
I am in similar situation here. I use DSL service for my internet connection, how can I use this service without having a land line?
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2007
1015 posts
745 upvotes
Toronto
kozel cerny wrote: I am on vacation in Orlando Florida. This unit is at Costco here for $129. If I buy it here in the US will I still be able to get a Canadian number when I get home to Canada? Is it the same unit? Is there any problem with doing this? The local Costco home doesn't have them And I would love to try it. Cheers.
It should be the same unit. You have the option return to any Costco in Canada so no worry.
Deal Guru
Jul 20, 2006
12734 posts
6256 upvotes
dearsir wrote: It should be the same unit. You have the option return to any Costco in Canada so no worry.
As he mentioned in the above posts the American one comes with free calling in the US not Canada. Costco.ca does have the Ooma (with the Wireless adapter which itself is worth about $50) for $180 working out to the US cost.
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2005
2315 posts
2757 upvotes
Toronto
sleepyguy wrote: I'd love to ditch bell $30/mth phone bill. BUT... I use DSL with teksavvy and require the phone loop don't I for their DSL services? How would I go about this? Switch to Teksavvy cable internet then get this VOIP system?
eriver wrote: I am in similar situation here. I use DSL service for my internet connection, how can I use this service without having a land line?
You guys both need to read through prior posts in this thread. If you cancel phone service with Teksavvy or your DSL provider, they will then tack on an additional monthly dry loop fee. That fee ranges from $9.10 to $25 depending on the number of subscribers in your area. If you're in a populated suburban area then your dry loop fee will most likely be band B fee, i.e. $9.10. There is also a one-time charge of $19.99 to switch you over from wet loop to dry loop.

Even taking into account the initial cost of the Ooma Telo, the monthly dry loop fee and one-time fee of wet-loop to dry-loop, I calculated that I will save $1000 in 3 years with Ooma just on the basic phone service. I expect I will save even more if I take the long distance charges into account because Ooma's rates are better across the board than Teksavvy, and Ooma also has a very tempting 500 minutes for $5.99 long distance plan.
Nothing to see here folks...
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2005
2315 posts
2757 upvotes
Toronto
loonieryan wrote: I didn't expect downtime but when I went into My Ooma > Add-Ons > Number Port, I noticed it says 3-4 weeks to complete the port! That means I have to keep my current phone service with Teksavvy for another 3-4 weeks and will miss my billing cycle cut off:

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/GQzKR.jpg[/IMG]

For those who have ported their numbers: does it really take 3-4 weeks?
Busiu wrote: It was 2.5 weeks for me.
2.5 weeks! Ouch! That means the number port will end up costing me $75 since I'll need to keep my phone service with Teksavvy for an additional billing cycle until the number port gets completed. Now I'm considering not doing the number port afterall and just using the number Ooma gave me...
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2008
4018 posts
2517 upvotes
Halifax
sleepyguy wrote: I'd love to ditch bell $30/mth phone bill. BUT... I use DSL with teksavvy and require the phone loop don't I for their DSL services? How would I go about this? Switch to Teksavvy cable internet then get this VOIP system?
I think a dry loop cost $10-$15 more a month. Talk to Teksavvy, and see what deals they have for DSL and cable. Also ask them if their internet is VOIP friendly.
Aug 26, 2009
391 posts
83 upvotes
I'm on 3web dsl 6mb right now and plans to switch to cable internet on the same company also 6mb to skip the dry loop fee of $9.xx / month. I'm paying bell pots for $32.00 and plans to cancel it. Is this the most practical way to do it? This is will be my first time to use cable internet. thanks.
Jan 11, 2004
381 posts
259 upvotes
loonieryan wrote: You guys both need to read through prior posts in this thread. If you cancel phone service with Teksavvy or your DSL provider, they will then tack on an additional monthly dry loop fee. That fee ranges from $9.10 to $25 depending on the number of subscribers in your area. If you're in a populated suburban area then your dry loop fee will most likely be band B fee, i.e. $9.10. There is also a one-time charge of $19.99 to switch you over from wet loop to dry loop.
Are you sure the dry loop fee is 19.99$? I spoke to a Teksavvy CSR and was quoted 69.99$ to switch from wet to dry loop.
Deal Addict
May 16, 2005
2587 posts
703 upvotes
If I have cordless panny handsets and vtech handsets can both systems used at once
Deal Fanatic
Feb 3, 2005
5295 posts
1266 upvotes
Georgetown
ciao wrote: If I have cordless panny handsets and vtech handsets can both systems used at once
Even in a worst case scenerio (where you don't set things up so every phone jack in your house works)... you can still get a splitter and just plug both phones into the jack at the Ooma device.
Deal Addict
May 16, 2005
2587 posts
703 upvotes
Tiberius wrote: Even in a worst case scenerio (where you don't set things up so every phone jack in your house works)... you can still get a splitter and just plug both phones into the jack at the Ooma device.
All my phone jacks in the house work. So if I understand correctly, one system phone is hooked up to the OOMA and other system can be hooked up to any phone jack to have both systems working?
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2005
2315 posts
2757 upvotes
Toronto
johnas wrote: Are you sure the dry loop fee is 19.99$? I spoke to a Teksavvy CSR and was quoted 69.99$ to switch from wet to dry loop.
There is a $19.99 one-time wet loop to dry loop conversion fee (listed below as the "Dry DSL Activation"). Then your dry loop monthly rate is based on what band your phone line/DSL is in. For example, I'm band B so my dry loop is $9.10/month. You can see the dry loop fee chart broken down by band on Teksavvy's website. Here it is:
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/TBIQQ.jpg[/IMG]
ciao wrote: If I have cordless panny handsets and vtech handsets can both systems used at once
You want to use both the Panny and Vtech handsets simultaneously with the Ooma? You have a couple of options to achieve that:
1) Get a 2-female-to-1-male RJ11 splitter. Plug the male end into the Ooma's telephone output and plug your Panny and Vtech bases into the female inputs of the splitter.
[IMG]http://www.computercablestore.com/image ... TM2F4W.jpg[/IMG]

