[Costco] Phillips Sonicare Flex Care Toothbrush

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 8th, 2017 2:47 pm
Deal Addict
Apr 17, 2005
3710 posts
514 upvotes
Kitchener
I've been waiting for this to go on sale but now I'm leaning towards oral-b...

Sonicare:
Li-ion battery with looong life
More expensive brushes and brush heads

Oral-b:
The pro 3000 (?) bundle at Costco was just on sale last month and might not go on sale again in a while.
Research seen to indicate it cleans slightly better
Very questionable battery life. Planned obsolescence?
Much cheaper brushes.
This space is intentionally left blank.
Jul 11, 2015
193 posts
92 upvotes
Victoria, BC
i was thinking of replacing my old sonicare brush, cause the metal part the head slides onto is super loose inside, the body. so it vibrates like a mo fo. just a little loud, but it still works.

but yeah does anyone know if the chargers that phillips makes for thier soniccare line differentiate, ( i guess i could just google, but if u know thanks.) ? or is there a way to find out if my charger is compatable. cause i would gladly buy one of these and split it with a friend if i can just use my other charger.

But also the sanitizer thing( which i never use) has a charger on it too doesnt it? so i guess i should just buy one already right?
You're the average of the five people, you most associate with.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2007
3846 posts
724 upvotes
BC
Thundercloud wrote:
May 10th, 2017 4:40 pm
I've been waiting for this to go on sale but now I'm leaning towards oral-b...

Sonicare:
Li-ion battery with looong life
More expensive brushes and brush heads

Oral-b:
The pro 3000 (?) bundle at Costco was just on sale last month and might not go on sale again in a while.
Research seen to indicate it cleans slightly better
Very questionable battery life. Planned obsolescence?
Much cheaper brushes.
I think a lot of it is user preference. I find Sonicare cleans much better for me and I've tried Oral-B.
I also use fake heads so the cost of the brushes doesn't matter as much since we're talking like 25 cents each.

In terms of the battery life or rather planned obsolesce, I had my Sonicare die towards the end of my 2 year warranty window. I was covered by about a month so I shipped it back and got a replacement, but it was suspicious on timing. That said, I figure the batteries are akin to cellular phone batteries in that we're looking at around 2-3 years then you might get some hiccups or need to replace it all together.
:arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd:
Jun 26, 2005
206 posts
6 upvotes
I've 3 sets of Sonicare. They last about 2-3 years. All failures was cause by the water infiltration at the head shaft. Water would either cause mold, short circuit or damage the battery.

I think it's a design weakness. But the sonicare clean amazing. So all in all, I would buy it again. But keep your receipt and original box, cause you might need it.
Banned
Apr 25, 2017
72 posts
9 upvotes
This is the spin brush right? My dentist just recommended I switch to one of these yesterday, this is a sign
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2006
1761 posts
139 upvotes
Waterloo
JonnyWong wrote:
May 11th, 2017 2:53 pm
This is the spin brush right? My dentist just recommended I switch to one of these yesterday, this is a sign
Not really a spin brush, it vibrates.

I'm on my third one of these. the previous two died about 1-2 years into it. I suspect water got into the middle of the brush as someone mentioned already. It's a great brush but doesn't last very long.

Luckily, I returned my last one to Costco and got a replacement because of their great return policy.
Corsair 600T SE White | Dell U2412M | Intel Core i7 950 3.06GHZ | MSI GeForce GTX 1060 OC 6GB | 12GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3-1600 | ASUS Sabertooth X58 | Sandisk Extreme 120GB SSD | Logitech G500 | Logitech Z-2300 | Sennheiser HD555
Banned
Apr 25, 2017
72 posts
9 upvotes
torontoraptor wrote:
May 11th, 2017 3:15 pm

I'm on my third one of these. the previous two died about 1-2 years into it. I suspect water got into the middle of the brush as someone mentioned already. It's a great brush but doesn't last very long.

Luckily, I returned my last one to Costco and got a replacement because of their great return policy.
But how are you finding the results? Better than a regular tooth brush?
Feb 24, 2017
75 posts
69 upvotes
JonnyWong wrote:
May 11th, 2017 3:19 pm
I am interested in hearing answers to this as well.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2014
3174 posts
633 upvotes
Mississauga
JonnyWong wrote:
May 11th, 2017 3:19 pm
Wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy better. No comparison. Worth every penny. My dentist appointment after i purchased this was my best ever.
signature removed for rule violation. no referrals allowed.
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2008
4260 posts
2457 upvotes
Montreal
I'm also on the fence and still using a regular toothbrush. Want to get onboard but $140 plus QC tax is a little absurd for an electric toothbrush? Is there any cheaper options out there?
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
10169 posts
3112 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
ottofly wrote:
May 11th, 2017 3:41 pm
Is there any cheaper options out there?
Even the basic Philips Sonicare Essence+ Plaque Removal HX3211/03 for ~$39 is way better than a manual toothbrush. Scroll down the linked page to get a comparison chart of various models. If you don't need the extra features then there's no point in paying for them.

Many dentists sell Sonicare and Oral-B electric toothbrushes at cost. You might want to ask your dentist or hygienist if they do.
veni, vidi, Visa
Apr 3, 2010
252 posts
145 upvotes
ottofly wrote:
May 11th, 2017 3:41 pm
I'm also on the fence and still using a regular toothbrush. Want to get onboard but $140 plus QC tax is a little absurd for an electric toothbrush? Is there any cheaper options out there?
Remember, it's a 2-pack. You'll find cheaper, but not better.

I'd also recommend the knock-off heads. I got a 8-pack from Amazon.ca for about $15, and it arrived in a week from Eastern Europe. You can get them in hard or soft. My dentist always recommends soft, so you don't wear your enamel away. I found the diamond-clean head that came with the package, much too hard for me.
Banned
Apr 25, 2017
72 posts
9 upvotes
ar2020 wrote:
May 11th, 2017 3:26 pm
Wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy better. No comparison. Worth every penny. My dentist appointment after i purchased this was my best ever.
Ok thanks for the heads up OP! I don't have a Costco card but I'm sure I can find it discounted somewhere else as well.
Jun 26, 2005
206 posts
6 upvotes
After using the Sonicare, I would never go back to manual toothbrush. Even if it cost me 140$ and knowing it won't last more the 2-3years. I know that the brush head are expensive, but I keep the same head for 1year. Yes 1 year! why? Because i prefer the softness of an older brush.

I've used the Oral-B (10 years ago) but I prefer the Sonicare. I'm not sure new Oral-B are better though.
Jul 19, 2004
653 posts
45 upvotes
Vancouver
torontoraptor wrote:
May 11th, 2017 3:15 pm

Yea, somebody actually made a cover where the brush meets the shaft so water doesn't get in.