Costco Policy change?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 4th, 2011 6:56 am
Aug 7, 2001
542 posts
269 upvotes
Chatham

Costco Policy change?

So I went into Costco today, to get a price adjustment on some cereal I had purchased last week. It was on sale this week so I took my receipt in. I was informed by the staff that as of a week and a half ago they no longer do this.

hummm I guess the only recourse is to buy and refund on the week old receipt. Anyone else run into this?
11 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2007
3036 posts
219 upvotes
Surrey
mwan wrote: So I went into Costco today, to get a price adjustment on some cereal I had purchased last week. It was on sale this week so I took my receipt in. I was informed by the staff that as of a week and a half ago they no longer do this.

hummm I guess the only recourse is to buy and refund on the week old receipt. Anyone else run into this?

Sounds like a reasonable policy. It's cereal, for crying out loud. How much you saving, and how much time does it take to do this? Is your time worth so little?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2010
6112 posts
660 upvotes
SW Ontario
I've never tried to get a price adjustment on a consumable item. I don't think it is that common. But yes you could purchase at the new price and return at the old price.
Aug 7, 2001
542 posts
269 upvotes
Chatham
iamnotamerican.com wrote: Sounds like a reasonable policy. It's cereal, for crying out loud. How much you saving, and how much time does it take to do this? Is your time worth so little?

Actually no time wasted or extra trips involved. If I am there and they dropped the prices from 8.59 to 6.59 I would get the price adjusted.
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2007
3036 posts
219 upvotes
Surrey
mwan wrote: Actually no time wasted or extra trips involved. If I am there and they dropped the prices from 8.59 to 6.59 I would get the price adjusted.

So you tried and they said no. No harm done. Always worth a try, but certainly not worth stressing over.
Deal Expert
Oct 20, 2001
18709 posts
1326 upvotes
Sauga
I was in the cashier lineup at the Brampton location yesterday, and one of the employees was telling another shopper that you have 30 days to get a price adjustment (this was on an LCD TV). So either the policy is the same for non-food items or this employee was not informed of the change. I've seen him work the cash regularly there, so I'm assuming he's kept in the loop for these kinds of things...but perhaps not.
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2006
2637 posts
1353 upvotes
CANADA
Stores should consider a minimum amount for a price adjustment. Don't waste your time or the time of people waiting in line. Your time is probably worth more.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2010
6112 posts
660 upvotes
SW Ontario
Rehan wrote: I was in the cashier lineup at the Brampton location yesterday, and one of the employees was telling another shopper that you have 30 days to get a price adjustment (this was on an LCD TV). So either the policy is the same for non-food items or this employee was not informed of the change. I've seen him work the cash regularly there, so I'm assuming he's kept in the loop for these kinds of things...but perhaps not.

For electronics you can usually get up the 90 days, as that is the official policy for returning them. Other items have a loose (unofficial) return time of 30 days. All these are YMMV as even at the same store it doesn't stay consistent.
Deal Guru
May 13, 2004
11471 posts
559 upvotes
Toronto
No change in official policy:

30 days for "price adjustment."

90 days for electronics, computers.

Indefinite for "return and repurchase" (which you obviously can't do with food). Also, you can only get a price adjustment during a current sale.

Refund and repurchase works only while they have stock; although you can return for refund and buy something else.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2010
6112 posts
660 upvotes
SW Ontario
HowEver wrote: No change in official policy:

30 days for "price adjustment."

90 days for electronics, computers.

Indefinite for "return and repurchase" (which you obviously can't do with food). Also, you can only get a price adjustment during a current sale.

Refund and repurchase works only while they have stock; although you can return for refund and buy something else.

And they will only do price adjustments for clearance items especially while there is current stock.
Oct 13, 2010
195 posts
18 upvotes
iamnotamerican.com wrote: Sounds like a reasonable policy. It's cereal, for crying out loud. How much you saving, and how much time does it take to do this? Is your time worth so little?

i Agree.. I buy from Costco once a week and i was never aware of this policy.. If it was a computer or tv yeah may be but for cereals .... :)
Stop letting people that do so little for you, control so much of your mind, feelings and emotions - Will Smith

My Teeth Whitening Blog
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2006
2637 posts
1353 upvotes
CANADA
What next? A price adjustment on consumed restaurant food?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)