Tags:
None
[OP]
Mar 18, 2002
457 posts
73 upvotes
Toronto, ON

[Costco] Costco prefinished hardwood floor $3.50/sqft

On one of my last trips thrpugh Costco I noticed they have prefinished oak hardwood flooring for $3.50/sqft. Considering I was consideringat $3.99 an amamzing price hard to be found, this is pretty good. I will need in the neighborhood of 2000+ sqft for the house, and evey cent makes a difference. This is a regular price in store.
I remeber at some point they had some deals on flooring. Don't remeber if it was laminate or hardwood. Anyone? Also, any insiders info on upcoming deals? Maybe the winter savings booklet or someting.... I am planning to install in 6~8 months, so if I could save some $ I would wait.
If this is not a good deal, can ayone point me to a better one???
23 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2005
2834 posts
38 upvotes
they did have a deal on the laminate earlier this yr. Just dont go cheap on laminate,, as some stuff is just that cheap
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2004
2510 posts
168 upvotes
With this cheaper price I guess you only have a choice of maybe 2 finishes...whats the average installed price, like $6-7 per sq foot?
Mar 30, 2004
914 posts
8 upvotes
Newmarket
cheapbastage wrote:With this cheaper price I guess you only have a choice of maybe 2 finishes...whats the average installed price, like $6-7 per sq foot?

rent the pneumatic floor nailer from home depot and pick up a cheap compressor ( [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=24]canadian tire[/rfdlink] has one for $79.99) and you can lay hardwood flooring yourself.. it is dead easy.. really :)
We have enough youth.. what we need is a fountain of smart
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2004
1167 posts
92 upvotes
The laminate was by Allegro and it was a click n go type. Don't remember the thickness but it seemed average (6-7mm?). The laminate ususaly goes on sale, but I've never seen the hardwood on sale. They did have a display (roving show) on the engineered hardwood but that was the same, if not more, than reg hardwood.
Jan 23, 2005
95 posts
17 upvotes
First off, $3.50 is a good price for hardwood. But like anything you get what you pay for. Take a look at the box size, if it's onlly 4 ft, don't expect long lengths. Second look at the grade, the cleaner more uniform the grain is, the more money you should expect to pay. (lots of knots, and dark mineral grain, means cheaper) Third look at the size of the board, wider widths, cost more. Be careful it's not a import product, some offshore products are marked that they are 3/4" thick when really they are only 5/8" which makes a difference when you go and rent a nailer, and the the shoe is all of a sudden is the wrong size. Forth, keep in mind that wood is a comodity, and is subject to supply and demand. Again, for $3.50 a sq.ft. there's a good chance it's an offshore product, made with russian white oak. (Tonnes of it out there) and fifth, take a few boards and put them together, and make sure they fit well. The last thing you want, is a floor with nice big gaps in between the boards because of poor milling. Finally, look at the finish, make sure its smooth the length of the board, and that there is no lap or machine marks on the end of the board.

Hope this helps.

G.
mbalgavy wrote:On one of my last trips thrpugh Costco I noticed they have prefinished oak hardwood flooring for $3.50/sqft. Considering I was consideringat $3.99 an amamzing price hard to be found, this is pretty good. I will need in the neighborhood of 2000+ sqft for the house, and evey cent makes a difference. This is a regular price in store.
I remeber at some point they had some deals on flooring. Don't remeber if it was laminate or hardwood. Anyone? Also, any insiders info on upcoming deals? Maybe the winter savings booklet or someting.... I am planning to install in 6~8 months, so if I could save some $ I would wait.
If this is not a good deal, can ayone point me to a better one???
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2004
1708 posts
15 upvotes
North York
Cheap laminate? Sam's Club hands down. They sell this Chinese made stuff, 8.3 mm for @ $1.26 per sq ft. It has an anti-moisture compound in it. I used it in the basement (Maple design) on top of a tough plastic ventilated subfloor.
This is the stuff http://www.qualitycraft.ca/clickplusproductinfo.html
Jan 23, 2005
95 posts
17 upvotes
Best Laminate flooring out there is anything that uses a Patented UNICLIC Joint. As for a anti-moisture compond, ie. green HDF core, be more concerned with the HDF swell rate. Cheap Laminates tend to have swell rates upwards of 17% or more. An Ideal swell rate is anything below 11% As for the green HDF core, it's just dyed green to make you think its better.

