Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Costco

Playseat Challenge - Costco - 269.99

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 20th, 2017 12:25 pm
Jul 24, 2006
204 posts
87 upvotes
Montreal

[Costco] Playseat Challenge - Costco - 269.99

This thing is hard to find at this price, last time sold out quickly.

Steering Wheel, Pedals and Gearshift are not included

Playseat® Challenge, the real driving simulator, is a fantastic entry level Playseat® racing seat for new racers. The Playseat® Challenge driving simulator combines comfort, performance and stability at an absolutely unbeatable price. This excellently priced introductory level seat features an extremely comfortable replica blow molded racing seat. Featuring an infinitely adjustable driving position to suit child and adult drivers of all shapes and sizes, changing position takes just seconds. The Playseat® Challenge will allow you to gain absolute control of your racing game and enhance your driving experience.

Features:
-Compatible with Playstation2®, Playstation3®, Playstation4®, Xbox®, Xbox 360®, Xbox One®, Wii™, Wii U™, Mac® and PC
-Compatible with all steering wheel and pedal sets on the market
-Patented universal fully adjustable steering wheel and pedal set support
-Ergonomic adjustable seat with adjustable lumbar support
-Easy to set up and fully adjusted within seconds
-Superior build quality, stability and comfort
-Easy to store due to its unique and patented collapsible design
-Steering wheel and pedals are not included

Bestbuy have it at 289.99 including 10$ off http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/pla ... 23296.aspx
Canada computers has it at 349.99

Thanks to Woah! for the original video link and to Kkhan15 for his original post back in the day.
Last edited by crymson1979 on May 26th, 2017 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
17 replies
Jun 13, 2004
280 posts
197 upvotes
This is neat and all but wow the price for what is basically a lawn chair.
Apr 27, 2017
56 posts
76 upvotes
Jemm wrote: This is neat and all but wow the price for what is basically a lawn chair.
Lol I actually thought it was a lawn chair and this was in the wrong forum.
Banned
May 12, 2004
9756 posts
4136 upvotes
Ottawa
KPel86 wrote: Lol I actually thought it was a lawn chair and this was in the wrong forum.
Same. there is no way these cost more than $15-20 to make.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 11, 2006
6685 posts
3696 upvotes
Canada,Eh!
You guys are savage!

Sure it's not the best solution, but for what it's designed to do, it works and gets good reviews.
If you need to pack it away after use, it's probably the best racing seat currently available.
Yeah, it looks like a camping chair, but those are pretty comfy, are they not?????
It also lacks the stupid center posts which the "higher end" Playseats use.....and that is a GOOD thing about the Challenge.

Plus, if you're a VR user, it doesn't matter what you sit in, because it all disappears once you put the HMD on.
As long as it's comfortable and the wheel & pedals (and shifter/handbrake) are where they should be.

Personally, I owned the more expensive Playseat Revolution, and after years of having to hike my leg up over the d@mn center post getting in and out of it, I decided to sell it (for what I paid Smiling Face With Open Mouth) and built my own.
There is no substitute for making a custom rig, as you can put EXACTLY what you want into it, and mod it over time if/when need be.
Folks might not like my home-built rig, as it may not work for them, but I am so much happier with it than I was with the PS Revolution.
Bonuses of the home-built : far more sturdy, slide out keyboard & mouse tray, fast and easy wheel swapping with just 2 bolts, shifter & handbrake mounted EXACTLY where I wanted them, a real car seat with full adjustability (leather BMW in my case for $100), able to mount button boxes and bass-shaker amps for easy access during racing/flying, lighting for late-night sessions.....the list goes on.

This is the rig, used mostly in VR.....I race by brail, LOL!!!!!!

Apr 8, 2005
916 posts
633 upvotes
Woah! wrote: This is the rig, used mostly in VR.....I race by brail, LOL!!!!!!
Amazing rig - great job on it. I agree with your post: for portability it's tough to beat the Challenge unless someone wants to MacGyver their own stow-and-go.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 11, 2006
6685 posts
3696 upvotes
Canada,Eh!
Mykolas wrote: Amazing rig - great job on it. I agree with your post: for portability it's tough to beat the Challenge unless someone wants to MacGyver their own stow-and-go.
Thanks, much appreciated.

