Page 1 of 10

Costco Premier 40,000 gain water softener

Posted: Jan 3rd, 2013 5:25 pm
by THINKPADT61
Any reason why I shouldn't buy this water softener from Costco for $439 locally? Anyone with experience using it?

Premier 40,000 gain high capacity water softener

http://www.costco.ca/Premier-40%2C000-g ... leOptOut=1

If I buy this, it will be install be a plumber.

Re: Costco Premier 40,000 gain water softener

Posted: Jan 3rd, 2013 7:52 pm
by woof
I am seriously looking at this because the price is so tempting but I'll be installing it myself and don't have time right now so will probably have to wait a couple months. The 1" inlet/outlet connectors are a bit of a nuisance since I believe my existing unit and copper pipe has 3/4" connections so I'll need to buy adapters.

Posted: Jan 3rd, 2013 8:12 pm
by THINKPADT61
woof wrote: I am seriously looking at this because the price is so tempting but I'll be installing it myself and don't have time right now so will probably have to wait a couple months. The 1" inlet/outlet connectors are a bit of a nuisance since I believe my existing unit and copper pipe has 3/4" connections so I'll need to buy adapters.
I check again today, is actually $429 in store! Few months back, it was $439! Costco rocks!

Posted: Jan 3rd, 2013 9:28 pm
by GapBoyPCS
They have them at the location near me. I didn't like how the opening to pour the salt into the softener seemed a bit flimsy and narrow.

Posted: Jan 4th, 2013 12:02 am
by woof
The manufacturer sells it directly on their web site for US$ 700.00. That includes shipping (presumably US only). There's a couple of reviews there as well. They're located in Arizona. The Costco local store price of C$ 429 here in Canada is quite a deal. Repeating OP's question does anyone have this?

https://www.wattspremier.com/products.p ... tener-40K-

Posted: Jan 4th, 2013 4:40 pm
by Jamie_Canuck
it looks like a good deal... my only question would be.... 5 or 10 years down the road, or even next week for that matter, how hard would it be to get parts for it?

Posted: Jan 4th, 2013 6:43 pm
by noNuser
Jamie_Canuck wrote: it looks like a good deal... my only question would be.... 5 or 10 years down the road, or even next week for that matter, how hard would it be to get parts for it?
Most likely like water heating you will buy a new one.

Posted: Jan 4th, 2013 6:48 pm
by noNuser
How much does people charge for installing the water softener?

Posted: Jan 4th, 2013 6:54 pm
by noNuser
Anyone tried this unit before No-Salt Conditioner Model 1100

http://www.easywater.com/products/no-salt-conditioner/

Posted: Jan 4th, 2013 6:58 pm
by noNuser
Nvm doesn't work at all

Posted: Jan 4th, 2013 7:09 pm
by THINKPADT61
Here is another good deal for water softener: sears-kenmore-ultrasoft-150-high-effici ... st16107547

Anyone know if these Sears UltraSoft unit any good?

Posted: Jan 4th, 2013 7:09 pm
by noNuser
THINKPADT61 wrote: Any reason why I shouldn't buy this water softener from Costco for $439 locally? Anyone with experience using it?

Premier 40,000 gain high capacity water softener

http://www.costco.ca/Premier-40%2C000-g ... leOptOut=1

If I buy this, it will be install be a plumber.
Where you saw this unit? Which costco

Posted: Jan 4th, 2013 7:49 pm
by THINKPADT61
noNuser wrote: Where you saw this unit? Which costco
Saskatoon Costco

Posted: Jan 4th, 2013 8:56 pm
by woof
THINKPADT61 wrote: Here is another good deal for water softener: sears-kenmore-ultrasoft-150-high-effici ... st16107547
Anyone know if these Sears UltraSoft unit any good?
When I go to this Sears one I see a price of $699.97. The capacity of the Sears one is pretty low at 24,000 grains vs the Costco at 40,000. The Sears one would have to regenerate almost twice as often. It might be adequate though for up to two people but certainly not if the price has gone back up..

Posted: Jan 4th, 2013 9:26 pm
by THINKPADT61
woof wrote: When I go to this Sears one I see a price of $699.97. The capacity of the Sears one is pretty low at 24,000 grains vs the Costco at 40,000. The Sears one would have to regenerate almost twice as often. It might be adequate though for up to two people but certainly not if the price has gone back up..
Help me understand... you would want a higher grains rating so that the unit doesn't regenerate as often? as the process of regenerating will use a lot of water?

Also, I have done some reading and there are two types of control:

1. Timer base regeneration or;
2. Demand-initiated regeneration (DIR)

The DIR type is definitely going to save more water in the long run.

Anyone know if the Premier water softener sold by Costco is timer or demand-initiated base regeneration?

Posted: Jan 4th, 2013 10:00 pm
by woof
Yes. Might also save on salt although not sure about that.

Posted: Jan 4th, 2013 10:13 pm
by THINKPADT61
woof wrote: Yes. Might also save on salt although not sure about that.
Sorry, are you confirming that the Premier AF-40K water softener from Costco uses Demand-Initiated Regeneration? Meaning it will only regenerate when it is needed, not base on a set timer? If yes, I am getting it :)

Posted: Jan 5th, 2013 11:39 am
by woof
No. I am confirming nothing since I do not currently own it and the manufacturers descriptions/specifications are vague.

Posted: Jan 5th, 2013 11:55 am
by GapBoyPCS
THINKPADT61 wrote: Help me understand... you would want a higher grains rating so that the unit doesn't regenerate as often? as the process of regenerating will use a lot of water?

Also, I have done some reading and there are two types of control:

1. Timer base regeneration or;
2. Demand-initiated regeneration (DIR)

The DIR type is definitely going to save more water in the long run.

Anyone know if the Premier water softener sold by Costco is timer or demand-initiated base regeneration?
It's a mix.

I took a picture of the box a few months ago but I deleted it. My memory says the box listed it is as demand-initiated. From costco.ca, it says:
Digital demand regeneration valve with bypass valve preinstalled
Thing is, this water softener will regenerate after 15 days if there hasn't been a recharge/regeneration of soft water. So if you don't use enough soft water after 15 days since the last regeneration, this system will trigger one. You can't override this setting. It's in the installation manual that's linked in the Costco.ca page, but it's not on Watts' website. I'm not sure if that sears.ca one linked earlier has a similar setting or not.

From my shopping experience, there's a balance that you need to consider. Yes, the more grains means the water softener will regenerate less often. However, the plumbers I spoke with suggested I don't go too big of a system that would cause problems down the road if the softener didn't regenerate periodically (it's the idea that if things stagnate that whatever parts could clog etc.).

Posted: Jan 5th, 2013 6:19 pm
by THINKPADT61
I have email Watt, the maker of this costco water softener.