When Buying Laminate Flooring, ask what the swell rate is, how does it lock, and finally find out what the board repeat is. After all its not real wood, but just a series of photos. The Question is how many times does the image repeat itself. Some low end laminates only use 5 images, so it makes for a very fake looking floor.

Check out http://www.torlys.com or http://www.quick-step.com

For More Info.

careener wrote:Cheap laminate? Sam's Club hands down. They sell this Chinese made stuff, 8.3 mm for @ $1.26 per sq ft. It has an anti-moisture compound in it. I used it in the basement (Maple design) on top of a tough plastic ventilated subfloor.
This is the stuff http://www.qualitycraft.ca/clickplusproductinfo.html
Aug 26, 2004
669 posts
6 upvotes
GTA
What are the main (practical) differences between hardwood and laminate?
What are the advantages and disadvantages of each?

Thanks.
Aug 26, 2004
669 posts
6 upvotes
GTA
gooch1000 wrote:Be careful it's not a import product, some offshore products are marked that they are 3/4" thick when really they are only 5/8" which makes a difference when you go and rent a nailer, and the the shoe is all of a sudden is the wrong size.
Assuming the size is right, what's wrong with an offshore product (except for supporting the local economy, that is)?
gooch1000 wrote:Again, for $3.50 a sq.ft. there's a good chance it's an offshore product, made with russian white oak. (Tonnes of it out there)
Is there something wrong with Russian white oak?
Banned
Aug 9, 2005
1478 posts
229 upvotes
I just did a 1000+sqft condo with Quality Craft Laminate 8.3mm but without the green die for 99C/sqft. This on top of hte heaviest foam with moisture barrier from Lansing for roughly 50c/sqft. Cheapest way I can find to do and it turned out pretty good. Overall, ones I gained some experience (after the first room, start with the easiest smallest one!!) it was alright just from time to time the boards don't seem to be perfectly snapping in, maybe due to floor not being 100% flat or accumulation of minor offsets.
Sep 12, 2004
255 posts
1 upvote
Hardwood flooring is not Laminate.
I would suggest using a professional, otherwise you will have gaps and squeaks. ...a decent 'cash' pro will only cost $1.25-1.50/sq ft

...brand name does matter though when buying hardwood, otherwise it will bend. I bought some at Rona because it was a great deal, and 6 months later, i have a few squeaky spots, and some gaps ...decent hardwood will run you OVER $5.00/sq ft. I did my father's house with better wood, and the difference is large
...trust me, spend the extra cash, unless you dont plan on living there for more than a few years.
Feb 21, 2005
728 posts
62 upvotes
Just bought 30 boxes last time it was on coupon at Costco. $6 off a box if I remember... attached underlay, used the oak finish. Did it myself (get some kneepads), then did a buddys place the next weekend..

Unbelievable how easy it is to do, and how good it looks after. This was the click and lock, and no gaps, no squeeks, nothing but nice floor...
An agressive nature does not make a weaker man a gladiator....

Phone numbers for sale:
613.wxw.xxxy and wxw.xxxz pm me for info
Jan 23, 2005
95 posts
17 upvotes
Many offshore products do not subscribe to North American standards, so many, (not all) products, are just not very well manufactured. As far as Russian White Oak, it tends to be slightly softer than its american counter part. Also for some the moral dilemma of knowing that much of russia is being clear cut, like we did in north america 100 years ago, may make a few people, think twice about investigating the sources of timber for their wood floors.

There are many organizations that promote good forestry practices.

Ie. http://www.fsc.org/en/

Alexo wrote:Assuming the size is right, what's wrong with an offshore product (except for supporting the local economy, that is)?

Is there something wrong with Russian white oak?
× < >