2) Disconnect your landline (POTS) at the demarcation point (where the phone line comes in to your house). Then run a dedicated Cat5/Cat6 or telephone wire from your demarcation to your DSL modem. DO NOT reconnect your home phone's wiring to the demarcation point. Now plug the Ooma into any of your wall telephone jacks and all the rest of the telephone jacks in your house will now be usable just like they were before: just plug in any phone into any of your wall telephone jacks.
Mar 9, 2005
98 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
I am currently with Cogeco cable and am thinking of switching to BELL FIBE. Will the Ooma work with BELL FIBE ? Can i ask BELL to give me internet and TV and then use Ooma for phone ?
Sep 30, 2004
23 posts
1 upvote
We have been trying one of the units for the past couple of weeks and so far so good. There are some slight issues with echos but overall very pleased. One thing that we found is that there are some 1800 numbers that do not work and their customer service is pretty good however they come back with - "we exhausted all avenues and please contact the person with the phone number and ask them to unblock your number" This doesn't work very well when you are trying to a call major retailer where there is no local number. Also you cannot dial 310-BELL.
Dec 30, 2007
924 posts
357 upvotes
lbrazzi wrote: I am currently with Cogeco cable and am thinking of switching to BELL FIBE. Will the Ooma work with BELL FIBE ? Can i ask BELL to give me internet and TV and then use Ooma for phone ?
One major flaw with bell fibe is that the Internet slows down once you start watching tv or recording more than one show at a time. Make sure you do your research before switching to bell fibe.
Mar 9, 2005
98 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
timberland29 wrote: One major flaw with bell fibe is that the Internet slows down once you start watching tv or recording more than one show at a time. Make sure you do your research before switching to bell fibe.
Will Ooma work with BELL FIBE though ?? Also how much does FIBE internet slow down with recording TV ?
Aug 26, 2010
925 posts
288 upvotes
Brampton
if you want a FREE solution where you don't pay monthly fees just go with freephoneline.ca and google voice to make calls around north america using an Obi device. Voip.ms is good for outside of north america but I just use calling cards or skype anyway.
Dec 30, 2007
924 posts
357 upvotes
lbrazzi wrote: Will Ooma work with BELL FIBE though ?? Also how much does FIBE internet slow down with recording TV ?
Im sure it will work, but if your watching tv or recording something it will slow down your connection and may affect your Ooma. I believe each hd stream that your recording or watching takes up an additional 6 megs off your connection.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthr ... 78&page=24

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)