Took a while to build.....and paint, LOL!!!!!!
I wanted to do it right, and just ONCE. Smiling Face With Open Mouth
It's also easily disassembled/re-assembled if need be because everything is bolted together rather than using nails & screws.

As much as I'd love a real motion-rig made by the likes of SimXperience or someone like that, it just isn't feasible.
Nor do I want to shell out $2,500-$26,000+ USD for one of those major....ahem......chick magnets.

For the cost of the parts I'm really happy with how it turned out when compared to my old Playseat Revolution.
The bass-shakers (Dayton Pucks) really bring things to life, and made it all worthwhile.....two in the pedals, 4 in back of the seat, amps to the right of the seat for easy adjustability of the effects while racing (SimVibe is AWESOME!).
http://simxperience.com/en-us/products/ ... tware.aspx

Feels soooo good on the feet and the back.....like a massage without the happy ending.
Now, why is it that only in racing is it good to finish first? Winking Face
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2007
1873 posts
552 upvotes
can't use a shifter with this one?
Jul 19, 2011
769 posts
434 upvotes
Toronto
I've been wanting to buy this since 2013, but the price is more expensive than my G27. I'd be willing to buy it for $150-$200 at most.
Apr 8, 2005
916 posts
633 upvotes
Debonair wrote: can't use a shifter with this one?
I think if you search around people have devised their own shifter bolt-on solutions, but ya, it's a limitation.
Jun 13, 2004
280 posts
197 upvotes
I don't know. I get that it is purpose built and convenient but the price is just nuts.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 11, 2006
6685 posts
3696 upvotes
Canada,Eh!
For those who may be looking for a handbrake solution to use with their PC racing sims (this won't work on the consoles unfortunately), here's a cheap solution if you happen to have a TH8A or TH8RS shifter.
On the PC, switch it into analog mode using the Thrustmaster Control Panel.
You can simply leave it like that, or as I did, pick up a set of double-locking BMX grips, or any standard 22.2mm or 7/8" grips, along with a 7/8" wooden dowel.

[$10] BMX grips from Amazon:
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B072HC ... UTF8&psc=1

[~ $5] 4' 7/8" Wooden dowel from Home Depot:
https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.hard ... 15273.html

Thrustmaster uses an oddly sized 9mm x 1.25 thread.
I looked everywhere for a metal female threaded nut/heli-coil in order to mount a new grip, but prices were either too high or shipping was too long of a wait....the wood dowel works great, is solid and dirt cheap.
You could make about 8 of these grips with the 4' length it's sold in.

Cut the dowel to the length of the grip (you only need one.....or you could use both if also wanting a long-handled sequential shifter), drill a hole slightly smaller than the diameter of the shaft and twist it onto the threads of the shifter.

Way more authentic than using the TH8A's shifter knob, and replicates a real hand-brake handle nicely.

After:

Before:
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2012
1095 posts
623 upvotes
Woah! wrote: For those who may be looking for a handbrake solution to use with their PC racing sims (this won't work on the consoles unfortunately), here's a cheap solution if you happen to have a TH8A or TH8RS shifter.
On the PC, switch it into analog mode using the Thrustmaster Control Panel.
You can simply leave it like that, or as I did, pick up a set of double-locking BMX grips, or any standard 22.2mm or 7/8" grips, along with a 7/8" wooden dowel.

[$10] BMX grips from Amazon:
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B072HC ... UTF8&psc=1

[~ $5] 4' 7/8" Wooden dowel from Home Depot:
https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.hard ... 15273.html

Thrustmaster uses an oddly sized 9mm x 1.25 thread.
I looked everywhere for a metal female threaded nut/heli-coil in order to mount a new grip, but prices were either too high or shipping was too long of a wait....the wood dowel works great, is solid and dirt cheap.
You could make about 8 of these grips with the 4' length it's sold in.

