• Last Updated:
  • Nov 3rd, 2016 7:28 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
5760 posts
543 upvotes
Yes. Might also save on salt although not sure about that.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2008
2505 posts
169 upvotes
woof wrote:
Jan 4th, 2013 10:00 pm
Yes. Might also save on salt although not sure about that.
Sorry, are you confirming that the Premier AF-40K water softener from Costco uses Demand-Initiated Regeneration? Meaning it will only regenerate when it is needed, not base on a set timer? If yes, I am getting it :)
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
5760 posts
543 upvotes
No. I am confirming nothing since I do not currently own it and the manufacturers descriptions/specifications are vague.
Jan 11, 2008
605 posts
86 upvotes
Toronto
THINKPADT61 wrote:
Jan 4th, 2013 9:26 pm
Help me understand... you would want a higher grains rating so that the unit doesn't regenerate as often? as the process of regenerating will use a lot of water?

Also, I have done some reading and there are two types of control:

1. Timer base regeneration or;
2. Demand-initiated regeneration (DIR)

The DIR type is definitely going to save more water in the long run.

Anyone know if the Premier water softener sold by Costco is timer or demand-initiated base regeneration?
It's a mix.

I took a picture of the box a few months ago but I deleted it. My memory says the box listed it is as demand-initiated. From costco.ca, it says:
Digital demand regeneration valve with bypass valve preinstalled
Thing is, this water softener will regenerate after 15 days if there hasn't been a recharge/regeneration of soft water. So if you don't use enough soft water after 15 days since the last regeneration, this system will trigger one. You can't override this setting. It's in the installation manual that's linked in the Costco.ca page, but it's not on Watts' website. I'm not sure if that sears.ca one linked earlier has a similar setting or not.

From my shopping experience, there's a balance that you need to consider. Yes, the more grains means the water softener will regenerate less often. However, the plumbers I spoke with suggested I don't go too big of a system that would cause problems down the road if the softener didn't regenerate periodically (it's the idea that if things stagnate that whatever parts could clog etc.).
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2008
2505 posts
169 upvotes
I have email Watt, the maker of this costco water softener.
Feb 27, 2011
688 posts
356 upvotes
Regina
Been looking at this one and the Kenmore 24,000 grain. The Kenmore is probably too small for my needs (checked at sears and was told yesterday only 14 left in Western Canada). I just called my local Costco (Regina). They just got 10 of the 40,000 grain in this morning (so 11 in stock). The website item # does not match what's in store, but it is the same softener (40,000 grain made by Watt).

$429.99
See my Buy Sell Trade ad for Replacement Panasonic Shaver Blades and Foils.

--------------------------------------------------
"PC LOAD LETTER!!. What the f^@# does that mean?"
Sep 15, 2008
3 posts
Markham
Can anyone confirm that this sale price is available in Toronto as well?
Banned
Sep 1, 2012
1783 posts
70 upvotes
ryap wrote:
Jan 8th, 2013 1:52 pm
Can anyone confirm that this sale price is available in Toronto as well?
Lol order online I called around. There not such unit at the warehouse location called markham
Sep 17, 2007
180 posts
37 upvotes
Wasaga Beach
I saw these in the Barrie Costco last week. I would definitely buy one at this price, but it's a little small for my water conditions.

Make sure you guys size these properly, if you get one that is undersized, it will probably still work, but it will use WAY more salt.
Something like up to 5 times as much salt for the same amount of softened water. This site has some good info on how to properly size a softener. http://www.aquatell.ca/knowledge-center ... r-softener
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2008
2505 posts
169 upvotes
A email from Watts Water, the maker of this Premier Water Softener from Costco, confirmed to me that the AF40K does indeed regenerate on demand and will force a regeneration after 14days without a regen.
Jan 11, 2008
605 posts
86 upvotes
Toronto
FYI: Kitchener Costco had this yesterday for $419.99.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2008
2505 posts
169 upvotes
What should be soften in the house?

I plan to soften both hot and cold water expect for the following:
-fridge cold water line
-kitchen faucet cold water line
-toilets cold water line
-exterior cold water line

Did I miss any thing?
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2008
1658 posts
545 upvotes
Kitchener
THINKPADT61 wrote:
Jan 14th, 2013 8:37 pm
What should be soften in the house?

I plan to soften both hot and cold water expect for the following:
-fridge cold water line
-kitchen faucet cold water line
-toilets cold water line
-exterior cold water line

Did I miss any thing?
I would use soft cold in your toilets...
Oct 22, 2002
117 posts
3 upvotes
GTA
Jamie_Canuck wrote:
Jan 14th, 2013 8:59 pm
I would use soft cold in your toilets...
Agreed. Not worth the trouble of running dedicated lines to all the toilets. Also if you are planning to install an RO system later then no need to bypass the kitchen faucet or fridge either.
× < >