Expired Hot Deals

[Costco] COSTCO: OOMA TELO free home phone service now $99.99

• Last Updated:
  • May 30th, 2013 1:56 am
Deal Addict
Oct 31, 2004
1632 posts
58 upvotes
You don't need to pay for Premier to use Bluetooth. And you can use both adapters if you get a hub (there's only one USB port on the device). The devices themselves are identical, so buy based on whichever adapter you want more.

http://ca.ooma.com/products/ooma-telo/compare

From the FAQs:
Can I use the Ooma Bluetooth Adapter and the Ooma Telo Wireless Adapter at the same time?
Yes! You can use both the Ooma Bluetooth Adapter and the Ooma Telo Wireless Adapter at the same time by using a USB hub with your Telo
Bad grammar makes me [sic]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 20, 2006
5928 posts
643 upvotes
Ajax
Captain Snazzypants wrote:
Nov 26th, 2012 11:00 am
Is there a big difference between this cheaper Bluetooth adapter model and the regular one? I saw this review on amazon.com and started wondering...

FWIW, the Costco one for $150 comes with the wireless adapter, which costs a fair bit on its own...

You can also do a free port/extended warranty for 1 year as part of something called Ooma choose a gift.
Deal Guru
Oct 9, 2007
10000 posts
1373 upvotes
Kanata
bobcat99 wrote:
Nov 26th, 2012 12:55 pm
You can also do a free port/extended warranty for 1 year as part of something called Ooma choose a gift.
That comes when you subscribe to a year of their Premium service, if I remember correctly.
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2009
1094 posts
130 upvotes
Boom and Bust Calgar…
Nov 26th, 2012 11:00 am
Is there a big difference between this cheaper Bluetooth adapter model and the regular one? I saw this review on amazon.com and started wondering...

FWIW, the Costco one for $150 comes with the wireless adapter, which costs a fair bit on its own...
That Amazon reviewer is an idiot.

1) Yes, they charge for the port. The difference is that most other places have a monthly fee. With Ooma you just pay taxes.
2+3+4) Already discussed. Use a hub, Premier not required.
5) They give you a phone # so that you can try out the service before you port. Also you don't need to get a 2nd # unless you want it.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 20, 2006
5928 posts
643 upvotes
Ajax
Nov 26th, 2012 1:04 pm
That comes when you subscribe to a year of their Premium service, if I remember correctly.
Yes you a are right. From their website.

"Free number transfer, Extended Warranty, Wireless Adapter or Bluetooth Adapter (Telo customers only)
Sign-up for a year of Ooma Premier ($119.88) and get a free number transfer, Bluetooth Adapter, Wireless Adapter or Extended Warranty."
Apr 30, 2004
147 posts
3 upvotes
Winnipeg
Just ordered the Telo unit from Costco.ca. The product info page listed the price as $149.99, but was only $129.99 once in the cart! Black Friday special? Pricing error? In any case, it seems to be a bit less for those who want to get one. Also, Amazon.ca has it for $129.99 but without the wifi adapter, for those who do not have a Costco membership.
Aug 10, 2003
933 posts
175 upvotes
Winnipeg
I installed the OOMA Telio with wifi tonight. What a nightmare!!

The hardwired install went fine - and I placed a call on it to verify it was working properly. Total setup time - maybe 10 minutes.

Then I went to install the wifi adaptor - and did not find any instructions in the box. Later on I saw there were French instructions for the wifi - but none in English - so my guess is the English instruction sheet was misplaced. The English instructions are available online at: http://www.ooma.com/sites/default/files ... ss_qsg.pdf

I chatted online with Ooma and the guy sent me a long text file with the instructions. The instructions required me to move the Ooma from the router area in my home over to a desktop PC (as there was no laptop available) and connect it to the PC Ethernet port. Then on the PC you use a browser to go to setup.ooma.com

Except that does not always work so then I went on the web and saw mention to try 172.27.35.1

OK, finally I got into the Ooma Telio user interface. The instructions went on to tell me to look for the 'wireless' option - but there was none.

I then called in to Ooma and was told I needed to update the firmware in the Ooma box. What? So they ship the Ooma box with the wifi adapter but with out of date firmware then wait for each customer to find out and call in?

To update the firmware I had to move the Ooma box back to the router and plug it in -and wait about 2 minutes for it to reboot and reconnect to the Ooma system. Then they had me call a set of numbers to pull down the new firmware - I think they were *#*#1030 at which point the phone was doing a fast busy. A few subsequent attempts and then - success - the Ooma rebooted and it had the new firmware.

Now back to the PC with the Ooma to try again - this time the menu has the wireless option and I was able to set it up.

Some suggestions if you get the wireless version:

After getting it set up and working on a wired connection - call Ooma customer support and have them check the firmware of the unit before you start farting around with the PC hookup for the wifi setup.

Have a laptop and network cable with you near the router so you can plug the laptop into the Ooma and the Ooma into the router all in the same room.

Note that the PC wifi setup requires the Ethernet cable from the PC to be plugged into the 'Home Network' port on the Ooma box and that the web browser URL may be setup.ooma.com or 172.27.35.1

Also note a re-boot of the Ooma box takes around 2 minutes to complete before it comes up - so be patient.
Mar 4, 2006
122 posts
15 upvotes
I think it was 1.6 cents per minute but don't quote me on that. I'm going off memory fro, the my ooma page. I have had ooma for over a month now and recommend it to anyone looking to save some bucks.
Deal Addict
May 3, 2008
4345 posts
230 upvotes
Just wondering about long-distance. I've hard bad reviews about long-distance call quality.

Would it be possible to use a long distance company such as World Link for long-distance calling in conjunction with Ooma for local calling?
It takes an ocean not to break
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2005
2011 posts
99 upvotes
Toronto
Nettles wrote:
Jan 28th, 2013 8:32 pm
Just wondering about long-distance. I've hard bad reviews about long-distance call quality.

Would it be possible to use a long distance company such as World Link for long-distance calling in conjunction with Ooma for local calling?
Yes i am currently using it with worldline, however i haven't had any issues with call quality.
"The beatings will continue until morale improves". :twisted:

"There are those who make things happen. Those who watch things happen. And finally those who sit and wonder what the 'hell' happened!"
Jul 3, 2008
145 posts
23 upvotes
Sherwood Park
I am on Ooma and it works great. Just trying to find the new Ooma HD2 headsets. They look pretty slick.....
Deal Addict
May 3, 2008
4345 posts
230 upvotes
Question about the premier/long-distance/and backup number service.

The premier plan includes free calling to the US so I can cancel my long-distance company but I've heard that intl calling quality is poor....is that true?

The only feature I'm really interested in the premier subscription service for $10 is the backup number in case internet goes down (cable's unreliable). If this does end up happening then would it be possible for me to use the $4 plan as usual and subscribe to the $10 plan to use the backup number if the internet goes down?
It takes an ocean not to break
× < >