Cut the dowel to the length of the grip (you only need one.....or you could use both if also wanting a long-handled sequential shifter), drill a hole slightly smaller than the diameter of the shaft and twist it onto the threads of the shifter.

Way more authentic than using the TH8A's shifter knob, and replicates a real hand-brake handle nicely.

After:

Before:
Absolutely love your rig and was wondering if you're willing to share the plans/materials/design of the build? I'm looking to build one as my summer project. Thanks in advance.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 11, 2006
6685 posts
3696 upvotes
Canada,Eh!
shahram0 wrote: Absolutely love your rig and was wondering if you're willing to share the plans/materials/design of the build? I'm looking to build one as my summer project. Thanks in advance.
Thanks.

Unfortunately I don't have any plans as far as the wooden structure goes, it was all done off the cuff using the old, measure twice cut once rule.
It was simply traced out by hand on 3/4" good both sides plywood and several 2"x6" for the platform's frame.

Based very loosely on this Ricmotech RS-1 seat, with my own substitutions.

The differences are :
My platform is both wider and shorter
Larger/longer side panels to support equipment mounting (Shifter/Brake, Button Boxes, Shaker & Headphone amps, Drink Holder, etc.)
Audio selector boxes for switching between Simvibe & game audio for the bass shakers
Slide-out keyboard & mouse tray
Larger top deck
Power & lighting
Wheels for mobility
etc...

What I can do is list off the sources for the various hard to get components and roughly what they cost.
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2012
1095 posts
623 upvotes
Woah! wrote: Thanks.

Unfortunately I don't have any plans as far as the wooden structure goes, it was all done off the cuff using the old, measure twice cut once rule.
It was simply traced out by hand on 3/4" good both sides plywood and several 2"x6" for the platform's frame.

Based very loosely on this Ricmotech RS-1 seat, with my own substitutions.

The differences are :
My platform is both wider and shorter
Larger/longer side panels to support equipment mounting (Shifter/Brake, Button Boxes, Shaker & Headphone amps, Drink Holder, etc.)
Audio selector boxes for switching between Simvibe & game audio for the bass shakers
Slide-out keyboard & mouse tray
Larger top deck
Power & lighting
Wheels for mobility
etc...

What I can do is list off the sources for the various hard to get components and roughly what they cost.
I currently use a g25 which I've had for a long time and it's still sufficient for my usage, but I really want to build a proper rig to mount it in. The desk is just not cutting it for me.

I was going to build their deathmobile build, but its a little too simplistic and I'd have to make additional mounts for the h-shifter anyway (and hoping to get a handbrake/joystick to act as one too). Coincidentally, I saw your rig and it covers off almost everything I'd want, but perhaps I'd err on the more cost effective end.

Thanks again for your reply. I may bug you again if I have questions after I review the video and try to visualize my build.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 11, 2006
6685 posts
3696 upvotes
Canada,Eh!
shahram0 wrote: I currently use a g25 which I've had for a long time and it's still sufficient for my usage, but I really want to build a proper rig to mount it in. The desk is just not cutting it for me.

I was going to build their deathmobile build, but its a little too simplistic and I'd have to make additional mounts for the h-shifter anyway (and hoping to get a handbrake/joystick to act as one too). Coincidentally, I saw your rig and it covers off almost everything I'd want, but perhaps I'd err on the more cost effective end.

Thanks again for your reply. I may bug you again if I have questions after I review the video and try to visualize my build.
No probs!
You may wanna check out their actual review once it's all painted up and completed ( I think the two-tone black/grey paint scheme looks slick).
That may help you make informed decisions towards the tweaks you want.

Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2012
1095 posts
623 upvotes
Woah! wrote: No probs!
You may wanna check out their actual review once it's all painted up and completed ( I think the two-tone black/grey paint scheme looks slick).
That may help you make informed decisions towards the tweaks you want.

Hey there, just getting started and was wondering if the plans are only available through purchase or if there are free versions?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)